What should I do with a iPhone 6 that I found?

I

iMore Question

i found a iphone 6 and i turnt it off help

i found it on the street

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: i found a iphone 6 and i turnt it off help

Welcome to iMore! My suggestion is to leave it on. Hopefully someone will call and you can anwer and locate the owner. Otherwise, bring it to an Apple Store. You could take it to a police station but, from my experience, they're not much help.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Leave it on, but take it to the police. It's not your responsibility to find the owner. Let the police handle it!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

There's nothing to help with. Turn the iPhone over to local police as found property and then go about your day as a good citizen. Thanks.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Leave it on, but take it to the police. It's not your responsibility to find the owner. Let the police handle it!

The police generally don't handle it. They throw it in a box with all of the other phones that have been turned in. It's not OP's responsbility to find the owner, but I'm sure the owner would appreciate it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Are you saying you are not able to turn it back on after turning it off? It may need a charge. A local Apple Store may be able to help you if you don't have a lightning cable to charge it.

Otherwise like @DevilishBanker said, the original owner may try to call it or send a message to the phone with their contact information so you can return it to them.

calibru

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Hi ! Do a sistem restore ?n recovery mode and set iPhone as new .. I hope this will help you ...

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Hi ! Do a sistem restore ?n recovery mode and set iPhone as new .. I hope this will help you ...

Please do not try to restore someone else's phone. It will not help locate the phone's owner.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to iMore

We don't condone or advise anyone on our site to tamper with a lost or stolen device

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Sorry .. I have made a big mistake .. I messed up posts ..

No need to apologize calibru

Just letting you know

Don't shy away from posting on our site we Welcome you with open arms

Enjoy our site and Post Often

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

If you can get it turned back on, check for "In case of emergency" (ICE) in contacts. If the owner entered information there it should help you find the owner. ICE can be accessed even through the lock screen. Use Siri and say "contact ICE". Hope this helps.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site

i smell troll. anyone that knows about this site knows what to do with a lost phone. leave it on for owner to call it or take it to cops or apple etc,

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

If you can get it turned back on, check for "In case of emergency" (ICE) in contacts. If the owner entered information there it should help you find the owner. ICE can be accessed even through the lock screen. Use Siri and say "contact ICE". Hope this helps.

Good point. If the owner had Medical ID set up you can get his/her name and emergency contact information right from the lockscreen.
e9cd9c5a0edb3035a8bb55666fcf0b5a.jpg

085ef8f5a08f6df704fd68548a39ba1e.jpg

183e1fd23261224d14b3e0554859a641.jpg

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

i smell troll. anyone that knows about this site knows what to do with a lost phone. leave it on for owner to call it or take it to cops or apple etc,

Not necessarily. If they came in through Ask A Question, that's generally not a person who is familiar with the site as they're not registered. They could have come here via a google search, etc.

MJ502

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site

You can also ask Siri "who does this iphone belong to?" and she should tell you (based on the contacts in the phone). If you don't know how to do that, hold down the home button and the voice assistant "Siri" will ask you how she can help. Then ask her that question.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

You can also ask Siri "who does this iphone belong to?" and she should tell you (based on the contacts in the phone). If you don't know how to do that, hold down the home button and the voice assistant "Siri" will ask you how she can help. Then ask her that question.

I never knew you could do that. I just tried it on my own iPhone and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Good tip!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73