ATT OR Verizon Wireless?

brookeyydooo

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
i currently have ATT thinking about switching to Verizon?i feel like ATT is always saying i go close to going over my data when I am always on WIFI.. Which carrier do you have or do you have both? Who do you prefer

turbodave38

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
After 20 years in the business, I don't know everything I should about ATT other than I don't like their brand of technology, and their limited coverages on the voice side. And I especially don't like how they will "throttle" their customers data back on a whim just because they think you might be getting to using too much. All that has a lot to do with their non CDMA technology limits.
With Verizon that wont happen. You get/buy x amount of data and you don't have any issues if you go over, other than having to pay the overages. No throttling. And of course you don't use ANY data from your plan while on wifi.
A lot of people complain about their customer service, that I don't know about because I've never had the occasion to use it in all the years I've been with them. Maybe it's not so good, maybe it is. I personally prefer their network coverage over customer service.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I can speak a little about Verizon. I had them for about two weeks after switching from sprint and I have to agree their customer service is not the best. Coverage wise I would pinpoint the area you are in and search the places you go to the most. I had a pretty poor signal with them and used up a lot of data pretty fast within just a few days, but if you look on their forums there are complaints of high data usage.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Space~G using Tapatalk

Jeff0138

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I recently moved from Verizon to T-Mobile, and really know nothing about AT+T per say. Verizon has a great network, signal strength is generally strong and even if you get out into the middle of no where, you can assume that you will have something.

Having said that, I get bad vibes from things Verizon does to its customers. Refusing to roll over data like the entire industry is starting to do. Their cfo coming out and saying that it isn't financially viable to chase after customers that are looking for a better deal elsewhere. The was also the instance where a family members phone broke 2 days before their contract was up for renewal and flatly refused to do the upgrade 2 days early. They actually shipped a refurb which we brought in, still in the shipping box two days later to get a new phone. It all smacks of the type of arrogance that eventually brought down blackberry.

I'm not saying you should switch to T-Mobile as you didn't state where you live and T-Mobiles signal is not great outside of metropolitan areas. These are just things to keep in mind as you make your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
AT&T has the best coverage in my area. I did the test drive for T-Mobile and the signal is horrible in my house. Even on WiFi calls, the person I was talking to kept telling me I was cutting in and out. So for me, AT&T works well.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on your area. For me it's VZW. To you it maybe someone different.

I have had VZW for years and have never had any issues with CS. With my company discounts it pays for me to stay with them. I get a ton of data to use I have a brand new 4G tower in the town I live in and my service is awesome.

But again it all depends on converge. Some of the other carriers are cheaper but if you travel out of your area you're going to want one of the big two.

Rishi Desai

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have t-mobile. No problems so far other than inside building signal gets lost. Hopefully they fix it with the new spectrum....

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
My company pays for my phone and it's via Verizon. I am happy. Even more so since my phone is factory unlocked. However I feel that American telegraph and telephone has service in more remote areas than what big red offers.

I am on unlimited data and don't travel much, so I recommend Verizon, even more so since they have voice over LTE.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
However I feel that American telegraph and telephone has service in more remote areas than what big red offers.
Not where I live in rural North Iowa... AT&T barely exists... Verizon bought out Alltel, which bought a regional carrier that served our boonies quite well...

Kayaks

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I've had both Verizon and AT&T for extented periods of time. I switched to AT&T when the iphone came out, and switched back to Verizon a couple of years ago. Verizon works best in my area, and I've noticed it works best in more rural areas too {I travel to some random places for kayaking}. But it depends on your location!

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Verizon for me.
Way back, before Apple came to Verizon, I actually ditched Verizon, went to ATT just to get an iPhone 3GS.
That lasted... ONE month.
In the end, I hated ATT more than I liked the phone (And I really loved the phone) so I sold it and went back to Verizon and made do with other phones.
Verizon is far from perfect, but in this house, we need the coverage, we have several devices on a family data plan, and Verizon just works better for us.
Not cheap, but it works really well.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been on Verizon since the beginning. That's because it is the best in my area and I don't worry about getting a connection when I do travel. It really depends on where you live and how much and where you travel.

Lightingguy55

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Been a VZW user for 20 years or so, never felt the need to change as they offered the most reliable and comprehensive service. I have as well, always found the customer service to be very good.

Yes, they are pricy for the service, but they have offered me discounts when I take the time to call, so have seen my bill come down. That's mostly as they have to compete else lose customers, but I've been OK with the price for the service.

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I switch carriers often but always end up back on Verizon. I've never been without service with them and I can't say that about At&t.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
For me they are a bit spendy for roughly the same service I could get from T-Mobile (granted based on family/friend testimonials but really my dad gets bad reception in the exact same places I do and he's on T-Mobile so eh)

I stick with them because I'm on a grandfathered plan from a few years ago when they were doing a data promotion. I've strongly considered jumping ship to T-Mobile as both are pretty strong in the Phoenix area but I haven't really done it yet because Verizon has been good to me. It would be nice to slash my bill though.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I can weight in here. I used AT&T for 10 years. 3 months ago, I switched to Verizon.
Verizon customer service is really bad compared to what I experienced on AT&T over the years.
The big red map is a lie. I had better coverage with AT&T. I don't travel much, and mostly it's in the South east US, but Verizon LTE coverage sucks. They can paint a map all day long, but that doesn't make it accurate.

The local stores customer service is absolutely horrible. In the last 3 months they have made me so angry I almost rage quit them and went back to AT&T no matter what the balance was after selling the verizon phones.

Sim card. yes, they have them in verizon phones, but you still have to call verizon on a land line or 3rd line not involved in the move because you have to turn the phones off and reboot to get them to work.
With AT&T, drop a sim in and go.
OH, and verizon has this 1999 legacy 250 character limit in sms texts. so if you text something 700 characters to someone on AT&T, half the time it comes in all jumbled up. you might get the last part first, the middle part last, and the first part in the middle.
Your friends have a fun time trying to figure out what the heck you are talking about when that happens.

I like being able to switch phones easily. With verizon, you can throw that out the window.
Their web site allows you to switch devices online but it doesn't work 99% of the time and you have to end up calling them anyways.

I wish I had never left AT&T and I will go back to them sometime this year. Also, when you hit that LTE lie part of the map, you drop all the way down to 3G or 1X and half their phones can't talk and surf web at the same time.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I can weight in here. I used AT&T for 10 years. 3 months ago, I switched to Verizon.
Verizon customer service is really bad compared to what I experienced on AT&T over the years.
The big red map is a lie. I had better coverage with AT&T. I don't travel much, and mostly it's in the South east US, but Verizon LTE coverage sucks. They can paint a map all day long, but that doesn't make it accurate.

The local stores customer service is absolutely horrible. In the last 3 months they have made me so angry I almost rage quit them and went back to AT&T no matter what the balance was after selling the verizon phones.

Sim card. yes, they have them in verizon phones, but you still have to call verizon on a land line or 3rd line not involved in the move because you have to turn the phones off and reboot to get them to work.
With AT&T, drop a sim in and go.
OH, and verizon has this 1999 legacy 250 character limit in sms texts. so if you text something 700 characters to someone on AT&T, half the time it comes in all jumbled up. you might get the last part first, the middle part last, and the first part in the middle.
Your friends have a fun time trying to figure out what the heck you are talking about when that happens.

I like being able to switch phones easily. With verizon, you can throw that out the window.
Their web site allows you to switch devices online but it doesn't work 99% of the time and you have to end up calling them anyways.

I wish I had never left AT&T and I will go back to them sometime this year. Also, when you hit that LTE lie part of the map, you drop all the way down to 3G or 1X and half their phones can't talk and surf web at the same time.

I don't know what phone issues you have but my entire company uses VZW and when we get a new phone I personally switch out the sim and the phone is good to go. And their CS is awesome. Especially for business customers.

And they're not the largest carrier in the US for their lack of coverage.

Last edited:

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Switched to at&t once they went LTE in my area and so glad I did. They've stepped it up and the signal is better than VZW. It's pretty rural where I live, and that's where VZW is usually better but I get less dead spots while driving around than AT&T. And when I lose LTE it's usually only down to 4G (ie UMTS) with AT&T whereas with VZW, it's often down to 1X.

Better customer service with AT&T too as someone mentioned.

On top of all that, about $30 cheaper per month with AT&T. And now they have the rollover data. Very happy with AT&T.

apcman

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I say they are about the same. Go with everyone is the best price to fit your needs and which has the best coverage/signal in your area. The CS is about the same, Both horrible. The stores are usually a little better than the national offices but each store is different. I have both ATT and VZ and I had horror stories for both. VZ used to be a lot better but I think it that changed in the last few years. If you can't decide just flip a coin because either way you'll be pissed at both at some point.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
All depends on coverage area. Both are good though. I have Verizon and have been very happy. Very few places that I don't have great service

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro