Facebook App

enb123

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, all. I just got my first iPhone after years with Android, and I'm loving it. The only question I have is whether my experience with the Facebook app is typical or not. I use Facebook to read a lot of articles from websites I like, and I find that links can be very slow to load in the Facebook browser. The same pages open very quickly in Safari, via a link posted to Twitter, etc., so I'm confused - it's not just the fact that the page has a lot of content, etc.

I've rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled, etc., so I'm guessing there's nothing I can do but forget about it, but was curious if this is normal for that app? I didn't find any other complaints about this. Also, what's odd is that some website links seem "preloaded" - i.e., I click on them and instead of seeing the Facebook browser pop up from the bottom, they slide in from the left hand side ready to go. This has only happened a couple of times, so I can't figure out a pattern, but they weren't "sponsored" links or anything. One was NY Times and another was BuzzFeed.

Anyone else having the same experience? Ultimately, I don't much care - the phone is great and I can use Facebook in the browser, etc. I was more just wondering if there was a "fix," although I doubt it!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
First, congratulations on your iPhone. Second, the Facebook app never works great, so I'm not sure there is anything you can do--besides let their support know.

enb123

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks - yeah, I figured it was just the app being badly coded. Maybe it's for the best - I spend too much time on Facebook anyway. I hear Google has a social network - maybe I'll check that out! ;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - yeah, I figured it was just the app being badly coded. Maybe it's for the best - I spend too much time on Facebook anyway. I hear Google has a social network - maybe I'll check that out! ;)

The problem is all the ads they put on those news sites. Twitter is the same. They slow everything down. It's in Safari as well if it comes from Facebook or Twitter. I open news from email to Safari and that's bad too. It's just too many ads. I get tired of navigating around ads. LOL

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The Facebook app is not of the highest quality unfortunately on any platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Bookmark the mobile website and put a shortcut on your home screen

Gotcha. That's called a bookmarklet. I use a lot of them. You might also try Friendly+. It's a Facebook client app. It's really neat. You can have multiple accounts on it.
Friendly+ with AdBlock by Friendly App Studio
https://appsto.re/us/4AqXw.i

There's also a free version. It's like the online in Safari version on steroids. LOL

enb123

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded Friendly+ Thanks so much for the tip - this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I love the ad-blocker in the built-in browser.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Going to try it too :)

The FB bloat is what kills me. I usually delete the fb app once a month to reset the size of the app :)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Facebook now hosts some stories on it's own servers (NYT and Buzzfeed are participating I believe) so that they load faster on mobile devices.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Used Friendly for a little while and noticed it jumped to the top of my apps list just like the official FB app does. Back to my bookmarklet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

leannelizabeth1

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha. That's called a bookmarklet. I use a lot of them. You might also try Friendly+. It's a Facebook client app. It's really neat. You can have multiple accounts on it.
Friendly+ with AdBlock by Friendly App Studio
https://appsto.re/us/4AqXw.i

There's also a free version. It's like the online in Safari version on steroids. LOL

Thank you so much for suggesting Friendly! Just downloaded the ad free version. It is just what the official Facebook app should be!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
User Friendly for a little while and noticed it jumped to the top of my apps list just like the official FB app does. Back to my bookmarklet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something has to be at the top! What difference does it make what it is? It shows what you use most. If you use something enough, it's going to use battery, including Safari!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen