Any issues with the Otterbox Defender?

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the Defender for my 5S which was awesome for hiking and weekend warrior projects and loved it. I was reading some reviews for the iP6 Defender and I've heard some bad things. I've heard on the Camo version the Camo starts to peel, the screen protector makes noise and makes the touch screen less responsive - never an issue on the iP5S, and I also read about some touch ID issues.

I figure I would make my final decision based on what you guys have to say.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
There is a warranty that comes with each Otterbox product and there's a 30 return policy if you buy directly from their website. There's no harm in trying if you really like the defender.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's been tough for case makers with the built in screen protectors. The new iPhone's screen rounds off on the edges. So it's been a challenge for Otter and others to get the "built in" to fit snug. Apparently, some have issues and some don't.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the Defender for my 5S which was awesome for hiking and weekend warrior projects and loved it. I was reading some reviews for the iP6 Defender and I've heard some bad things. I've heard on the Camo version the Camo starts to peel, the screen protector makes noise and makes the touch screen less responsive - never an issue on the iP5S, and I also read about some touch ID issues.

I figure I would make my final decision based on what you guys have to say.

It seems like there is a small amount of defective units which is not uncommon. If you liked the 5S version and had good results, I suggest trying the iPhone 6 version. You can always return/exchange it under the warranty.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Some who have the screen issues have removed the built-in screen and put a Zagg or something on. I wouldn't do that myself though. When I upgrade next month, I'll get the Defender. Otter has been good to me in the past. Great customer service!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

andrewsmith

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Had it abut 2 days so far and I'm pretty impressed. Touch ID works like a charm. I returned the Otterbox Symmetry because it had too much bulk for the protection provided. This case offers a good ratio. No problems with the built-in screen protector as I was expecting.

Here's a side by side of the new one on my 6 vs the one I had on my 5s.

iMoreAppImg_20141230_213429.jpgiMoreAppImg_20141230_213440.jpg

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
i sold mine, had replaced 3 times under warrenty after second time company got sick of me, it kept coming lose like you feel it pushing. The screee protector gap to me was another huge annoyance. Also the rubber plugs over charger etc kept ripping on me from normal usage. Got rid of it bought myself the destek. less half price same protection not as bulky.

tmx31415

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I experienced issues with the overall fit of the case. It almost seemed like it was loose and you could hear the phone moving back and forth. With the 2 that I've had for the 6 the screen protector had two different end results. The first was a little bubbled which made using unbearable. The second protector seemed a little tighter but not by much. Overall its a good case just not for me.

Mark Hall3

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've used Otter box Defender for 4 years on 3 different iPhones! Totally impressed with the slimmer sleeker fit on my 6!! I've always loved the rock solid protection and the Holster, which allows me to carry my phone with safety and protection outside my pocket! It's one of the very few that come with a holster, which is the deal maker to me, especially as the newer phones are becoming larger! 5 stars for this case, in my opinion!!

Subliminal87

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I read on Macrumors, Reddit and a video on youtube that the defender has scratched the area around the home button.

I ordered mine, but I think I am going to put a display protector on it so it protects it from the case. I had a display protector on my iphone 5 and used the defender without issue.

Zacharyw70

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My mom has one since they're great protective cases and she also had one with her iPhone 4S. I'd say the iPhone 6 version isn't as well made as the previous versions. The biggest complaint she's had is the screen protector doesn't sit tight on the device so when you're typing or tapping on the screen it may sometimes not register correctly, additionally the volume buttons and kind of hard to push down.

Colton Maracle

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
The 6 slides around inside the case. It isn't much but you notice it on the Touch ID cover. I've had otter boxes for everything I own and this is the first time I've noticed a problem. Might be because I bought it the day I got my iPhone so it was one of the first shipments.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think most cases with the built-in screen protector are having issues with the new iPhones. The screen curves a bit on the edges. And Apple is making the phones paper thin! That's really made it difficult for the case makers. When I finally upgrade to the 6 or 6 Plus, I'll try the Otterbox Defender. If the screen is not flush, I'll have Otter send me another one. If that one is like the first, I may just push the built-in screen out, and put a different screen protector on. We'll see!

Sent from CrapaTalk on my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

evoque-mike

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I had a defender for a 4S. suited me but did get a replacement for one of the port covers started to rip and tear the outer skin
Now have a 6 with defender.
Charger and phones socket covers are quite tight and hard. open both everyday so have cut off with a scalpel these two flaps
works ok case was never watertight anyway
case is less of a brick compared to the 4S

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox