Why does my screen black out during calls and phone not respond when activate voice and data over lte?

I

iMore Question

Screen blacks out during call and phone not respond when activate voice and data over lte

Love your podcasts. Have IPhone 6 on Verizon. Since turning on voice and data over lte every now and then on call screen turns black (like proximity sensor), but when happens is NO WAY to recover (or do anything on phone) till other party hangs up. Home button, and any other button, ceases working. When phone new last year, neither Apple nor Verizon could solve. Sent me new phone. Still has problem. Happens maybe once every two weeks. Have reset to factory, etc. Even happens before add any other programs. Finally took to Apple store this week and they could not solve - although they did find numerous posts in Apple support forum (some even this month, some old) with others with exact same problem. No solutions. They entered into some type of Apple database to bring to Apple's attention. Again, only happens when turn on voice and data over lte. When happens screen turns black and NOTHING works on the phone till other party hangs up, then phone is automatically ok.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Screen blacks out during call and phone not respond when activate voice and data over lte

I have that feature activated on an iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (both AT&T) and have no problems.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Screen blacks out during call and phone not respond when activate voice and ...

Same here, Bugeric23. No problems whatsoever in this regard. Anyway, OP, if you have a case on it, does it occur when the case is off?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Screen blacks out during call and phone not respond when activate voice and ...

Same here, Bugeric23. No problems whatsoever in this regard. Anyway, OP, if you have a case on it, does it occur when the case is off?

That, Sir, is a great troubleshooting question. :gold-star:

Edward Weinberg

May 26, 2015
Visit site
My understanding from posts on Apple support forum is that only happens on Verizon. Also, I have no case. Interestingly it really isn't just the proximity sensor staying on - as when the proximity sensor is on (try it by covering the sensor during a call), you always can return to home screen by pushing the home button. When this problem occurs the phone does not respond (stays black with the call in progress) regardless if home button is pushed. Does not "release" black screen until other caller hangs up.

This appears to be a widespread problem on Verizon Iphone 6 whenever voice AND data over lte is activated. Again, it is NOT a case or anything interfering with the proximity sensor itself.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen blacks out during call and phone not respond when activate voice and data over lte

A lot of users here with the 6 on Verizon. First I've heard of this.

Edward Weinberg

May 26, 2015
Visit site

First - must have the voice and data over lte switch set. If you google the apple support forums you will find many messages citing this exact problem, some as late as this month. Apple store tech viewed the Apple support forum messages along with me last week and agreed messages were exactly on point. Are numerous messages with problem and it has been narrowed down to Verizon with that switch activated.

diogeron

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
05-28-2015, 09:15 AMEdward Weinberg

Does that mean you have to set voice and data or that is the problem? Unclear about the first sentence

First - must have the voice and data over lte switch set. If you google the apple support forums you will find many messages citing this exact problem, some as late as this month. Apple store tech viewed the Apple support forum messages along with me last week and agreed messages were exactly on point. Are numerous messages with problem and it has been narrowed down to Verizon with that switch activated.

diogeron

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Same thing here. I took it to the verizon store and they told me the sensor must be dirty. Didn't fix it when I cleaned it. Very frustrating

LlammaMomma

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the exact issue with my iPhone 6 and Verizon. It created an issue last night trying to call in a power outage and I could not get a keypad to show so I could press on the appropriate numbers, Is there a solution? What is the downside of using LTE only for data? How much does the voice quality degrade, and does that eliminate the blackout issue?

Last edited:

greyheeler

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been having the occasional blackouts on my iphone 6 with Verizon. Only noticed it after updating to ios 9.1. Haven't figured out the trend yet., but it is a pain.

Hazard230

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 on the Verizon network with the same black screen during phone calls. DO NOT replace parts(proximity sensor) like I did. The issue is with the way Verizon uses Voice for LTE, this causes the iphone to go into a black screen and be unresponsive. To fix this go into your phone settings and set up LTE only for Data, not for Voice and Data. This should remedy the black screen issue on the Verizon Iphone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6 on the Verizon network with the same black screen during phone calls. DO NOT replace parts(proximity sensor) like I did. The issue is with the way Verizon uses Voice for LTE, this causes the iphone to go into a black screen and be unresponsive. To fix this go into your phone settings and set up LTE only for Data, not for Voice and Data. This should remedy the black screen issue on the Verizon Iphone.

I use VoLTE on Verizon all of the time with no black screen issue. Perhaps there's more to it than that.

Dennysiphone

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site

Love your podcasts. Have IPhone 6 on Verizon. Since turning on voice and data over lte every now and then on call screen turns black (like proximity sensor), but when happens is NO WAY to recover (or do anything on phone) till other party hangs up. Home button, and any other button, ceases working. When phone new last year, neither Apple nor Verizon could solve. Sent me new phone. Still has problem. Happens maybe once every two weeks. Have reset to factory, etc. Even happens before add any other programs. Finally took to Apple store this week and they could not solve - although they did find numerous posts in Apple support forum (some even this month, some old) with others with exact same problem. No solutions. They entered into some type of Apple database to bring to Apple's attention. Again, only happens when turn on voice and data over lte. When happens screen turns black and NOTHING works on the phone till other party hangs up, then phone is automatically ok.

I have LTE set to off for both data and voice and I experience the black out problem on Verizon with my iphone 6 plus.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh