NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week. How can I fix this?

LoisNJConrad

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I am glad that I am not the only one experiencing this, BUT, it is very annoying!. I am missing messages on google chat and imessage as they don't ring at all.

Should we post on Apple boards?

CReigeluth

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
This is definitely not a rare event. It has happened to both my iPhone 6 and my wife's iPhone 5. This is a severe problem for us, missing so many important phone calls and text messages! Apple, I hope you figure out a fix for this soon, or I will be forced to abandon you.

Goofy3

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
YEA!!! It worked.

The next question is why would an Apple designer let such an easy thing like getting a sound be soon convaluted

shilohboy 1

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: NO SOUND with TEXT MESSAGES iPhone 6, just started this week

Help, I have done everything single thing three times over on every single forum. I don't get SOUND for incoming text messages, only from people using iMessage via their iPad or computer. This is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm missing really important things daily.

I'm at the end of the rope here. I'm ready to go back to Droid as iPhone has more glitches-and they never stop.

YES the do not disturb sign is OFF
YES the sound is ON
YES the notification sound is ON.

PLEASE help.

lol it's fix there's a tiny button on top left corner flip it back forward then you'll hear it lol

Rena Cerbone

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

For me it was the following: I frequently use a bluetooth headset and/or headphones for calls and music and I also have bluetooth speakers.

Go to the settings for the text message tones. I assume that when you change the tone, you get vibration feedback, but not the alert/ringtone, when you change.

Now swipe up the "quick menu" from the bottom of the screen (i.e. where you can switch on flashlight, wlan, bluetooth etc.).

There click on the little presentation-like icon (Airplay) and check if it is set to iphone or bluetooth. For me it was set to Bluetooth.
And yes, you can have it set to Bluetooth, even when you have Bluetooth radio disabled. That is the problem.
When it is set to that, texts, calenders etc. sounds won't be playing. So switch the AirPlay to iPhone.

Hope this solves it for somebody.

phph

I too have tried everything! This has happened on every iPhone I had but I have always found a way to correct it. It is now happening on my iPhone 7 and I can't find a way around it. I have tried this last suggestion and hope it will work. Thank you so much for sharing!

Rena Cerbone

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Ok, tried the Bluetooth thing, the do not disturb thing, etc. I am going preset all my settings. See if that helps. Wish me luck. Oh, it's not an IOS 10 thing. This has been an issue for a while..

John Shkolnik

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem. It wasn't Bluetooth so my primary suspect was a new Apple Watch. I'm still not sure if it was the watch or a recent update but I finally fixed it by turning off Text Message Forwarding under Settings->Messages.

KatieMac10

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.... Wow... such a frustrating issue! Really appreciate that you shared your wisdom and experience - it's invaluable. After trying everything else multiple times, it's such a relief to have found the cause :) Blessings on you! :gold-star: You're a star :)

Susan Diego

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! This was driving me nuts as my sound notifications showed up just fine. I swiped up and found my do not disturb on. I must have hit something by accident.

TamiO31

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
This is my first iPhone and I've only had it for a couple of weeks but I've been experiencing the same problems as everyone else. However mine seem very random. At times I will get text alerts and others i won't. It's very problematic at best.
The biggest reason I started searching was I was curious that when my Bluetooth was enabled (like in the car or when using a wireless speaker) I'm not getting any text notifications and was searching for a way around this problem.
I was having a similar issue with my navigation apps,( no sound) but found the work around for that.
I know if I wasn't listening to my radio and had it turned to auxiliary most likely it would alert me through that but I don't wish to do that nor do I want to disable my Bluetooth.
There must be a way to do both.
Also thank you for the all of the other advice. I haven't tried them all yet but I'm going to. Ironically I had similar problems with my galaxy which is one of the reasons I made the switch.
My apologies for the length but I have one more question, I have used the do not disturb before on an individual basis and that person was still able to text me just not call.
I thought it was supposed to prevent both?

craig1937

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site

It is not a common "issue"...it is an isolated issue affecting only a very tiny % of the consumer base, and is best remedied by either a restore or having the device replaced/repaired by Apple if the restore doesn't remedy what is happening. Apple is not going to "fix" something that is affecting such a small amount of users.

This is happening to my iPhone 6 Plus as well. I tried all the fixes I've read online by all the different post of people. And talking to other people that I see on a regular basis, they are saying it is happening to them too. This "small percentage" is quickly growing from my perspective. At least in my neck of the words it is. There has to be a way to fix this. I use my phone for business and I miss important text messages all day long. That is not good.

dangut

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hello All,
My phone was also experiencing very low text notification sound even with ringer and alerts set to max. The ringer was nice and loud but the standard text notification sound, Bamboo and others I tried were all barely audible. I tried the complete power down with no success. Then I thought it might be my case so I had to remove the lightening cable to check but before removing my case I found removing my lightening cable did the trick. I replaced the lightening cable and it remained normal sound level. Happy now.

Kitty_Cari

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Bluetooth is off not on air play
It won't even make any sound
I can hear the ring tones and text tones in settings but nothing happens when a call or text comes through.
It's extremely irritating

Nancy Wood

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I had your experience as well. I found that I could not turn my bluetooth off as it was continually trying to connect with my car. I powered my phone down and when I powered back up, bluetooth was off and my sounds were back.

tomunc

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site

Help, I have done everything single thing three times over on every single forum. I don't get SOUND for incoming text messages, only from people using iMessage via their iPad or computer. This is causing me a lot of trouble. I'm missing really important things daily.

I'm at the end of the rope here. I'm ready to go back to Droid as iPhone has more glitches-and they never stop.

YES the do not disturb sign is OFF
YES the sound is ON
YES the notification sound is ON.

PLEASE help.

Hello, I had the same issue for a few days until I remembered that whenever there was an issue, Powering Off and re-Powering On usually fixed the issue. I did so this time and it worked.

Go ahead and give it a try.

tomunc

tjdana

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site

I have been having this problem for the last few days. Here are my symptoms and it does possibly seem bluetooth related but I have no bluetooth on.

1) Text message notifications not audible: I cannot hear the sound at all when any/all messages come through. I checked DO NOT DISTURB, checked messages settings, checked sounds setting and ringer and alerts is on high volume. In the sounds settings when I change the ringtone, I can hear all the sounds. For anything else I cannot hear the sounds but can get it to vibrate
2) Phone does ring with tone with incoming calls
3) Headphones work
4) Speaker phone works
5) When I answer phone calls I CANNOT hear the person talking to me

I have checked the airplay but my screen says Airplay Mirroring (is this the same thing) and when I click on it, I don't see a choice for bluetooth. It just says looking for your apple TV.

This is driving me nuts!

texgirl97

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Check the notification section in settings. If they are off for message or phone or email. You won't get anything. Even if speciality sound is programmed

MegaraB1

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
Since the last Skype update I'm not getting Skype notifications of incoming messages on my iPhone- no sound - no alert (or banner) help please!!!
I've checked all the settings I can think of and tried changing them and restarting and changing them back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen