Why is my Camera Roll folder on my PC empty when my iPhone 6 folder is not?

jkosmensky

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
When I upgraded to a new PC (HP Envy running Windows 8) earlier this year, I copied all my iPhone photos from my old PC to the new one and placed them in the default Pictures folder on my PC. Everything is there except what is currently in my Camera Roll folder on my iPhone. And yes, I did just perform a sync.

The Camera Roll folder on my PC is empty so I am unable to move pictures from my Camera Roll into my iPhone photo albums. Does my iPhone put the Camera Roll pictures somewhere else on my PC?

I have my Sync Photos "copy photos from" set to my iPhone Photos folder and Camera Roll is selected under the Folders to sync.

Anybody know what is going on here?

Many thanks,

Jill

DJxDARIENx

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I found the easiest way to just create a different folder and put that whole folder onto the phone through iTunes. I spent the day I got my phone trying to figure out how to sync my photos. After connected my phone I get the iCloud photos also but I have iCloud photos turned off on both so it's pointless. The folder have to be one filled with all the pictures, trying to sync different folders will only delete Everyrhing BUT the new photos off the iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong

jkosmensky

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi Keith:

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. However, I don't have my photos in iCloud, nor do I want them there. I just want to find the camera roll folder on my PC, if it is even really there. :) Or create one where my iTunes will find it. I don't care about sharing them across devices, I just want to manipulate them between my phone and my PC. Thanks again!

jkosmensky

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi DjxDARIENx - Thanks for your quick response too.

I don't think I understand what you are saying, but perhaps I am just being dense. I have one folder on my PC called iPhone Photos. Within it are the folders that contain my albums, one folder per album, plus a folder for the Camera Roll, which my iPhone or iTunes does not recognize. Everything else it finds with no problems. Do you have your "one folder" set up with sub-folders or did you just move/copy all your pictures into just one folder on your computer, delete all the pictures on the phone, and then set iTunes to find that one folder on the next sync? Does that put everything then into the Camera Roll on the phone and then I would have to sort them all back into albums again? That's more trouble than it is worth, if that is what you mean. That might actually force me to put my photos on iCloud, which would mean paying Apple every month for the extra storage needs I would incur. LOL. But I will continue to ponder your suggestion. Thanks again!

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
You can't copy photos into your camera roll from your PC. If you sync photos that are on your PC to your iPhone using iTunes photo sync then it will place the photos on your iPhone in their corresponding folders/albums but not into your camera roll.

If what you're saying is you want to copy the photos off your iPhone's camera roll onto your PC then you just plug your iphone into your PC using the lightening cable and it should pop up with a dialog which allows you to click open to view files on device. If not then open windows explorer and under my computer on the left you will see your iphone listed, from there click on it and the folder that appears and you will see all your camera roll photos from there you can select them all or just the ones you want and copy them then go into your pictures folder on your PC and paste them into a new folder. If you don't have any photos on your iPhone's camera roll then it won't appear within windows explorer.

It sounds like you've created a folder in your pictures folder and called it camera roll and you are expecting to see your camera roll here. This isn't the case and your camera roll will be displayed under your iPhone on the left hand side bar under my computer.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi DjxDARIENx - Thanks for your quick response too.

I don't think I understand what you are saying, but perhaps I am just being dense. I have one folder on my PC called iPhone Photos. Within it are the folders that contain my albums, one folder per album, plus a folder for the Camera Roll, which my iPhone or iTunes does not recognize. Everything else it finds with no problems. Do you have your "one folder" set up with sub-folders or did you just move/copy all your pictures into just one folder on your computer, delete all the pictures on the phone, and then set iTunes to find that one folder on the next sync? Does that put everything then into the Camera Roll on the phone and then I would have to sort them all back into albums again? That's more trouble than it is worth, if that is what you mean. That might actually force me to put my photos on iCloud, which would mean paying Apple every month for the extra storage needs I would incur. LOL. But I will continue to ponder your suggestion. Thanks again!

Just to clarify you can't use the folder you've created within pictures called camera roll as this is a reserved name and as you know already exists on your iphone. Call it something else more meaningful then copy the photos you want to appear into the that folder then you can sync it via iTunes like the other folders.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711