Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrtoner
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    mws_1984's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts

    Default What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

    I had my "pages" app on my iphone 6 need an update. But it is basically stuck loading. Icon on my screen shows like the clock image over it and it is stuck at 3/4 complete. What would be best thing to do? Delete it and reinstall it? It isn't something I use so maybe I could just delete it.
  2. #2  
    dcharleyultra's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    This just happened to me with Google Sheets, Orbitz and Pages.

    On my iPhone 6 Plus, I had to delete the apps using iTunes. Then installing the apps went fine.

    My iPad Air 2 was a different story. I couldn't delete the apps using iTunes because only the Update option was available. The Remove option wasn't available.

    I took the iPad to the Apple Store last night, and we finally fixed it.

    This is what worked:
    First, we used Settings-> General-> Usage-> Storage-> Manage Storage to delete the offending apps.
    Second, we Reset All Settings. The apps then installed correctly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    mws_1984's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    Quote Originally Posted by dcharleyultra View Post
    This just happened to me with Google Sheets, Orbitz and Pages.

    On my iPhone 6 Plus, I had to delete the apps using iTunes. Then installing the apps went fine.

    My iPad Air 2 was a different story. I couldn't delete the apps using iTunes because only the Update option was available. The Remove option wasn't available.

    I took the iPad to the Apple Store last night, and we finally fixed it.

    This is what worked:
    First, we used Settings-> General-> Usage-> Storage-> Manage Storage to delete the offending apps.
    Second, we Reset All Settings. The apps then installed correctly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's just one app for me. What does the reset do? I don't want to go messing with anything else. Just that one app is an issue. I don't use it, so maybe I could just delete it.
  4. #4  
    mike770's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

    Default App stuck updating

    I've had the same thing happen to me. A reboot took care of it. Hold down the sleep/wake button and the home button until the phone shuts down.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mike770; 04-26-2015 at 08:23 PM.
  5. #5  
    dcharleyultra's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    Quote Originally Posted by mws_1984 View Post
    It's just one app for me. What does the reset do? I don't want to go messing with anything else. Just that one app is an issue. I don't use it, so maybe I could just delete it.
    Reset All Settings changes device settings back to factory default, without removing apps or data.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    mws_1984's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    Quote Originally Posted by dcharleyultra View Post
    Reset All Settings changes device settings back to factory default, without removing apps or data.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'll just leave it alone I don't want to change all my settings back if I reset it. Even doing a restart of phone didnt do anything now it's just stuck as "waiting"
  7. #7  

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    Quote Originally Posted by mws_1984 View Post
    Yeah I'll just leave it alone I don't want to change all my settings back if I reset it. Even doing a restart of phone didnt do anything now it's just stuck as "waiting"
    Try toggling on auto app update in settings.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮
  8. #8  
    Khairul Akmal1's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    13 Posts

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    Happens to me. But anything will be fix by a reboot
  9. #9  

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    Quote Originally Posted by Khairul Akmal1 View Post
    Happens to me. But anything will be fix by a reboot
    That usually works.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮
  10. #10  
    mrtoner's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    My iPad 3 on iOS 8.3 started doing this several days ago and I had 31 apps that would not update. A reboot did not help. I also found that I could no longer backup or sync it to iTunes.

    I took a less drastic step of resetting only the network settings and all was well after that.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: App stuck updating

    Quote Originally Posted by mrtoner View Post
    My iPad 3 on iOS 8.3 started doing this several days ago and I had 31 apps that would not update. A reboot did not help. I also found that I could no longer backup or sync it to iTunes.

    I took a less drastic step of resetting only the network settings and all was well after that.
    Excellent, and I'm glad you took the time to figure it out.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    mws_1984's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

    I tried to delete it and can't. If I hold screen to get the option to move apps around or delete them. This one had no little x on it. Tried to turn off and turn back in and still there. I can't figure how to post screenshots on threads to show.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

    Quote Originally Posted by mws_1984 View Post
    I tried to delete it and can't. If I hold screen to get the option to move apps around or delete them. This one had no little x on it. Tried to turn off and turn back in and still there. I can't figure how to post screenshots on threads to show.
    Sign out of the iTunes & App Store. Reboot the iPhone. Delete the app and then sign back in to the iTunes & App Store.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    mws_1984's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    116 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

    If I hold down to delete it it doesn't do anything. I did the steps you said to
  15. #15  
    Rebecca Schmidt1's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

    Thanks! this is the ONLY thing I found that worked
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Schmidt1 View Post
    Thanks! this is the ONLY thing I found that worked
    I always go to Settings > General > Usage >Manage storage > scroll to the App > Tap on the app> Tap delete. Then go back and download it.
  17. #17  
    Honey Beagle's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,567 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best thing to do when apps are stuck updating?

    What I do and works all the time is restart the download.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2016, 02:57 PM
  2. Watch app won't check for updates
    By rijc99 in forum Apple Watch
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 05:51 PM
  3. iOS Mail vs. Outlook Mail app
    By iamivanwilliams in forum iOS 8
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 09:44 PM
  4. Why am I unable to update apps on my iPad 4?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 11:12 AM
  5. Why did only half my photos migrate to new Photo app?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions