Got Rid of Everything once he got his 6

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I would still want a MacBook Pro or an iMac. I have a 6 Plus and I still don't want to watch movies, create docs, etc., on it.
I guess I'm spoiled. Unless I have to be outside the house I want to watch movies on my home theater. I don't travel for a living. Even in my home office we have a 47" Sony entertainment and such. I feel like watching movies on phones and tablets just isn't very satisfying.

from the Elegance

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
My nephew is 25 years old, has masters degree in business, good job, makes plenty of money just told me he got rid of his MacBook pro and Ipad and does EVERYTHING on his Iphone 6. He said after college he doesn't write papers anymore, he sits in front of a computer all day and doesn't feel the need for anything more.

I think it is refreshing to have a young person find the perfect device that fits his life. I know all of our needs are different and for some tech stuff is a hobby, but it speaks volumes about how well built and effective the iphone has become. I on the other hand have EVERYTHING that Apple sells.. Ipad Air 2, MacBook, Apple Watch, Iphone 6+..and want more!!!

Break down of my personal computer usage;

iPhone 6 - 80%
Macbook Pro - 15%
Windows Desktop - 5%

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I use my phone 95% of the time.

The thing with the computer is that it's a chore. You have to sit down, pull it out, open it, turn it on, wait for it to boot up, and then you're pretty much forcing yourself to be stuck at it for a certain period of time.

With the phone you can pull it out wherever you are, Use it for a second, and then put it away.

And then just when you finally get it going and your browser open...Flash Player/Java/iTunes/Adobe Reader all start hounding you to update.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure it speaks to how great the iPhone is as much as is speaks to our individual needs. I personally can't do everything on my iPhone. But modern technology has made it so many of the things we previously needed a computer for we can do on our phones. Progression is great.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure it speaks to how great the iPhone is as much as is speaks to our individual needs. I personally can't do everything on my iPhone. But modern technology has made it so many of the things we previously needed a computer for we can do on our phones. Progression is great.

I think that is very true. With cloud services growing the way they have and how apps are being developed, you really can get along without a laptop if you are resourceful. I haven't needed a laptop since the iPad 2.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Look have fun playing devils advocate all you want. It's better to have something and never use it, than to need something and not have it. Again an iPhone is not a replacement for for a computer?

Ok, you are willfully ignoring the OP:

His nephew HAD a MBP and an iPad as well as his iPhone 6. Based on that, and his experiences with all 3 devices, he determined that his needs out of the office could best be served by his iPhone 6, so he got rid of the other 2.

... Or are you going to dictate what his nephew needs, having never met him nor know anything about his life?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

The only reason why I don't do everything from my iPhone is my astonishingly bad close up vision, lol. I mean I see well enough up close to view my phone comfortably but when editing files the iPad screen real estate is just nicer.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, you are willfully ignoring the OP:

His nephew HAD a MBP and an iPad as well as his iPhone 6. Based on that, and his experiences with all 3 devices, he determined that his needs out of the office could best be served by his iPhone 6, so he got rid of the other 2.

... Or are you going to dictate what his nephew needs, having never met him nor know anything about his life?

Why not? Maybe I'm right ?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would LOVE to be able to do everything from my IP6. Unfortunately my life won't allow that at this moment. It'd be great though, lol.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My brother told me a while back that he got rid of his laptop and bought a tablet. While I can certainly see it as an option, I myself need a full fledged desktop along with my iPhone where cases are needed. I cannot see myself typing long instances on a screen for one. I also need something powerful to play a good game on once and a while. To me, both are a perfect combination.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
My brother told me a while back that he got rid of his laptop and bought a tablet. While I can certainly see it as an option, I myself need a full fledged desktop along with my iPhone where cases are needed. I cannot see myself typing long instances on a screen for one. I also need something powerful to play a good game on once and a while. To me, both are a perfect combination.

I can understand that. But I will say this, I have been typing on my iPad's screen for a while now and it does get easier. And now I actually prefer it. It reminds me of when I used to have a BlackBerry and I thought it would be horrendous typing on the iPhone's virtual keyboard. I was wrong and now I wouldn't want to go back to a physical keyboard on a smartphone. Same thing with my iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

PattiM1

May 28, 2016
Visit site
How is getting rid of unnecessary and cumbersome devices an act of stupidity and short sightedness? You area *assuming* the young man doesn't have access to a desktop or a laptop, even though the original poster clearly said he sits in front of a computer all day.

My son got rid of all of his devices -- iPad, macbook pro, etc -- as well. His employer allows (stated in the company manual) employees to use their computer for personal use on breaks, lunch, and after work hours if they choose. He told me he has done that only to do his taxes. He said that, if need be, he could use a computer for free in the public library, but that in the 7 months since he bought his iPhone 6, he has not had to do that at all. I think it's very intelligent to get rid of unnecessary devices and to think outside the box.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro