Swiftkey is better than the stock Apple Keyboard?

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
According to The Verge:
The best keyboard for the iPhone | The Verge

Personally the addition of 3rd party keyboards was the last little push that got me to come over to iOS and swiftkey is without a doubt my favorite. I have been using it since shortly after it was released and after giving others a shot always came back.

There have been many keyboard posts in the forums and it seems the community is pretty split, many are used to the stock keyboard and stick with it others like the new options or a used to them from other devices.

I find it interesting that the verge chose swiftkey over stock especially when talking about stock (in the runner up section) they say that stock is the most "reliable" which seems like for many users would be most important. Swiftkey has a lot of bells and whistles that I personally find very useful like how it learns from gmail, facebook, evernote etc. my words and phrases and syncs across devices, but it seems for an iOS device "bells and whistles" kinda get put on the back burner for reliability, so their choice seems a bit contradictory based on how they usually conduct themselves over there.

Your thoughts?

Also for Android Keyboards, Google Keyboard won 'Best' and Swiftkey was runner-up.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is IMO! It's smarter, has more functionally, a dark theme option and other neat stuff. It's improved a lot since iOS 8 started. You can choose predictive or Swype styles.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It is IMO! It's smarter, has more functionally, a dark theme option and other neat stuff. It's improved a lot since iOS 8 started. You can choose predictive or Swype styles.

For my uses I agree. Swiftkey is "better" than stock. I have never liked stock personally but maybe being used to Swiftkey has jaded me to the more simple approach. What I think would actually make it a 'no-contest scenario' is if Swiftkey had a bit less hiccups and had the full functionally of it's android counterpart (emoji prediction is sorely missed).

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
For me stock is better. I like having everything the same. I dislike having different keyboards open for different things I open. If I open iMessages then swift will be up,if I've last used it. If I open something with a password then stock opens up. Just me but I like things to be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
SwiftKey is cool. I would like the keys a little bigger. I always find myself going back to the stock keyboard after a few days.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There is a problem with all 3rd party keyboards on iOS. The messages app will freeze up at times and the keyboard will vanish. Then you have to swipe it out of the multitasking tray. But that's not the fault of SwiftKey. I think it's an issue Apple needs to fix. But it's not near as bad now.
My keyboards:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430791272.443728.jpg

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I try and try to get on swiftkey but I can't. It's still damn buggy. If I open a message it doesn't auto scroll to the last message so I have to swipe down first to see what they have said. Stock works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk for 

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I try and try to get on swiftkey but I can't. It's still damn buggy. If I open a message it doesn't auto scroll to the last message so I have to swipe down first to see what they have said. Stock works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk for 

Many of the bugs that plague 3rd party keyboards are not the developers fault they are issues with the implementation of 3rd party keyboards in general that Apple needs to sort out.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't notice any bugginess with SwiftKey, other than the issues on the messages app which has improved greatly since 8.0. If I have to swipe the messages app out of the multitasking tray a couple times a day, it's still worth using SwiftKey. For me anyway. I can't take the constant email addresses popping up when I don't want them in the stock keyboard. I've tried everything to make it stop. Even reset the keyboard dictionary. And the predictive words on the stock keyboard are hard for me to see. I don't like low contrast. For me, the benefits of SwiftKey outweigh any issues 3rd party keyboards may have.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't notice any bugginess with SwiftKey, other than the issues on the messages app which has improved greatly since 8.0. If I have to swipe the messages app out of the multitasking tray a couple times a day, it's still worth using SwiftKey. For me anyway. I can't take the constant email addresses popping up when I don't want them in the stock keyboard. I've tried everything to make it stop. Even reset the keyboard dictionary. And the predictive words on the stock keyboard are hard for me to see. I don't like low contrast. For me, the benefits of SwiftKey outweigh any issues 3rd party keyboards may have.

Exactly this.

redsharktibby

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I've tried every keyboard out there but keep going back to the stock keyboard. I guess I'm old school like that but I'm glad Apple finally came out with third party keyboard support so I could at least try it.

Sent from my gold iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711