Some serious headaches transitioning to iPhone

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
iTunes 12 problems in Windows 8.1-

Moved my entire music collection into the "automatically add to iTunes" directory and fired up iTunes. The problem is it only added a fraction of my mp3s, it moved a bunch of songs out of their original folder, which left empty folders all over and finally, it added track numbers to everything it touched....Grrrrr.

iPhone 6-

Keyboard-

I came from a Lumia 920 and was very used to its Word Flow keyboard. It's similar to Swype. I can't stand the default iPhone keyboard and downloaded Swype. Apparently, 3rd party keyboards do not work correctly yet as it was locking down and not working correctly throughout iOS. Has Apple acknowledged this problem?

Cursor repositioning-

What happened to the little bar that you could put your finger on to reposition the cursor? I see that I can tap the screen and the cursor will move, but damn if ain't a hot or miss a lot!

Can anyone help?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
First one is this an iPhone issue or iTunes issue?

Number two after market keyboards only work in certain parts of the phone as per apple for security reasons.

Not sure about the cursor. I can touch in different places and copy and past but not exactly sure what you mean.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
First one is this an iPhone issue or iTunes issue?

Number two after market keyboards only work in certain parts of the phone as per apple for security reasons.

Not sure about the cursor. I can touch in different places and copy and past but not exactly sure what you mean.

iPhone and iTunes go hand in had, so if I have a problem with iTunes, its going to affect my iPhone when it comes sync time. Out of 19gig of mp3s, it only imported 7.7gig for some odd reason and it moved a bunch of that music out of their original folders and left a ton of empty folders behind.

As for the cursor: Say you're typing a txt and you see an error in a previous sentence. Tapping the fat tip of your finger in the approx spot is a bit inaccurate. There used to be a vertical bar you could place the tip of your finger on and use it to drag the cursor where you need it to go. This appears to be gone.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
To position the cursor, tap and hold your finger down in a text box for a second or two. A magnifying glass will appear on the screen and you can do precision movements of the cursor.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Like this. Long press on the text bar for the mag bubble. Move it to where you want to place it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421094840.259609.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. Now what to do about the iTunes issue?

Possibly try again? Also, another option would be to use Google Play Music Manager. Stores all your music on Google's servers, able to be uploaded from your computer and/or iTunes library, and you can download them for offline listening. You will have to download the Google Play Music app for iOS and use it as your music player, but it is an option for putting music on your iPhone.

mayawalz

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
you could use a different method for itunes. select the "add file to library" option, and then select all the music you want to transfer from there

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't really want it messing with the music folders because I keep my digitally purchased music separated from the music I have CDs for. Also not sure what changing the directory iTunes looks in will do because I copied everything to the "auto add to iTunes" DIr the first time. It should've picked up everything when it opened.

I'm going to put everything into the iTunes music dir and use the file->add folder to library option and see what happens. I'm still pissed that iTunes is going to add track #'s to all my mp3's, though. I don't understand why the option to prevent that was removed. From what I've read, iTunes 12 is widely regarded as a disaster. Hopefully Apple fixes this crap in future updates.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read, iTunes 12 is widely regarded as a disaster. Hopefully Apple fixes this crap in future updates.

I love comments like this..."widely regarded", which actually equates to a tiny little niche of people who didn't care for iTunes 12, where as most users don't mind it or actually like it.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I love comments like this..."widely regarded", which actually equates to a tiny little niche of people who didn't care for iTunes 12, where as most users don't mind it or actually like it.

Fact: I can't stop it from adding track #'s to mp3's. This feature was available in previous versions of iTunes.
Fact: It's not importing my music correctly. All my mp3's work in every other music player I've tried.
Fact: It's unusable too me in it's current state.

Forget the "widely regarded" comment. It's not working for me, period. I wish I could just browse the iPhone storage like my previous phone, but that's not an option. My posts aren't meant to be trolls. I just want the thing to work as intended.

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I had no problem moving from my Windows Icon to iPhone 6. All my music transformed easily. The music was pulled in from my laptop and not from the cloud.

A.B.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It always seems to be the Windows based PC users who complain the most about iTunes...no offense, but I think by now, I'd almost expect there to be some wonky behavior using iTunes in combination with Windows.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
It always seems to be the Windows based PC users who complain the most about iTunes...no offense, but I think by now, I'd almost expect there to be some wonky behavior using iTunes in combination with Windows.

I've heard iTunes is much better on a Mac. In any event, got a gremlin in my PC to hunt down, I guess.

*Update*

Finally got all my music to import. Deleted .xml file in iTunes Dir, copied over my music and manually added the folder. All good now. Something of note: iTunes will not add track #'s to filenames if you manually add a folder to library...Whew!

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've heard iTunes is much better on a Mac. In any event, got a gremlin in my PC to hunt down, I guess.

*Update*

Finally got all my music to import. Deleted .xml file in iTunes Dir, copied over my music and manually added the folder. All good now. Something of note: iTunes will not add track #'s to filenames if you manually add a folder to library...Whew!

Good to hear you got it squared away...iTunes does run almost flawlessly on my Mac, but I guess that should be kind of an obvious fact since both are Apples products. I've read all kinds of reasons why people think iTunes doesn't play well with Windows, but nothing ever stands out as a real identifiable "problem"...I just always assume somewhere along the development line, someone at Apple or someone at Windows changes some tiny little thing and gives a Dr. Evil laugh while approving it for distribution to the end user...causing these things to pop up randomly.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Glad you got it working, but just out of curiosity, why don't you want track #'s?

Track #'s screw with ordering, searches, etc. on some car audio systems...the kind where you just plug a flash drive into the system Vs. iPod. Just my experience with the few I've messed with.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods