iPhone 6 wont last long?

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
That's true because the iPhone 5c is really the iPhone 5 in a plastic body (and a slightly better front camera) and nothing more. It is using a SoC that is 1 year old than the 5s so of course it will not last as long as an iPhone 5s.

The iPhone 6 is fine. Apple did the same thing when they released the iPhone 3GS; doubled the RAM. The "S" was speed. It will probably happen next year but it's not going suddenly render my iPhone 6 useless. When the iPhone 3GS came out my iPhone 3G continued to function just fine for another year until the iPhone 4 came out. I expect the same from my iPhone 6.

You think they will release 6s next year with maybe like 2 gb ram?

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Its a letdown in a way, like they release the iPhone 6. People go crazy waiting in line for hours on release day. The best iPhone there is. People preorder the phone and have to wait, its such a success. Then shortly the S model shows up. Now everyone should have the 6S because its like when i had the 4S and people just "oh, this is only a 4, so i cant download that game, i cant do this and that".

I think the S is the hero model and a better choise. But i was too eager and couldnt wait.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Its a letdown in a way, like they release the iPhone 6. People go crazy waiting in line for hours on release day. The best iPhone there is. People preorder the phone and have to wait, its such a success. Then shortly the S model shows up. Now everyone should have the 6S because its like when i had the 4S and people just "oh, this is only a 4, so i cant download that game, i cant do this and that".

I think the S is the hero model and a better choise. But i was too eager and couldnt wait.

Then, what you are saying is, it's your fault that you couldn't wait. Correct?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If multitasking ever appears in a future iOS (which is a no brainer with the current screen size), all devices with 1GB or less will likely underperform or simply won't get the functionality. There is a chance this could happen with the 6. You have the larger screen but won't get the goodies.

What cave have you been living in? This doesn't mean the device won't last long. It means you won't receive the full functionality of a device with more functionality. We could make the same halfhearted arguments you're making and condemn the 5s. It doesn't have Apple Pay, therefore it's been dismissed by Apple and receives zero updates. It has no Health additions. It can't interface with Yosemite, etc.

Or, we could stop being drama queens and try living in the real world where it's absurd to suggest any company is going to go back and retrofit its old devices with new hardware to match the newest devices...

Your choice.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

The iPhone has always been more or less an annual release. Buy on launch day. Wait about 1 year. Rinse. Repeat.

Historically, the numbered release (4, 5, 6) has been the design change. The 'S' release is the tweak/refinement release. But all of them bring new features.

Last edited:

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Considering the A8X in the iPad Air 2 is a 3-core variant of the A8 in the iPhone 6 backed by 2gb of ram, I would guess that the A9 in next year's iPhone 6S will at least match the performance of the A8X... but it will probably be faster. So yes, I think the iPhone 6S will come with 2gb of ram.

I wouldn't say "then shortly the S model shows up". By that reasoning, after the 6S comes out, you can basically say "shortly after, the iPhone 7 will come out". If by "shortly after" you mean a year.

The S model is usually right around 12 months/1 year after the new model. This release pattern is nothing new or surprising in any way. iPhone 3G came, then a year later the 3GS, then a year after that the iPhone 4, then the 4S, then the iPhone 5... Then the 5S. Now the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus. In roughly 12 months, we'll likely get an iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Another person wrapped up in a fear that does not exist. All iPhones do is bring out the OCD in people.

its a phone, get over yourself. your not gonna die over it

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Better solution is to not get bent out of shape about ridiculous rumors that have no basis in reality.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There, I just fixed your problem.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Better yet, what is the source of this absurd rumor that's getting you all bent out of shape? What is the credibility of said source?

If I started a rumor that Apple has decided this will be the last year of the iPhone and they are shutting down, will you automatically believe it? Are you that easily influenced?

j800rl

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
The OP is clearly either new to the iPhone or have no idea how Apple work to believe that. When it comes to the iPhone, thanks to the excellent OS optimisation, specs don't matter. The RAM has climbed extremely slowly since the very first model. I highly doubt the next model will see 2GB RAM as it won't be needed. Atm most apps are optimised for the iPhone 5. I believe as far back as the 4s were all able to upgrade to iOS8. That's 3 years. A typical phone contract lasts two years. By the time the latest iOS version isn't available on your device you'll have upgraded to a later model.

To the person who said they were getting the s model next year upon its release don't waste your money. If you already have a 6 you won't feel the benefits and as most apps/games are optimised for iPhone 5 you're better to the iPhone 7 the following year and upgrade to that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

scottMan1

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Apple is holding the cards on what devices can upgrade and when basically they stop supporting the old devices. But given the huge sales of their latest phone, I fully believe they will continue supporting this phone for a long time.

If I remember correctly the 6 and maybe 5S have double the RAM of the 4s. I had little problem running ios8 on my old 4S. The only reason why I upgraded to the 6 was basically the big trade in they were giving.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Most likely yes. Every year they release a new and improved iPhone. Why wouldn't next year be the same?

Like I said, Apple has done this before and it in no way impacted my iPhone 3G. I kept using for another entire year with no problems at all. You are freaking out about nothing.

Also, with the iPhone the spec sheet means very little. My iPhone 5 is running just fine as well with 512MB of RAM right next to my iPhone 6 both with iOS 8.1. If you want to obsess over spec sheets I suggest you buy an Android device and head over to Android Central. Otherwise, enjoy your iPhone and forget about specs.

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Most likely yes. Every year they release a new and improved iPhone. Why wouldn't next year be the same?

Like I said, Apple has done this before and it in no way impacted my iPhone 3G. I kept using for another entire year with no problems at all. You are freaking out about nothing.

Also, with the iPhone the spec sheet means very little. My iPhone 5 is running just fine as well with 512MB of RAM right next to my iPhone 6 both with iOS 8.1. If you want to obsess over spec sheets I suggest you buy an Android device and head over to Android Central. Otherwise, enjoy your iPhone and forget about specs.

From what i have read the lifespan of Android is even shorter than IPhones...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

From my experience that is true, it depends on the manufacturer and their software. The longest I keep a phone as a daily driver is 2 years. In fact prior to the iPhone the longest I had ever kept a single phone was maybe 6 months tops. All my iPhones have easily crossed the 2 year threshold except for my OG iPhone. But that was only because at the time the OG iPhone had a big resale premium on it at the time and I made money by selling that and buying the iPhone 3G when it was released.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, for sure. Software updates take forever to get to your device, even if they get to your device in the first place. 6 months down the road they are outdated, with the exception of Nexus and GPE phones.

avital

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
In the 90s there was no software updates. It was just a phone, no updates to download nothing but a basic phone. Do you remember those times?

I think those phones were built to last. I still have an old Nokia with black and white display, no camera no nothing. But i bet its still working like new if i would charge and try it.

No need to say "better use your old Nokia then!" Its just interesting to think back on how everything changes. Sometimes old stuffs better than new regarding build quality.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only issue my iP 5 has had on iOS 8, is my messages app messing up. It freezes up and the keyboard vanishes at times. But since I deleted one of the 3rd party keyboards, it's done better. I have a few other minor issues, but they're not 5 specific. My Wife's 5c still works great. If Apple makes their phones obsolete too soon, there would be a backlash. People expect a phone to last longer than 2 years. Most of us here on the forums upgrade at least every 2 years. Some every year. But many may go as long as their battery holds up. For some, that may be 4 years. There's still people using the 3G.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
In the 90s there was no software updates. It was just a phone, no updates to download nothing but a basic phone. Do you remember those times?

I think those phones were built to last. I still have an old Nokia with black and white display, no camera no nothing. But i bet its still working like new if i would charge and try it.

No need to say "better use your old Nokia then!" Its just interesting to think back on how everything changes. Sometimes old stuffs better than new regarding build quality.

You're confusing "build quality" with what you're actually looking to find. The phones can last just as long. But, that's not what you want. You want them to continue receiving software updates to add functionality in addition to hardware to magically appear within the device. That's not a conversation about build quality.

You're worried the device with become "obsolete" in relation to the other devices in the market. In that context, the old phones are far more obsolete. If we're basing "build quality" on this, then those phones have terrible build quality, by relation. After all, the phones that came after those phones were drastically improved. The phones releasing now are often with negligible changes that are more gimmick than function. If we apply your shortsighted definition of "build quality," it still doesn't favor your argument.

Here's the sad thing. You don't realize that by pointing out old phones couldn't be updated where new phones can that you're pointing out newer devices are built to last longer than older devices. You can either opt to maintain the same functionality you received before, and have it be no different than an older phone without software updates, or you can extend the "life" of your phone by adding more functionality. Either way, it's no worse off than the device you're pretending had greater build quality.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73