Verizon sim was in already & Wifi issues

Nabooy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Just got a brand new device and something funny that I have noticed is there was a Verizon sim card already in the phone! I suppose it was a returned phone most definitely. What do you think I should do? Get a replacement or what? So far everything is working fine but there is just one issue with the Wifi. It can connect to a Wifi network with full signal but then again, it is like broken. Cannot browse the net, no app store, nothing seems to work while it is on. But as long as disabling Wifi connection, it works pretty fine.

I moved over from Android and I was just happy to get this Apple phone until I am getting this silly Wifi problem! Yes, updated to 8.1.1 via iTunes still the same. I will try restoring the device from zero and try again.

Your help is greatly appreciate.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
The wifi issue seems to be related to the wifi service and not the phone, IMO. Also, you could get a brand new phone from any carrier and it would have their sim in it. It doesn't mean that sim is activated. Verizon iPhones are unlocked as it is, but you are not providing us with enough details. Where did you buy the phone? I have bought 3 full retail phones and they all had Verizon sims in them, they just were not activated.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the wifi but I've purchased many verizon phones and they all come with a SIM card already installed. So that seems normal. Try a restore and setup as new and see what happens with the wifi.

ChrisJ1

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Try to make a call with the Verizon SIM card and if the call goes through, then the phone is most probably linked to somebody's account.

maskedcarrot

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Well you didn't say where you got the phone? If you bought it new from Verizon or a reseller, then yes it will have a SIM in it. All Verizon 4G phones come pre-installed with a SIM right out of the box.

Nabooy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
First, I don't even live in the US. Bahrain that is, somewhere in the Middle East. I got it from a retailer shop where I usually buy my phones there. Last time, my Nexus 5 was a defective phone and the screen was cracked from the day I bought the device. Now, I'm holding my hands on the new iPhone where it had a SIM inside it already which could be a returned phone. I don't know but I have a bad feeling about this.

Think of it, if I live in Bahrain (next to Saudi Arabia) that we have nothing to do with Verizon whatever and the fact that their phone are branded-locked, how the hell it's still working for me? Could it be an unlocked device or something? I asked the guy how and where did he managed to get the stock this time and his reply was "I got it from Dubai, directly flied from Kong Kong". What the hell?!

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon phones are not branded or locked. It's very possible someone bought it full retail, which came with the Verizon sim and sold it without removing the Sim

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2