ATT OR Verizon Wireless?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Having said that, I get bad vibes from things Verizon does to its customers. Refusing to roll over data like the entire industry is starting to do.
That's a TAD disingenuous. T-Mobile offers it. AT&T is offering it on a limited time basis on a single plan. That's not exactly a discussion of the "entire industry."

Their cfo coming out and saying that it isn't financially viable to chase after customers that are looking for a better deal elsewhere.
Do you not see the point? Carriers are constantly changing plans to compete with each other. It's not that they're not tweaking their plans in order to compete. It's saying they aren't going to push the limits of financial viability to do so. There's going to be a give and take related to every decision. They could decrease price, but that would come at the cost of other services such as coverage. They're simply stating they'd prefer keep their claim of the largest coverage rather than decrease monthly bills by reducing that coverage, as an example. At some point, he's right. If you try to maintain all services and decrease prices, there's a point where you start losing money. Losing money isn't financially viable. I don't have access to their books to determine where exactly that point is. But, it's silly to pretend the point doesn't exist. I'm sure it's less than where they are now. But, you should keep in mind the cost it takes for a cell provider to keep up with technology. It's costly to update your equipment to maintain new standards. If they drop their operating budget, this may leave them open to needing loans to keep their network updated. Ignoring that interest adds to the cost, this means they're now reliant upon outsiders. Many companies prefer keep a large enough profit margin to be able to pay for upkeep in cash rather than loans to prevent outsides voices from having any say within the company. It adds to the financial viability of a company.

The was also the instance where a family members phone broke 2 days before their contract was up for renewal and flatly refused to do the upgrade 2 days early. They actually shipped a refurb which we brought in, still in the shipping box two days later to get a new phone.

This is a bit of double-edged sword. I could see frustration with them not waiving the two days. At the same time, if we agree that two days aren't that important, why are we worried they wouldn't waive the two days? How is it unreasonable for one side to worry about the two days but the other side is unreasonable if they don't worry about the two days? I'm honestly not sure how this makes sense to you in a way that you believe it's evidence of arrogance from a single side.

It all smacks of the type of arrogance that eventually brought down blackberry.
There's a bit of arrogance on both sides. They certainly could make changes that benefit their customers. At the same time, you have some unrealistic expectations and believe they should be met regardless of the impact to others. That's no less arrogant. The customer isn't always right, especially when the customer doesn't understand basic business models.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Switched to at&t once they went LTE in my area and so glad I did. They've stepped it up and the signal is better than VZW. It's pretty rural where I live, and that's where VZW is usually better but I get less dead spots while driving around than AT&T. And when I lose LTE it's usually only down to 4G (ie UMTS) with AT&T whereas with VZW, it's often down to 1X.

Better customer service with AT&T too as someone mentioned.

On top of all that, about $30 cheaper per month with AT&T. And now they have the rollover data. Very happy with AT&T.

Universal Mobile Telecommunications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ignoring that LTE isn't actually 4G, UMTS is a 3G technology even to marketing.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I've used both, and quite frankly, I prefer Verizon over AT&T. I normally have a strong signal, and I've yet to see a 3G signal for a while with them. On top of that, you can get service in the NYC subways

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had, and worked for, both companies. I prefer Verizon and have been with them for about 10 years now. I find I get better signal nationwide (I like to travel) especially in rural areas where I didn't with AT&T. Also, VZW has better building penetration because of their technology. Verizon is the most expensive carrier though. However, they've been good to me and I enjoy their coverage so I stay.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had Verizon service for over 10 years. Always great customer service. It doesn't get any better. If they don't know, they put me through to a Verizon Apple tech. If they don't know, they put me through to Apple Support free. I've never had any issues with Verizon at all. I have no idea about AT&T. I'm totally satisfied with Verizon.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (No longer trustworthy).

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had Verizon service for over 10 years. Always great customer service. It doesn't get any better. If they don't know, they put me through to a Verizon Apple tech. If they don't know, they put me through to Apple Support free. I've never had any issues with Verizon at all. I have no idea about AT&T. I'm totally satisfied with Verizon.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (No longer trustworthy).

Yeah, I don't know why people are always saying their support sucks, whenever I have an issue it rarely takes more than 30 mins to fix. The longest it ever took was an hour, but that was for a really complicated issue with a blackberry bold not syncing up to the network properly. They sent me to blackberry, and it took them a week to finally issue the network updates to the darn phone.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon for me. I travel all over for work, rural & city, and I'm never without a signal. My bill isn't very expensive either...$300 for 4 lines.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
The greatest at what? Dropping calls and having slow data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprint is the best!

Sent from my  6+

Sprint is pretty bad. The area that I live in I'd close to Richmond, VA which is basically the only place I could get 4G/LTE which was very spotty it would connect then disconnect within a 10ft range almost.. I was with sprint for almost 5 years and became tired of paying for LTE service that I couldn't use and bad reception most places I traveled to.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Space~G using Tapatalk

wbeard385

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Been with AT&T since the Cingular days. Coverage good on E.Coast, talk and surf is good and rollover data, yeah that's a biggie :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been with ATT since 09 after spending 2 years on big red, and prior to that I was on ATT/Cingular from 07-09 after leaving nextel and Idk about coverage where you live but they keep one upping each other here in Cleveland, and ATT keeps beating them according to rootmetrics.com ... if coverage isn't an issue, MOST def ATT .. cust service is WAY better, they are a little bit cheaper and with rollover data now, perk after perk... verizon is all about show me the money... wasted 2 years with them blood suckers

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't read the entire thread but one major thing to consider if it hasn't already been said. You can talk and surf on an iPhone w Verizon whereas you can w AT&T. It has nothing to do w network superiority but w the antennae that is built into the iPhones. since there is only one iPhone version of each model, Apple has basically taken a stance not to support CDMA the same way they do w GSM. There are way more users worldwide on GSM.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I didn't read the entire thread but one major thing to consider if it hasn't already been said. You can talk and surf on an iPhone w Verizon whereas you can w AT&T. It has nothing to do w network superiority but w the antennae that is built into the iPhones. since there is only one iPhone version of each model, Apple has basically taken a stance not to support CDMA the same way they do w GSM. There are way more users worldwide on GSM.

Meant to say you can't talk and surf on VZW. VZW will come out w VOLTE but both parties must be on it to work.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can talk and surf on VZW.
When on Wifi for data, yes... Or when using VoLTE... iPhones still have just one set of antennae and when on a call, unless on VoLTE - that antenna is connected to to the iPhone's legacy 3G/CDMA radio for connectability to Verizon's voice network. - and it's not physically possible to do cellular data and a call at the same time.

Last edited:

SceneThat

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually I don't think that both parties have to be on VoLTE for the voice and data thing to work. But they do have to be for HD voice.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
When on Wifi for data, yes... Or when using VoLTE... iPhones still have just one set of antennae and when on a call, unless on VoLTE - that antenna is connected to to the iPhone's legacy 3G/CDMA radio for connectability to Verizon's voice network. - and it's not physically possible to do cellular data and a call at the same time.

That's one limitation with Verizon that I do not like! Now when I had an Android Thunderbolt, on VZW, it was capable of phone and data at the same time. Why is that?! I was so excited that Verizon had gone that way only to discover you can't on iPhone. But def could on my Thunderbolt!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Thunderbolt and other droids have 2 antennas.

Ahhh, the HTC Thunderbolt. Verizon's first LTE smartphone. I remember the Android Central videos of the battery percentage dropping literally within seconds of just sitting on a table. I guess we had to start somewhere with LTE smartphones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro