Visit site
Here's mine:
b9de9b9c7e156fbac5f6387ec4797375.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh, dear! You've opened a can of worms! Now everybody with the defective TLC Chip be like...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418848600.329973.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, to me as long as I don't have the TLC, I'm just fine. I don't need the best one, I just don't want the defective one. 😧

Sent from my larger than life device using Tapatalk.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if TLC is defective. It seems it's just not as efficient. I have no idea what's in my 6 Plus. No issues for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if TLC is defective. It seems it's just not as efficient. I have no idea what's in my 6 Plus. No issues for me so far.

Really wish I had been able to test the other two devices I'd had.

I think that MLC is very stable though.

Sent from my larger than life device using Tapatalk.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The other thing to look at. Those that plan to get the 6 or 6+. How are you supposed to know what you have unless you buy it?
I doubt the store will let you install the app to test it.
And why is Apple building devices with different chips in each one?
I plan on getting the 6+ in May, so I guess it will be a gamble.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. If a user buys a 6 Plus or a 6 just and they find it unusable just return it.
I'm not certain it's as cut and dry as to which type of nand is going to cause problems.
I found the following:

"SLC NAND flash is typically rated at about 100 k cycles (Samsung OneNAND KFW4G16Q2M)
MLC NAND flash is typically rated at about 5?10 k cycles for medium-capacity applications (Samsung K9G8G08U0M) and 1?3 k cycles for high-capacity applications[citation needed]
TLC NAND flash is typically rated at about 1 k cycles (Samsung 840)
SLC floating-gate NOR flash has typical endurance rating of 100 k to 1 M cycles (Numonyx M58BW 100 k; Spansion S29CD016J 1,000 k)
MLC floating-gate NOR flash has typical endurance rating of 100 k cycles (Numonyx J3 flash)
However, by applying certain algorithms and design paradigms such as wear leveling and memory over-provisioning, the endurance of a storage system can be tuned to serve specific requirements.[45]"

So I feel as these algorithms etc being applied to a certain chip could make it fine for what it's being used for.
I'm sure there are iPhones 6's out there with TLC nand that are just fine.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The other thing to look at. Those that plan to get the 6 or 6+. How are you supposed to know what you have unless you buy it?

Buy it, open in store, install app. Find minor blemish or issue (Which you'll likely have), exchange device.

However, if it has no issues at all, then just give it a chance. It says there are higher probabilities of TLC being defective. That doesn't mean they all are though.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

because apple can't get everything from one supplier. Same reason they had issues with screens on MacBooks a few years back. Samsung ones were good, but the ones used from LG were the ones causing issues. Seems pretty crappy if people get stuck with the "defective" ones. Hopefully apple would allow an exchange if people are having issues, and get rid of the "bad" units.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen