Is 16 GB enough?

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Even if you think 16g is sufficient for now, you will not think so down the road! Sooner or later you will need the extra space has been my experience!

after having a 16GB 5s and now a 16GB 6, I can safely say that's just wrong. If 16 isn't enough for you, just say it isn't enough for you. Personally, I've never had less than 7GB of space on either of my phones because I know what I want to use my for. i stream music, podcasts, and videos, never bother installing games because I'm an adult with things to do, and save all photos and video to the cloud.

Its all about personal experience. If you put a bunch of stuff on your phone, good on you. I don't and save $100 every upgrade cycle not getting more space than I need.

Okris30

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
16GB is enough for some. People use their phones differently. How you use it will determine whether 16 is enough for you or not. Not everyone downloads music from iTunes and with streaming services growing in popularity, there really isn't a need for downloading from iTunes. Again, it all depends on the user. Let me also say that I'm in favor of a larger base storage than 16 and I hope Apple retires the 16GB option for the base model in the future.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I got my 64GB at launch and right now I only have about 20gb left. I'm so glad I didn't go for the 16GB.

Same here. I was actually planning on the iPhone 6 have 16, 32, and 64 GB options, so I was planning on 32. I definitely wasn't going to get 16 GB, and I am so glad Apple made 64 GB the second option. 64 GB is the perfect amount of storage for me, and I'm glad I didn't get the 16 :)

Nathan Bael

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I was actually planning on the iPhone 6 have 16, 32, and 64 GB options, so I was planning on 32. I definitely wasn't going to get 16 GB, and I am so glad Apple made 64 GB the second option. 64 GB is the perfect amount of storage for me, and I'm glad I didn't get the 16 :)

It was a good marketing move on their part. A lot of people are realizing that 16 just isn't enough. If Apple would have made 32 the default, they would have sold a lot less storage upgrades.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't go back to 16GB. Ive gotten to the point that just the normal apps that I use, the music that I want locally on the iPhone, a couple movies for the kids, and the pictures that I take on a daily basis is just too much for the 16GB. I could make it work if I had to, but Id rather not have to worry about space. Always went with the 32GB previously, went for the 64GB this time and couldn't be happier. I dont worry about space at all now.

Couldn't agree more. The movies alone I keep on my phone for emergencys (kids, stuck at the airport, etc) take up a lot of space. For me the 64g was a no brainer.

iPhone 6 sending this your way!

thebizz

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
For me. No 16 gigs isn't near enough storage honestly I believe Apple should replace the base model with 32 gigs. Because in this day and age 16 gigs is about useless.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For me. No 16 gigs isn't near enough storage honestly I believe Apple should replace the base model with 32 gigs. Because in this day and age 16 gigs is about useless.

Depending on the user. I have 18 GB available on my 32 GB nexus 6 which means I'd have 4 GB left on a 16 GB device. I stream most of my music but keep some on my phone. Otherwise I have all my apps and pics and I'm good. All my documents are stored on google drive.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple kept the 16 gb model as the base and removed the 32 gb model to keep sales of the 32 gb from taking sales away from the 64 gb model. Those (and it's a lot) who are constrained by price to buy the 16 gb model would have got the 32 gb. But many who got the 64 gb model would have gotten the 32 gb if it had been available. Thus, sales of the 64 gb model would have been significantly less. Many people make do with 16 gb with no problem doing so. Apple sells more of the 16 gb than any other model. And now they've solved the update storage issue, negating any reason to up the base model to 32 gb. Most of us on the forums want and need more gb storage. But most stay with the cheapest, regardless of the gb's offered. Most either can't or won't pay $100 more for more storage space, when they do fine with 16 gb. Most don't put 30 gb of music on their phone. Or a bunch of movies. They just don't. My Wife's had a 32 gb iP 5c for almost a year. Out of a capacity of 27.4 gb, she has 22.4 gb available. Of the 5 gb used, about 1 gb are apps I put on her phone for my benefit. She could easily have made do with 16 gb. But the 32 gb was free. Apple knew what they were doing. Will they increase the base to 32 gb in September to appease the minority? Time will tell.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My wife, who says she "loves" her 5s is fine with 16GB but I'm sure she'd appreciate more space.

I'd echo what I'm sure others have said: If you're gonna keep the device for a couple of years and take lots of photos/videos and have music get more space. You'll appreciate it. However, for my 76 year-old mom 8GB is way more than enough, let alone 16GB.

Me? I got my 6+ with 64GB and hope I don't regret not getting 128GB.

mchi5

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Lol 16 gb is enough for you guys? Do you even use your phone at all?

Consider that right out of the box you don't really get usable total of 16 FB but more like 13-14 gb space.

If you take some videos and take a lot of pics then that space is basically used up

I thought I read it somewhere Apple still offers the 16 gb option more to entice people to the 64gb option.

Honestly Apple should get rid of the 16 gb as the base model and start at 32 gb

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Lol 16 gb is enough for you guys? Do you even use your phone at all?

Consider that right out of the box you don't really get usable total of 16 FB but more like 13-14 gb space.

If you take some videos and take a lot of pics then that space is basically used up

I thought I read it somewhere Apple still offers the 16 gb option more to entice people to the 64gb option.

Honestly Apple should get rid of the 16 gb as the base model and start at 32 gb

Do you not have Dropbox, Box, Google Photos, Amazon Cloud Drive, OneDrive, or any other photo/video managing service to auto upload your content to? I would rather keep my content online than on the thing that can get stolen or broken.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you not have Dropbox, Box, Google Photos, Amazon Cloud Drive, OneDrive, or any other photo/video managing service to auto upload your content to? I would rather keep my content online than on the thing that can get stolen or broken.

While that makes sense to a lot some of us older-schoolers want to have our content local because...well, just because, ya know...The Cloud.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
While that makes sense to a lot some of us older-schoolers want to have our content local because...well, just because, ya know...The Cloud.

then we're probably the two perfect comparisons for why or why not to get 16GB of storage. I like not having anything local from prior experience of breaking phones and not being to get that content back. as a result, I tend to just not use phone storage, so why pay an extra $100 for something I'm not using?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I keep mine passcode protected with all files saved to the cloud if lost or stolen. I also backup to Dropbox but keep things local as I don't have unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice