Does anyone Wish the iPhone had a Back Button?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
For me, the left to right swipe is sufficient for going back and a quick press of the home button to get back to the home screen.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
For me, the left to right swipe is sufficient for going back and a quick pressing of the home button to get back to the home screen.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Exactly. I think these gestures replace the back button nicely. I don't see the need for one on the iPhone .

Courtney Ramsey

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
YES! I totally miss the back button. Today is my first full day with an iPhone (6 plus).. The arrow in the upper left is very awkward and I get annoyed that the home button takes me back to the home screen and not just one step back in an application. PLUS, I don't like having to slide each application to close it. On the Droids, there's an option to Close All. The phone is beautiful, but is too big and feels like a glorified iPad.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
If you swipe from left to right it serves the same function of a back button. In apps that don't support that there's always reachability to get to the apps back button.

bubba3595

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the swipe to go back is a great feature and is available on almost all the apps I use. So no, I don't think it is necessary

orella

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
first days when i got the phone (iPhone6 is my first) i wanted a back button because i had a Android before, but after some days i was good with double tap and close task. For me now without back button it's better

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
YES! I totally miss the back button. Today is my first full day with an iPhone (6 plus).. The arrow in the upper left is very awkward and I get annoyed that the home button takes me back to the home screen and not just one step back in an application. PLUS, I don't like having to slide each application to close it. On the Droids, there's an option to Close All. The phone is beautiful, but is too big and feels like a glorified iPad.
When my Wife used an Android, the back button confused me. LOL. I guess it's what we're used to. You'll get used to the iPhone. Had I used that Android a lot, I'd have gotten used to the back button. There's always a way back on iPhone. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't personally miss having a back button, but I do wish that app developers would be more consistent about how going back works. There are several variations to it out there.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Got an android phone as my workphone, and I have been swiping all day to get to the previous screen:D but no, I think I don't miss it and swiping to go back is the future.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Once I switched to iOS as my daily driver, I honestly don't want a back button. The swipe feature works fine. I became so custom to it that I sometimes find myself swiping the he screen on my Note 4 lol.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6+ 

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Nope the swipe gestures are way better and with the back you never know where it would take you on Android.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I miss the Back button functionality on Android, but I don't think it would be an elegant fit into the iOS way of doing things.

I too love being able to swipe to go back a screen in most iOS apps, but the thing with Android is the Back button would also go back whole apps at a time. If you tap on a link in Twitter (or whatever) for example, it might open the link in Chrome, then tapping Back takes you back to Twitter again (if I remember correctly). It worked on a stack of open apps, backtracking through all your steps, rather than just going back screens in the current app.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Nah. For me, the back scrolling drives me crazy. If I'm trying to scroll down or up with my left hand, it always ends up on the previous page. That just really gets my goat, especially when I'm reading something....

I think it's frustrating.

THIS. A million times.
It would frustrate the living daylights out of me on BB10 especially on Tapatalk.
I like the design of the iPhone as it is.
Functional minimalism. Classic.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I like the design of the iPhone as it is.
Functional minimalism. Classic.

Curious: now that iOS 9 added a back button (different location though similar functionality to Android), have opinions changed of those who didn't want one?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Curious: now that iOS 9 added a back button (different location though similar functionality to Android), have opinions changed of those who didn't want one?

No, it doesn't change my opinion at all.

It's not a true "back" button. It's an option to return to the search screen after visiting a link. It's only implemented in that context, and is not available in other situations or contexts.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I just really wish OSes would start putting the buttons at the bottom instead of the top. With screens getting bigger and bigger it makes no sense to me to put buttons at the top of the display.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I love the swiping gesture. However, there are instances where it doesn't work and you need to resort to your beloved home button. That can be a tad annoying at times. For fear of messing up my home button I've always been a user of assistive touch.

But yes, I do wish there was a touch button. And I'm glad iOS 9 is finally going to bring this feature.

Nick Vis

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
No, it doesn't change my opinion at all.

It's not a true "back" button. It's an option to return to the search screen after visiting a link. It's only implemented in that context, and is not available in other situations or contexts.

That's not quite right, it does apply to other contexts. I have just used it to go back to messages from tweetbot.
It's a good idea for iOS to have but I can't think of a time where Apple have "tacked" a solution on that looks more of an afterthought than this one....
Maybe a force touch implementation would work? Light swipe to go back a page, more force to go back an app? That'd be cool

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Haven't used iOS9.
However my response remains the same to the question of whether I wish for the iPhone to have a back button.
No.
Edit: for the sake of a full response I also don't want a hub or a blinkity blink blinking LED.

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6

Last edited: