Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Default Touch ID failure!?!?!

Anyone else having a problem with Touch ID? I got my iPhone 6 a few days after it was released and everything was working fine and one day my finger print stopped unlocking the device. So I headed over to settings and found iPhone unlock, Apple pay, and iTunes & App Store was turned off. When I tried to re-enable I got an error. If I tap the iPhone on a table it will start working for a while but eventually stops. Anyone else having this issue. I'm waiting for an exchange because the place where I got the phone has been out of stock. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415777053.162944.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	71225
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,957 Global Posts

Default Re: Touch ID failure!?!?!

Try rebooting your device by holding the home and power button.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Done all of that. This has been happening for about 3 weeks now.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,957 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoesLoco View Post
    Done all of that. This has been happening for about 3 weeks now.
    Have you tried a restore? If so take it to the Apple Store and get a new one
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Multiple times. Even set it up as a new iPhone after restore and it fails when I click set up Touch ID.

Welcome to iMore, can't say I have. Had the 5s and the now the 6 without any issues with the touch ID. hope your replacement comes in soon.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

I had a simpler problem with my 5s in the be beginning worked great at first then got harder and harder for the scanner to read my print, but I was always able to get through set up. I took it to the Apple store and they replaced the phone might just be a faulty scanner.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by calebt View Post
    I had a simpler problem with my 5s in the be beginning worked great at first then got harder and harder for the scanner to read my print, but I was always able to get through set up. I took it to the Apple store and they replaced the phone might just be a faulty scanner.
    I had the same problem with my 5S. from what I read after the iOS update that fixed the problem on the 5Ss the problem was that the iOS was updating your Touch ID every time you used it. I think it iOS 7.0.1 or .2 that fixed the problem. I had also taken my 5S back to the Apple store and had it replaced.

So far on my iP6 I've had only 1 problem. I lost only 1 or the 2 prints I had stored. I don't know if it was just bad luck or something else it happened the day after I used Apple Pay. (Knock on Wood) since that 1 time Touch ID has worked every time.

"If I tap the iPhone on a table it will start working for a while but eventually stops." this sounds like a loose connection in the iPhone. I would personally take it back and get a new iPhone.

Good luck.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

This happened to my 5s and they replaced it. When it happened on my 6 apple offered to swap the whole screen assembly in store. That way i didnt end up with a refurb.

works perfect now.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,936 Global Posts

Easy replacement from Apple here.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts

Take it to an Apple Store. About 100% sure they'll replace it
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

No trouble at all with the touch id on my iP6. I. Love. It. Definitely exchange it. Good luck and welcome to iMore.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Took it to the Apple Store today. They swapped the screen assembly and now I'm good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by JoesLoco View Post
    Took it to the Apple Store today. They swapped the screen assembly and now I'm good to go!
    Good to hear, enjoy.
    iMore Nanite

i have iphone 6, it shows an error while adding a fingerprint, it shows unable to complete touch id setup. i have restored my iphone as well as replaced the lcd assembly. it doesnt worked. can you help me?

Quote Originally Posted by froxeneyes View Post
    i have iphone 6, it shows an error while adding a fingerprint, it shows unable to complete touch id setup. i have restored my iphone as well as replaced the lcd assembly. it doesnt worked. can you help me?
    Has it worked in the past? I'm wondering if it isn't a hardware issue involving your home button.
    Found this too:
    http://m.imore.com/touch-id-not-work...s-83-heres-fix
    It's a little dated but might contain something useful.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptainjoe View Post
    Anyone else having a problem with Touch ID? I got my iPhone 6 a few days after it was released and everything was working fine and one day my finger print stopped unlocking the device. So I headed over to settings and found iPhone unlock, Apple pay, and iTunes & App Store was turned off. When I tried to re-enable I got an error. If I tap the iPhone on a table it will start working for a while but eventually stops. Anyone else having this issue. I'm waiting for an exchange because the place where I got the phone has been out of stock. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415777053.162944.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	71225
    Hay. I have that probles with iphone 6, too.
    Yesterday I was updated my fone to IOS 10 and i can not use my ID touch. I do not know what is going on so, if you know please help me. Thank you!
    iMore Nanite

Hay. I have that probles with iphone 6, too.
    Yesterday I was updated my fone to IOS 10 and i can not use my ID touch. I do not know what is going on so, if you know please help me. Thank you!
    iMore Nanite

Mine just started doing the same thing, after i updated too. I don't know if they'll fix it at the apple store bc mine is a refurb and I didn't get apple care ugghh