I bought a stolen iPhone from someone accidentally, what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarylouL

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
bought a stolen iphone from someone accidently

hello, I bought an Iphone 6 today from someone for 600$ and when i tried to activate it, the company told me it was either lost or stolen and i couldnt use it because the owner blocked it. i tried to call the company of the owner to get his name and they weren't able to tell me, same for apple store. there is no way i can contact the actual owner and the person that sold it to me, of course, doesn't answer my texts, calls or emails. is there a way i can use it anyway ? or maybe find the owner ? thanks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: bought a stolen iphone from someone accidently

You're the proud owner of a $600 paperweight... There's no way to fix it so you can use the phone... Call police and file fraud charges against the seller of the phone...

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

If you paid by credit card or Paypal, or similar, you should be covered. If it was an envelope of used greenbacks, you're stuffed. Call the Police as kch mentioned above anyway and file a report.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

Its too late for your purchase, but posting for others:

When buying a used iPhone have the current owner WIPE the device in front of you to make sure the activation lock is removed. If they don't know how you can show them :)

Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings

They will need the Apple ID and Password used to set FindMyiPhone to wipe the device.

Sorry this happened to you and definitely file a report and claim with the selling site that you found the phone on.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Its too late for your purchase, but posting for others:

When buying a used iPhone have the current owner WIPE the device in front of you to make sure the activation lock is removed. If they don't know how you can show them :)

Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings

They will need the Apple ID and Password used to set FindMyiPhone to wipe the device.

Sorry this happened to you and definitely file a report and claim with the selling site that you found the phone on.

Good advice - especially if you demand that they meet you at the wireless provider's store OR the local police station lobby.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

You're the proud owner of a $600 paperweight... There's no way to fix it so you can use the phone... Call police and file fraud charges against the seller of the phone...

This.

Discussion closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox