Getting my new iPhone6! Is 16gb Good Enough Though?

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Good day all!! :) I just recently ordered a new iPhone6 16gb. I'm upgrading from an iPhone5 with 16gb. I just recently deleted 422 photos from my phone, deleted some iTunes songs that I normally don’t listen to and a few apps and videos. Now, I didn’t want to delete all of them but I did because I figured I needed as much space as possible for when I switch everything over to the 6. After deleting I went from 1.5gb to 2.9gb available. Again, I did not want to have to delete all of those items. With that said:

• Is 1.5 gb a lot? Could I have been fine with that?
  • What is the best site to send your photos to? Dropbox? Google? Or are there better/more secure ones that I do not know about?

I don’t play games on my phone. I mainly use it for social media (FB, Insta, Twitter & Snap), to take photos, very few videos, to stream Netflix from, work email and iTunes which occasionally I will use Spotify or iTunes radio.

I do have an option to switch from the 16gb to 64gb but would prefer not to have to spend the extra money if not necessary and have it be a waste because I don’t need all of the space, but then again, I do not want to have to constantly delete photos, apps that I like, etc. to make room. (but do not mind moving SOME photos to a dropbox type location). I do like to keep some that I haven't edited/used.

Do you think that I’ll be ok with the 1.5gb that I had left or do you all recommend sucking it up and paying the extra $100 for space?

I look forward to you experts :cool: for an honest opinion!! Thanks in advance!! :love-struck:

Hansana

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Good day all!! :) I just recently ordered a new iPhone6 16gb. I'm upgrading from an iPhone5 with 16gb. I just recently deleted 422 photos from my phone, deleted some iTunes songs that I normally don?t listen to and a few apps and videos. Now, I didn?t want to delete all of them but I did because I figured I needed as much space as possible for when I switch everything over to the 6. After deleting I went from 1.5gb to 2.9gb available. Again, I did not want to have to delete all of those items. With that said:

• Is 1.5 gb a lot? Could I have been fine with that?
  • What is the best site to send your photos to? Dropbox? Google? Or are there better/more secure ones that I do not know about?

I don?t play games on my phone. I mainly use it for social media (FB, Insta, Twitter & Snap), to take photos, very few videos, to stream Netflix from, and iTunes which occasionally I will use Spotify or iTunes radio.

I do have an option to switch from the 16gb to 64gb but would prefer not to have to spend the extra money if not necessary and have it be a waste because I don?t need all of the space, but then again, I do not want to have to constantly delete photos, apps that I like, etc. to make room.

Do you think that I?ll be ok with the 1.5gb that I had left or do you all recommend sucking it up and paying the extra $100 for space?

I look forward to you experts :cool: for an honest opinion!! Thanks in advance!! :love-struck:

Nope with the bigger screen you need bigger storage. Pls get the 64gb to avoid future unhappiness :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Bigger storage nowadays is what's needed because apps are getting larger. Apple made the crazy decision to scrap the 32gb but keep the 16; knowing that's not close to enough space for even a teenager nowadays. Get the 64gb to solve any future issues you might run into, unless you plan on buying another iPhone later this year or next year. Save yourself the headache!

Do I occupy all 64gb? Not at all but I'm comfortable having it knowing that I won't run into a storage shortage and I believe we all just about did the same.

As far as storage for pictures, I use OneDrive which is Microsoft's cloud service. I've been using it for a few months and like it over Dropbox and Google Drive (I now use these for things other than photos).

This is ultimately your decision but this is my 2 cents! Hope you love the phone once you get it, I'm sure you will.

i6user77

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
It's been more than enough for me. All it requires is that you manage your photos, videos, and music. I simply upload my photos and videos to a cloud service, and delete them from the onboard memory. As for music, I keep a few albums on it at the time and the rest of the time use either the cloud or services like Amazon Prime and Spotify.

Doing that, I still have 7 GB left with tons of apps and lite games loaded onto it. If you don't want to actively manage your storage or wish to keep lots of large games on your phone, go for the 64 GB. If you are able to spend a bit of time each weeks tidying up your phone's space, save $100 like I did. I have no regrets.

i6user77

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Oh and also, the best cloud photo storage is probably Amazon's, especially if you have prime. But OneDrive works perfectly fine as well (I've used both). You can also play music off the cloud with apps like CloudBeats if you want to free up even more space.

If you managed to keep 1.5-3 GB free on your iPhone 5 the past few years you will be absolutely fine. I kept around 2 to 7 GB free on my iPhone 4S 16 GB and my usage hasn't really changed at all on the 6. Sounds like you should just save yourself the $100, maybe buy a nice case or something :D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't see how people live with 16GB these days with the amount of storage the OS takes up front...but honestly, it's not totally impossible. I just personally would rather have the extra storage space and have no need for it instead of finding myself needing MORE space and having no option but to delete stuff I have on my device.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I use dropbox to offload photos. I also plug in and use iPhoto for the days I take lots of pictures. Like I've said before, for me and lots of other people it is enough. But you'll find there are times you'd have to delete an app if its useless to you. Invest in iTunes Music (which I would have used anyway) and invest in a good cloud service like dropbox. I tend to get 16gb devices and I've never once felt limited. But to be completely honest I would have gotten a 64gb if they had it in the store that day and thats just because it was a good deal compared to getting a 32gb last year for the same price.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
After restoring my iPhone 5 as new, I have 6.9 gb of storage available out of the 12.xx I started with. I don't keep much music on my phone. I use Box, Dropbox and OneDrive to store photos and videos. 16 gb is doable for many people. But if you were down to 1.5 gb available, then maybe your not one of those people. I never got below 4 gb available in 17 months with my 16 gb iP 5.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't use 16gb but if your the type that doesn't need the space for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimkraz

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I got the 16GB, but there again I have a 16GB iPod I use for my music, a iPad I use for games, and a good camera I use to take photographs apart from the very odd one on my phone, I still have about 7GB on my phone and don't feel the need for more.

Haseeb Rehman

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 16GB white iPhone 6 and I installed all necessary apps (like facebook, whatsApp, Instagram, VSCOCAM etc) and I still have 5.2GB space left. 16GB is a lot for me as I don't listen to songs on my phone or store videos. But I do have 500+ pictures in my camera roll. I think 16GB is enough for you but obviously, its your choice.

2ndAmendNut

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Everyone's use case is different but I gave up on 16gb devices last year. I just gave my 64gb 5s to my wife when I got this 64gb 6 Plus.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for all of your input guys! So helpful! NOW...after doing some homework and watching some youtube reviews and there are woman out there who use it and love it! I was surprised to see that! The size was sort of freaking me out but after reviewing the videos, I'm thinking I'm going to trade the 6 for the 6+. I think it looks beautiful and it will be much better on my 40 year old eyes! :tongue: Along with that, the 6 is not THAT much bigger than my 5 and if I'm going to upgrade why not REALLY upgrade, right? I will have 14 days to return it once I receive it if I find that it's not for me soooooo.....with that said:

• How many of you have gotten a 6 and wished they had the 6+?
  • Will 16gb definitely not be enough on the 6+?
  • I'm thinking I'll most likely really need the 64gb?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox