Does the GPS/google maps work as it should?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Even if turn by turn uses data it's not going to even put a dent on your data usage. And if you're in a bad area without cell signal the maps cache anyway like Sean said.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Why wouldn't it?
for one... If you didn't get all your maps cached for a route, and you lost cellular data...and travel outside of the area of the maps you've cached, you're screwed. You put the phone in Airplane mode... The GPS receiver gets turned off... You're screwed for location services...

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
for one... If you didn't get all your maps cached for a route, and you lost cellular data...and travel outside of the area of the maps you've cached, you're screwed. You put the phone in Airplane mode... The GPS receiver gets turned off... You're screwed for location services...

Ya don't say

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I was just driving around Newark and Google Maps on a Droid Maxx embarrassed Apple Maps. I'm not even sure where Apple Maps was trying to send me, but half the streets they were telling us to turn on either weren't there anymore, or weren't the same name. It was extremely confusing. Google Maps had no issues. Google Maps on iOS should be just as superior.

Doesn't Nokia have Here Maps on iOS with offline maps, now? Last time I tried it, it was really good (but that was on Android).

Does Google Maps on iOS require a Google Account to use (too lazy to install and find out, I have a backup M8 that I use it on so never had a need to install it on my iPhone)?

I don't care that much, because I don't use navigation often anyways. I just fired it up because the other person was being slow on his phone and managed to get his up and running a few seconds after I set mine, so I decided to see if the routes would have differed. I still think Apple Maps sounds better and gives directions at better times (with fewer redundant directions in between, but some people may actually prefer the way Google "keeps tabs" on things).

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Even if turn by turn uses data it's not going to even put a dent on your data usage. And if you're in a bad area without cell signal the maps cache anyway like Sean said.

Maps uses a ton of data. I think people just don't realize just how much of a data hog navigation apps can be when you use them a lot. Had to up our data plan last year because the other person on it, who drives around a ton for work, was using 2.5-3GB data a month, just from Google Maps. They are very Data and Power Hungry apps when used moderately to heavily.

Using Here Maps gets rid of that issue, however it does require hefty map downloads (not an issue on a 64GB Phone, but may make you think twice on a 32, and about 10x on a 16GB device :p ).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice