No 4G service

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a problem getting 4g. I either get lte or 3G. I've never even seen 4g show up since I've had the phone. I know I'm in an area where there is 4g service. When I disable lte it always just switches to 3G instead of 4g. I'm on Verizon btw.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
You won't see "4G" on a Verizon iPhone (if that's what you are looking to see on the display).

You will see "LTE" or "3G" or "1x".

And obviously, if you disable LTE, the "best" you will see is "3G".

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You won't see "4G" on a Verizon iPhone (if that's what you are looking to see on the display).

You will see "LTE" or "3G" or "1x".

And obviously, if you disable LTE, the "best" you will see is "3G".

So the iPhone 6 isn't really a 4G phone then? Why did I buy this if all I can get is 3G or slow lte? And why does Verizon advertise that they are 4g when they really aren't. All my friends with android phones show 4g on Verizon. I must not be understanding something here.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
LTE is Verizon's 4G.

You friends are connecting to the same thing that you are. It just is displayed differently on the phone.

But it's the SAME thing.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
LTE is Verizon's 4G.

You friends are connecting to the same thing that you are. It just is displayed differently on the phone.

But it's the SAME thing.

I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding. So even though if I'm in a 4g area and I turn off lte, all I can use is 3G and not 4g? Basically in order to get 4g I have to have lte enabled? And why does 3G seem faster once I disable lte? Sorry again

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
On Verizon, LTE IS 4G. LTE and 4G are the same. 4G is LTE on Verizon.

If you turn LTE off, you will not get 4G on a Verizon iPhone. LTE is 4G. If you turn off LTE, you will get 3G. Or 1x.

3G is not 4G. 3G is not LTE.

No idea why "3G seem faster".

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding. So even though if I'm in a 4g area and I turn off lte, all I can use is 3G and not 4g? Basically in order to get 4g I have to have lte enabled? And why does 3G seem faster once I disable lte? Sorry again

If you turn off LTE, you're turning off 4G as they are the same thing... yes, to get 4G, you have to have LTE turned on... the performance differences are going to be varied due to cell towers... some may be very saturated with users on 4G, slowing performance... thus sometimes you could see better 3G performance than 4G/LTE.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine just says "Verizon" now on wifi. I don't recall when that began. It used to say LTE. With LTE off, it says Verizon 3G.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418322433.579417.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
If you turn off LTE, you're turning off 4G as they are the same thing... yes, to get 4G, you have to have LTE turned on... the performance differences are going to be varied due to cell towers... some may be very saturated with users on 4G, slowing performance... thus sometimes you could see better 3G performance than 4G/LTE.

Technically speaking 4g and lte are not the same thing. Just saying.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Technically speaking 4g and lte are not the same thing. Just saying.

Technically speaking, on Verizon they are. That's what Verizon calls it (whether it meets the "technical specification" of "4G" or not).

The OP is getting the best he can get on Verizon. He's not "missing" something that his friends on Android devices are getting.

It is merely a cosmetic difference that some of the phones display 4G and some display LTE. The service that they are connecting to is the SAME THING.

Just sayin' .....

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Technically speaking, on Verizon they are. That's what Verizon calls it (whether it meets the "technical specification" of "4G" or not).

The OP is getting the best he can get on Verizon. He's not "missing" something that his friends on Android devices are getting.

It is merely a cosmetic difference that some of the phones display 4G and some display LTE. The service that they are connecting to is the SAME THING.

Just sayin' .....

Agreed

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So the iPhone 6 isn't really a 4G phone then? Why did I buy this if all I can get is 3G or slow lte? And why does Verizon advertise that they are 4g when they really aren't. All my friends with android phones show 4g on Verizon. I must not be understanding something here.

You have been brain washed by ad men; "4G" is a marketing term.

Verizon's networks;
2G - 1x
3G - CDMA/EVDO
4G - LTE

Tmobile/AT&T Networks;
2.5G - EDGE
3G - HSPA
4G - HSPA+
LTE - LTE

The term "4G" is thrown around by Tmobile and AT&T because at the time Verizon was deploying LTE which is a true fourth generation network while Tmobile and AT&T had HSPA+ networks which were significantly faster than 3G but not technically a true fourth generation network like LTE. They simply just started calling what was really a more advanced 3G technology "4G" so their commercials would sound just as flashy as Verizon's commercials.

Your Verizon iPhone 6 is getting true fourth generation LTE service. When you see "4G" on a Tmobile/AT&T iPhone it's just a marketing gimmick.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You have been brain washed by ad men; "4G" is a marketing term.

Verizon's networks;
2G - 1x
3G - CDMA/EVDO
4G - LTE

Tmobile/AT&T Networks;
2.5G - EDGE
3G - HSPA
4G - HSPA+
LTE - LTE

The term "4G" is thrown around by Tmobile and AT&T because at the time Verizon was deploying LTE which is a true fourth generation network while Tmobile and AT&T had HSPA+ networks which were significantly faster than 3G but not technically a true fourth generation network like LTE. They simply just started calling what was really a more advanced 3G technology "4G" so their commercials would sound just as flashy as Verizon's commercials.

Your Verizon iPhone 6 is getting true fourth generation LTE service. When you see "4G" on a Tmobile/AT&T iPhone it's just a marketing gimmick.

None of these networks including Verizon's lte are true 4g.

LTE-A defined in 2012 is the only by specification 4g network. And I don't know any carrier in US who has deployed an LTE-A network.

Actually I just looked as if March 2014, AT&T is the only US carrier to deploy LTE-A, which was done in Chicago area , I don't know if they have coverage in other areas yet.

http://www.androidauthority.com/4g-vs-lte-274882/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_Advanced

Last edited:

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
None of these networks including Verizon's lte are true 4g.

LTE-A defined in 2012 is the only by specification 4g network. And I don't know any carrier in US who has deployed an LTE-A network.

Actually I just looked as if March 2014, AT&T is the only US carrier to deploy LTE-A, which was done in Chicago area , I don't know if they have coverage in other areas yet.

The facts don't keep them from selling it.

a52bdaab979a90a0c4bc465b39d0a756.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

I was with Verizon for a week last week and due to low LTE area I was getting speeds of 1-2 mbps down which is probably what your experiencing is a bad area, but if I drove 30 min up the road I was getting speeds up to 45mbps.

Sent from my Gold iPhone using Tapatalk