Sprint iPhone 6 Craigslist fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenrp

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I purchased a Sprint iPhone 6 from Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. The seller didn't pay off the phone and is behind in payments on their Sprint account. Now I can't activate it via Sprint because of this issue. I tried contacting the seller, no luck.

Can I unlock it and sell it for use internationally? What are my options? Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Can I unlock it and sell it for use internationally? What are my options?
Sprint won't unlock it until they're paid off... some sort of 3rd party unlock service or Gevy sim might get it unlocked... caveat emptor... Other options? If the seller didn't tell you about their situation with Sprint, they committed fraud in selling you the device - contact police in the town the seller lives in and file a complaint.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The SIM should still be active in their name. You cant cancel a cell plan if the account is not in good standing.

However, if you call Sprint you should be able to get a new SIM from them and activate the phone. The SIM the old owner had is linked to their account. If you have the sales email trail from Craigslist that shows you are the valid owner Sprint should sell you a new SIM.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I purchased a Sprint iPhone 6 from Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. The seller didn't pay off the phone and is behind in payments on their Sprint account. Now I can't activate it via Sprint because of this issue. I tried contacting the seller, no luck.

Can I unlock it and sell it for use internationally? What are my options? Thanks!

I was once all about buying on CL. No more because of this reason. Even had a co-worker buy a used iPhone, met the guy in store and verified it was paid off, only for the guy to turn around and file a stolen claim on it. Buy direct from Apple, carriers or legit companies that buy and sell used phones.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
The SIM should still be active in their name. You cant cancel a cell plan if the account is not in good standing.

However, if you call Sprint you should be able to get a new SIM from them and activate the phone. The SIM the old owner had is linked to their account. If you have the sales email trail from Craigslist that shows you are the valid owner Sprint should sell you a new SIM.

If the phone is still under contract or a Jump plan and the account is not in good standing getting a new SIM card won't help. The IMEI has been blocked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2