Is iPhone 6, 16GB Model enough for a Normal User ?

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
You're not a "normal user". Most users I would say are "normal" is people who have like 4-7 games like candy crush and etc, some music, take about 10-40 pictures a month perhaps have about 1-4 social media apps and maybe 4-15 more "other" apps like for banking. With effectively 12GB or so of free space that isn't a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got Candy Crush Soda Saga, Wordox & Godus currently on my phone along with Amazon, eBay, PayPal, my Banks app, Subcard app for when I go to Subway, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, iMore app, Tapatalk, YouTube, YouTube Creator Studio, YouTube Capture, Google Hangouts, Skype, Facebook Messenger, Apple Store, 3 Sports apps, Layout, Google Photo Sphere, Google Docs, Microsoft OneNote, Sync Solver Fitbit to Health, Sync Solver Health to Fitbit, Nike+ Fuel, Nike+ Running, Instant Heart Rate, MSN Health & Fitness, Fitbit, Google Inbox, 14 assorted apps not listed & about 33 Pictures, Screenshots & Videos that I've taken in less than a month waiting to be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library & about 6 Ringtones.

I used to sync/download music to my iPhone but since  Music I tend to stream music more & will only make. Music offline for when I know I'll be away from a charger & don't want to have notifications draining my battery.

Roland

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I've got Candy Crush Soda Saga, Wordox & Godus currently on my phone along with Amazon, eBay, PayPal, my Banks app, Subcard app for when I go to Subway, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, iMore app, Tapatalk, YouTube, YouTube Creator Studio, YouTube Capture, Google Hangouts, Skype, Facebook Messenger, Apple Store, 3 Sports apps, Layout, Google Photo Sphere, Google Docs, Microsoft OneNote, Sync Solver Fitbit to Health, Sync Solver Health to Fitbit, Nike+ Fuel, Nike+ Running, Instant Heart Rate, MSN Health & Fitness, Fitbit, Google Inbox, 14 assorted apps not listed & about 33 Pictures, Screenshots & Videos that I've taken in less than a month waiting to be uploaded to iCloud Photo Library & about 6 Ringtones.

I used to sync/download music to my iPhone but since  Music I tend to stream music more & will only make. Music offline for when I know I'll be away from a charger & don't want to have notifications draining my battery.

Roland

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

As I said 11-12GB or whatever it is for the 16GB iPhone that's free and will be even less whenever they ( Apple) updates the device with a newer version of iOS*. 1GB or less left open is basically "full". Your going to be stuck with the phone for two years or perhaps even longer.

* iPhone 4 16GB had around 14.5 GB space left. iPhone 6 has a considerable amount less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
OMG, how do you listen all 6500 songs? Do you play nonstop??
My entire library of music is about 17,000 tracks, of which about 10,000 are in smart playlist rotation for the iPhone. I've been collecting music since high school in the '80s.

My music management consists of nested smart playlists to automagically move music on and off the device as I listen to them, ratings, etc. And then on the device, I play the master playlist on shuffle. In order to get a good mix on the shuffle, I need as much music on there as feasible.

And while I don't play the music non-stop, I do have an hour+ commute each way for work, and I listen to my music while at my desk. With this many tracks on the phone at once, I can go a week before I have to re-sync with iTunes to exchange music to refresh what's available.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you can somehow justify the extra $100, then you should go for the 64. I "justified" the 128gb and still have around 30 gigs free... Well worth it I think.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
If you can somehow justify the extra $100, then you should go for the 64. I "justified" the 128gb and still have around 30 gigs free... Well worth it I think.

Solid point. The 16 just isn't enough, so I didn't have a hard time "justifying " the upgrade to 64 GB. In my opinion, upgrading to the second storage option is a no-brainier. Even if you think that 16 is plenty, you will find out quickly that you can use it up in no time.

Also, if you can quadruple your storage space for $100 (16 GB to 64 GB), there really isn't a reason to stay at 16 GB.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Also, if you can quadruple your storage space for $100 (16 GB to 64 GB), there really isn't a reason to stay at 16 GB.
I believe the only real reason anyone would opt for the 16GB vs 64GB nowadays is because the $100 is more critical than the 48GB that it buys. $750 and $850 for the 64GB options is non-trivial to some which I believe to be why we so many folks with the 16GB models.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I believe the only real reason anyone would opt for the 16GB vs 64GB nowadays is because the $100 is more critical than the 48GB that it buys. $750 and $850 for the 64GB options is non-trivial to some which I believe to be why we so many folks with the 16GB models.

Tbh if you were hurting for the cash and you aren't an Apple fanboy I would just suggest an Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy S6 which at least has 32GB ( or note 4 for the large phone people ) or the HTC M9 which is a 32GB phone with a micro sd card slot. Space is important and I just think it's absurd for Apple to keep the 16GB option when you take into consideration apps are getting bigger and the phone doesn't actually come with 16GB free for the user to use.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Solid point. The 16 just isn't enough, so I didn't have a hard time "justifying " the upgrade to 64 GB. In my opinion, upgrading to the second storage option is a no-brainier. Even if you think that 16 is plenty, you will find out quickly that you can use it up in no time.

Honestly if I was only afford a new phone for $200 on contract or in my case with sprint a $20 dollar lease I would rather get an Android phone with more space or a micro sad card slot. With the amount of music I listen to is enough of a reason I could never use a 16GB phone.

I am currently paying $35 a month for my iPhone 6 plus 128GB on sprint leasing it

DmitryLu

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I love make video. And some time i think, that 64GB is not enough.
If you don't do very very many photos & video & don't need all time have it in memory of your phone (not in clouds or hdd) - hope that version with 16GB is enough.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The debate still rages! My rule of thumb. LOL
If you want more than 5 gb of music and/or huge apps or movies, get the 64 gb. Everything else, including photos, can be managed.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Tbh if you were hurting for the cash and you aren't an Apple fanboy I would just suggest an Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy S6 which at least has 32GB ( or note 4 for the large phone people ) or the HTC M9 which is a 32GB phone with a micro sd card slot. Space is important and I just think it's absurd for Apple to keep the 16GB option when you take into consideration apps are getting bigger and the phone doesn't actually come with 16GB free for the user to use.

If hurting for the cash, a S6 isn't going to help.

iphone5s

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
OP
I use a 16gb Iphone 6 w/o space issues and consider myself a normal user. If it helps, I understand the the ios 9 install will only require approximately half as much as ios 8 meaning users might be able to reclaim 1-2 gbs of storage, which will be helpful to 16gb devices.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
OP
I use a 16gb Iphone 6 w/o space issues and consider myself a normal user. If it helps, I understand the the ios 9 install will only require approximately half as much as ios 8 meaning users might be able to reclaim 1-2 gbs of storage, which will be helpful to 16gb devices.

That's incorrect. The 1.3 gb is just the space needed for the update. So to update, 1.3 gb is all you need available to do it. It has nothing to do with the space the OS takes on the device.

plokhoj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've bought iPhone 6 with 16Gb. And now I know for sure that I would never buy less then 32Gb version. I've just tiered with everyday notifications "You don't have enough storage memory".

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
If hurting for the cash, a S6 isn't going to help.

Yes it is. Both phones are $200 at the typical 2 year contract. If I remember the pricing the s6 is also cheaper at financed pricing as well. And if you want to argue the iPhone 5S the Samsung Galaxy S5 is still a better option

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
OP

a4de71f270aa88db3b56a473015c60e0.jpg

I'm running ios 9 and it's still taking the same amount of space as iOS 8 did

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro