Trading iPhone 6 for iPhone 5s. As simple as swapping sim cards?

Jeff Mendoza1

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I will be trading my AT&T-locked iPhone 6 for an AT&T-locked iPhone 5s. We are both on contract.

What do we need to do to ensure a smooth swap without losing our data? Is it as simple as doing a backup, swapping sim cards, then re-storing from the backup? Will the phones work after this is done?

I'm unsure after we do the above if we then need to go into an AT&T store to activate the sim cards to our new, respective phones.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, should be as simple as backing up, swapping sims, and restoring back-ups... You might want to throw in a erase all content and settings step after the initial backup... And make sure you do the process to turn off activation lock on both devices before doing anything at all...

Last edited:

Jeff Mendoza1

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help! I do plan on erasing all content before swapping phones as I don't need the other party to see all my information.

The only reason I went from a 5 to a 6 was because I ran out of memory on the 5. I had reservations about the size of the 6 and its design but i had no choice but to get a new phone with more memory. Looking back I should have upgraded to a 5s then.

After a few months with the 6, just not liking the size or design.

I'm trading my phone with a neighbor who is putting cash on top of his 5s, so basically I'm selling the 6 and buying a 5s

Last edited:

wbeard385

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Swapped Sim from my iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 without contacting AT&T. Had I went to AT&T I'm sure there'd been a charge just to charge for nothing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff Mendoza1

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for everyone's help. Just to close the loop...

I traded my 6 and got back into a 5s. Just swapped sim cards, restored the phone from a backup, and all is good. Both my iCloud account and AT&T account already show the 5s as my phone

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again for everyone's help. Just to close the loop...

I traded my 6 and got back into a 5s. Just swapped sim cards, restored the phone from a backup, and all is good. Both my iCloud account and AT&T account already show the 5s as my phone

Good :) Glad to hear it worked out for you :)

dharper57

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I do not know yet but my husband is going to be doing that with my iphone 5s since I upgraded to a 6 but I will tell you we did this with a 4s from his 3s and it was not compatable but we called AT&T and they shipped a new sim within two days and we were fine no extra charge or anything but I am hoping it's a simple as swapping sim cards.. Just FYI

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I do not know yet but my husband is going to be doing that with my iphone 5s since I upgraded to a 6 but I will tell you we did this with a 4s from his 3s and it was not compatable but we called AT&T and they shipped a new sim within two days and we were fine no extra charge or anything but I am hoping it's a simple as swapping sim cards.. Just FYI

I believe the reason why AT&T needed to send you a new sim for the 4S was because the 3GS used a full size sim and the 4S uses a micro sim which is smaller. Swapping sims between a 6 and 5S will be no problem size-wise since both use the same newer nano-sim cards.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711