Is 16 GB enough?

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a 16gb 5S that works great for me. I don't use a lot of apps and I don't store photos or music on my device. I had a 16gb 4S before this. It all depends how you're going to use your iPhone.

apple_power_user

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
If you're willing to use cloud storage and the little bit of time it takes to manage your storage, you can be fine. I have the 16 GB 5s. I have 4 GB of music that I rotate as necessary from iTunes Match, my documents and photos are stored in One Drive, Box, and Dropbox. I have two games I play which are over 1 GB apiece. With all that I have over 2 GB of storage available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The only problem I have with cloud services are if you live in an area like me where LTE and 4G are sometimes none existent it’s nice to have all your music and files stored locally.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a 16GB 5S and, I'm used to at least a 32GB device, I'm finding 16 to be plenty. I keep, at most, 20-25 apps installed and only a few music albums and photos.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My question is do you expect to keep the phone for 2 years (the duration of the contract, if you're going that route)?

If so, I'd say go ahead and future proof yourself and get the 64GB. If you find yourself using the phone more and 8 months down the road you're having trouble maintaining it, you'll wish you had the extra space and it may cost more than $100 to get a larger one (depending on resale value of the 16GB vs purchasing an off-contract 64GB)

For your music, you can use [URL="https://www.apple.com/itunes/#mn_p]iTunes Match[/URL] -- $25/year -- which I have found to be a great service. You also said you keep music on dropbox and download as needed. I think that's been out of necessity, because your phone couldn't hold any more. Just a hunch :) But what if you could hold all the songs you wanted without having to switch? That's what the 64GB gives you.

Also, when you find out how great the camera is on this phone, and start taking more photos/videos, etc., it can fill up quickly as well.

I always bought the lowest one, and it was fine. Then I started doing just that -- taking more photos (the camera kept getting better since the 1st gen!), taking videos (which weren't available on the 1st model(s)), and then once I ditched the iPod in favor of using the phone, too, I quickly realized that I needed at least the mid-grade version. And I was super happy this year when I was figuring on going up from the mid-level 32 to the upper-level 64 -- and Apple decided to make the 64GB the mid-level. Twice as much space for the same price!

So for me, it will kind of be like insurance. You may not NEED it, but for a relatively small amount, you can get a LOT more space. I think once you get it and start using it, you'll be glad you did.

If the $199 is going to stretch the budget, however, that's pretty much all that would keep me from stepping up. There are places like Best Buy, however, where you can stretch the payments out if you use their card, which could help.

Let us know what you decide! And enjoy your new phone! :)

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the 4 (my first iPhone) I've stuck with the 16GB. I just got my 6 over the weekend and it's 16GB as well. I've never had any issues with it since I don't take a lot of photos, and if I do I sync them to Dropbox or move them to my computer once in a while. I also don't have a lot of apps--usually only around 30. I have a small selection of albums I have stored on there (about 250 songs) and the rest of the music I use Spotify and Pandora. I don't get a lot of email either so for me 16GB is still just fine and I have lots of room left over. It all depends on how you use the phone.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
If you're not going to load the phone up with much of your own content it should definitely be fine. I have all the music and apps I want on my 16gb 5S and its served me just fine

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm actually typing this from a shiny, brand new 16 GB space gray iPhone 6. My first iPhone!

I appreciate and understand the recommendations for getting more space, but figured I fit more into the usage category of people who reported doing OK without it. So... time will tell ;)

After loading up all the apps and music I normally use I still have 8 GB free, but I realize pictures and things will use up more as I go.

By all means continue any advice you may have, as I'm curious how others manage their limited space and other shoppers are probably debating and reading all this as well ;)

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you use Mac or PC, but when I connect to the mac iPhoto offers to import my photos from my phone, then when its done it gives me the option to delete them on the phone saving space. I’m not sure if there’s an equal Windows app for this. I also have them saved on several Cloud services.

Congrats.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
As others have said it depends on how much you utilize cloud storage. My girlfriend got 16 GB and was worried since her old phone filled up with that ... But I manage it for her now and when it starts to get full I simply just delete a bunch of photos since I have her photos backup to Google +. Once they're backed up there .. there is no need to keep older pics on the device.

I have my photos to auto back up to Google + as well. Had 16GB phones since my 4S and never had an issue.
- Super cloud user.

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there any chance that future iOS upgrades might be too big to install on 16 GB models?

Does using iTunes to do an iOS upgrade avoid needing space on the device to do it? For example, when iOS 9 becomes available, if I only have 2 GB left on my device can I use iTunes to do the upgrade process?

No I don't see that at all! It may take another 2GB more for future iOS! That leaves you with about 10GB for other stuff!

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't go back to 16GB. Ive gotten to the point that just the normal apps that I use, the music that I want locally on the iPhone, a couple movies for the kids, and the pictures that I take on a daily basis is just too much for the 16GB. I could make it work if I had to, but Id rather not have to worry about space. Always went with the 32GB previously, went for the 64GB this time and couldn't be happier. I dont worry about space at all now.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
maybe it's plenty for you. I have 64gbs and if i'd had the spare money i'd have gone with 128gbs because i have about that in music, plus i take lots of pictures, listen to lots of podcast that i'd prefer to download because cell reception is spotty and it's common to lose connection to a stream when i enter a store or am driving. Plus i've got a bunch of apps. I have 64gbs, i keep about 10gbs free for pictures and videos. It fluctuates sometimes down to about 5 or 6 gbs free but for the most part i use a lot of it. And if i added all my music i'd swamp it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice