Does anyone else notice this issue? This is now my third iPhone 6 and they all have had it. The top 3/16 to 1/4" of the screen looks darker and discolored. It's kind of a brownish/yellowish color. Other people may not see it but I definitely do. I really notice it on an all white background. I've found online that a lot of other people have also had this issue. I'm tired of having to keep calling Apple about this when all they do is send a another with the same issue and don't carry my AppleCare over. The senior advisor I spoke with last time offered me a goodwill gesture and I told him I don't want it, I just want a phone with no problems. This has been an ongoing thing since December. After this whole experience I don't know if I will ever buy Apple again which is disappointing because I really had my sights set on a MacBook.
    03-29-2015 09:13 AM
    I have my 6 and don't notice any issues with discoloration. Sorry you are having these issues.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk
    03-29-2015 09:40 AM
    If an AppleStore could find a phone with a screen that met your expectations, my guess is there'd be some other fault with the one with a good screen...
    03-29-2015 09:40 AM
    Unfortunately I don't have an Apple Store near me so I have to do everything over the phone which doesn't help. I'm not sure what you're implying but the screen discoloration is the only problem I've been having. The vibration on this replacement is louder than my last one but that doesn't really bother me.
    03-29-2015 10:27 AM
    It's a phenomena that happens to a lot of back lit screens...it's called "Spotlighting", and is usually ONLY prevalent on full white backgrounds, and even then, mostly only in dark conditions. It has to do with light saturation in certain areas of the screen, and not with "discoloration" as you're reporting.

This isn't something specific to Apple products either...it's common in ALL products that use backlit screens. Look it up...you'll find it with nearly every product ever made with a backlit screen (including every iPhone that has ever been made).

If it's too much for you to handle, there's really not much you're going to be able to do as it's not really something manufacturers ever "fix", and probably won't be addressed until back lighting technology is changed or upgraded significantly, which probably won't happen for a while.
    03-29-2015 03:49 PM
    I've never heard of this issue until now. But I see a thread on it on Apple's forums from September.
    I don't see anything like this on my 6Plus. I tried a all white wallpaper and it looks ok to me.
    The only thing I see are the smudges and funk lol on my screen protector with a all white background.
    Some people say it's on all of their devices. One guy mentioned going through 7 iPad Air 2's. Yikes.
    The only device I have with this issue is my Kindle Paperwhite.
    03-29-2015 04:35 PM
    It's a panel uniformity issue not a phenomena. It's well researched and documented and for the most part fixed in professional use CCFL based panels (good luck making one in this size). It's not yet 100% fixed in LED's without using LED full array dimming/brightening to compensate (which presents problems with what will control the array in real time because of IPS panels already requiring incredibly high quality backlights (they allow less light to pass through than most TN's, albeit this is changing A LOT with offset pixels also e-IPS technology impacting substrates to allow more light to pass through (thus lower quality backlights being required).
    On monitor's it's fully doable because monitors can use as much power as they really want, and space is rarely an issue.

What I am trying to say OP is: You won't get one with such a high level of uniformity by playing lottery. If you want talk to Apple and ask them if they can have the displays tested for panel uniformity and find you one with under 10% uniformity difference. Good luck!
    03-29-2015 04:58 PM
    The top of my iPhone 5 has a dirty look. It makes light colored wallpapers look bad. It's intentional so the date/Time shows up on the lock screen well. This may be the same issue. You can see the difference in the wallpaper and the screen here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427673437.937890.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	79205

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮
    03-29-2015 06:57 PM
    I haven't experienced that particular issue with my iPhone 6.
    03-29-2015 08:33 PM
    No problems here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-29-2015 08:58 PM
    I haven't experienced that particular issue with my iPhone 6.
    Have you ever used light colored wallpapers? You wouldn't notice it with dark wallpapers.

03-30-2015 07:55 AM
    Here's another example of how Apple discolors the top portion of the screen.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427726063.309393.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	79222

03-30-2015 09:34 AM
    My iPhone 6 has the same problem – there is a slight graying toward the right side of the screen. My wife's iPhone 6 has the same issue. Neither my iPhone 5 nor my wife's iPhone 5 had this issue. (Nor did our iPhone 4s.)

It is not noticeable when viewing photos or video or anything with a dark background. However, any screen with a white background, it is noticeable. Since I read a lot on my iPhone, the gray area is almost always visible.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar, but I have a feeling that they won't be able to address it. Or they'll swap it out for a another phone, which will likely have the same problem.
    04-08-2015 02:20 PM
    The top of my iPhone 5 has a dirty look. It makes light colored wallpapers look bad. It's intentional so the date/Time shows up on the lock screen well. This may be the same issue. You can see the difference in the wallpaper and the screen here.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427673437.937890.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	79205

Wow. I've never noticed that before! Thanks for pointing that out!
    04-08-2015 02:31 PM
    My iPhone 6 has the same problem there is a slight graying toward the right side of the screen. My wife's iPhone 6 has the same issue. Neither my iPhone 5 nor my wife's iPhone 5 had this issue. (Nor did our iPhone 4s.)

It is not noticeable when viewing photos or video or anything with a dark background. However, any screen with a white background, it is noticeable. Since I read a lot on my iPhone, the gray area is almost always visible.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar, but I have a feeling that they won't be able to address it. Or they'll swap it out for a another phone, which will likely have the same problem.
    It's generally the top third of the screen. Apple wants the time/Date on the lock screen to show better. Also for apps to "pop". It's not a bug.

04-08-2015 02:38 PM
    Wow, lots of fanboys rushing to the defense of the almighty apple lol. My iPhone 6 screen displays the exact same defect, a yellowish blob extending from the top left of the screen to about a third below the top. Very irritating, and this is in no way by design as others have alluded to as it is not uniform across the top, but rather resembles a streak.
    08-16-2015 09:22 AM
    Wow, lots of fanboys rushing to the defense of the almighty apple lol. My iPhone 6 screen displays the exact same defect, a yellowish blob extending from the top left of the screen to about a third below the top. Very irritating, and this is in no way by design as others have alluded to as it is not uniform across the top, but rather resembles a streak.
    I quit reading after "fanboys"....
    Bigeric23 likes this.
    08-16-2015 09:47 AM
    If it's irritating, your phone is under warranty and get it swapped. Coming here with your first post calling people fan boys makes you look like a troll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bigeric23 likes this.
    08-16-2015 10:50 AM
    I feel your frustration. I've been though 7 now and they have all shown this very same problem some worse than others on different parts of the screen. I had one decent one with really good color uniformity and only one barely noticeable dark smudge but I sent it back to fix the FaceTime camera and they sent me back another dud. Had them send me an express replacement and it's the same. Yellow darkish upper left corner/quadrant and color temp shifts from a warm white to a cool white left to right. I see reports of this on the new 6S as well so I don't think they care. They are pumping out as many phones as they can and have lowered their standards. It's the post jobs era.
    09-27-2015 09:18 AM
    I am having an same issue, so i have given it to the Apple Service Provider out here..
    10-01-2015 05:37 PM
    I have this yellowish color too on my top of the screen on my iphone 6 then the screen is warmer on the right than on the left side and my question is will it spread all over my screen? will it harm your phone? Or lead to something to blackout the screen or something? Thanks!
    10-01-2016 06:57 PM