You want a thicker and heavier iPhone 6 to get a thicker battery in there? Really?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I was going to make a thread on this earlier then decided it wasn't worth it. Then I saw Rene's article and the comments from people acting like they wouldn't mind if the iPhone 6 was as thick and heavy as the iPhone 4 and I call BS. The origin of the discussion is based off Christopher Mims' article about thickness and battery life from The Wall Street Journal that I can't post here but you'll find it on Google.

Would you really not complain at all that the iPhone was heavier because Apple wanted to put a thicker battery in there? You know, how like when Apple actually made the iPad 3/4 thicker and heavier than the 2 in order to cram the retina display in there and it made the iPad very uncomfortable to hold and use for long periods of time?

Also keep in mind that a bigger screen would actually make it heavier if it was as thick as an iPhone 4 resulting in not feeling comfortable in one hand as it does now.

What's say you? Bigger and thicker battery and sacrifice the thinness, lightness and portability?

Note: 6 Plus owners can apply this thread to their situation too if they'd like to chime in here.

FlyHigh365

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming the people that can't put their phones down and enjoy life are the ones that want a bigger iphone with a heavy/thicker battery. People are never satisfied.

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424785463.868835.jpg

35 minute call a few text and checking email to start my day and 1% of battery lost. I never have battery issues and I use my phone for calls and email most of the day. I hope they don't make it thicker just get rideof the top bezel and I'll switch to a 6+ but right now it's too long of a phone.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Had there been a big thick iPhone released for better battery there would have been so many negative comments it would be insane

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
For me it’s simple, really. Thinness and weight are no factors that I consider when buying a smartphone, because these are mostly decent in most modern high-end smartphones. Battery life is. With Android you can explicitly make that choice, but not so with iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some people, myself included, did not mind the thickness and weight of the iPhone 4 and 4S, and I'm sure there are people who wouldn't mind the successor to the iPhone 6 Plus to be likewise. Having said that, I'm not one of them. The iPhone 5 is basically the same thickness of my iPhone 6 Plus in its Tech 21 Impactology Classic Black Tactical case. However, I think the device would be too heavy if it was built like the aforementioned iPhone 4/4S. With that in mind, I would not want a "thicker & heavier" iPhone 6 Plus size device, but I also wouldn't want a paper thin and feather-light device either.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I would be perfectly happy with a heavier iphone than the 5 or 6 in exchange for better battery life. After all I still live in earth gravity and don't suffer from muscle wastage, I go outdoors sometimes too !

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Apple got flack for the iPad 3 and 4 when they went from going thinner to thicker in order to sacrifice that for the retina display. Had the iPhone 6's stayed as thick as the 5 while being overall bigger phones because of the screens then they would be uncomfortable to use with one hand. We still have people saying they can't hold these phones comfortably with one hand as the phones are right now. People can make jokes about how you need "muscles" to hold it if it was heavier and blah blah. It's not about that. It's about the device feeling comfortable in your hand. And who is to say that making them thicker would guarantee that much more battery life anyway?

Again, I just think that people who clamor about this subject say they would take a thicker device in an instant for more battery, but they'd be the first in line to cry about how uncomfortable the phone is to use.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd DEFINITELY not want a thicker heavier iPhone 6 for a bigger battery. I'm sure the majority of iPhone users would agree..

Well a recent poll of people who wanted longer battery life would disagree with you. The iPhone 6 already is almost too thin to the point it feels like it needs a case just to hold onto it. Add 1-2 mm and fit a larger battery in and people won't complain.

FlyHigh365

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well a recent poll of people who wanted longer battery life would disagree with you. The iPhone 6 already is almost too thin to the point it feels like it needs a case just to hold onto it. Add 1-2 mm and fit a larger battery in and people won't complain.

I don't understand why people can't just put the phone down for a few hours rather than complain about the size of the battery..

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people can't just put the phone down for a few hours rather than complain about the size of the battery..

Maybe some people use their phone for things like you know um work, or have to be on it. Saying "don't use your phone" and the battery will last is a pretty crappy argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
However thin they make the iPhone, mine will have a big Bulky case on it. I need something to grip on to.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

Ticojpunk

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Just a tiny bit thicker would be perfect. They have definitely reached the ultimate point of thin. I can't imagine them getting any thinner.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
With my protective case on my phone is a lot thicker and it also heavier than without the case. I can use it for extended periods of time without complaining about the weight. I too wouldn't mind it being a little bit thicker just for grip reasons and also of course battery life would be a bonus. However, I like that Apple made the device thin and its up to us to add thickness or extra battery life with accessories. I just think to say that its "BS" for people to want a thicker phone isn't realistic. There are legitimate reasons.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm a nexus 6 owner and an ipad mini owner plus a ridiculous number of other devices. I don't care what device it is. If I can get more battery life by giving up an oz or two of weight and a mm or less of depth...seriously? I have work to get done and a mobile computer that needs to keep up. This whole argument is ridiculous. Its a fanboy thing.

Posted via the iMore App for Android