[Opinion] The iPhone 6 Hardware Design Isn't That Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So you are telling me, if I dropped the iPhone 6 on a regular marble floor, I would have no issues (a common thing for me)? Or if I was fell on my phone (Can be clumsy sometimes too) it would be ok? Or if I spilled something in my phone (happens a lot)? Or if I dropped it from my desk

THIS right here is why you're a troll.

Let me give you a similar argument: If John Smith breathes, he's a criminal.

John Smith may be a criminal or he may not be. But, the logic used applies to all living people. As such, it's poor logic.

Electronics don't mix with fluids. It's the nature of electronics. When you drop phones, they break. That's the nature of a small device. By your standards, every phone ever created is a poor design. Every television created is a poor design. Every mp3 player, every cd player, etc.

You're clumsy, apparently. If companies catered to people like you, we'd end up with things that look like this:
the-homer-inline4.jpg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So you are telling me, if I dropped the iPhone 6 on a regular marble floor, I would have no issues (a common thing for me)? Or if I was fell on my phone (Can be clumsy sometimes too) it would be ok? Or if I spilled something in my phone (happens a lot)? Or if I dropped it from my desk?

I can't see myself using the iPhone 6 and not breaking it in my every day life. Unfortunately, I don't baby by phones, and nor should I have to, they should be able to handle mostly anything, so that if I do drop it or knock it off or fall, it would be ok. Again this is my opinion about after handling an iPhone 6. I would not throw $100s of dollars hoping a phone can handle my everyday life.

I'm sorry if that offends you.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Q93TOT0.gif

I'm not offended at all...I actually pretty clearly said I found the ideas comical, which means I laughed when I read them. I'm usually not offended when I'm laughing, but I digress.

Not sure where exactly you deduced that I said any of those things you asked me by my comment, maybe you read it again for clarity? What I inferred was that the idea that the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus was fragile because it looks fragile is hilarious. You want to know what's fragile? My plasma tv...if I drop that son of a *****, it's going to break in a dozen different ways...probably regardless of what I drop it on. Or a glass dinner plate...dropped a few of those in my time.

iPhone? Nah. Could it break if you drop it? Sure...but it could also come out the other side just fine. And considering that a pretty large % of the thing is made of glass...that's pretty impressive. I'd hardly call it fragile...but hey, maybe you have some otherworldly definition of the word...who knows.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
See this is why it's hard to express opinions. Even in the event someone is saying things you disagree with, I still find it wrong when name calling and bashing is the normal.

Unfair because it's easier to use the word "Troll" or bash someone's IQ.

Since when is it okay to talk down to people. Make them feel ostracized simply because they feel differently than you?

I was just merely saying my opinion and what I thought. I see others doing the same in this free speech forum. It's okay to express your feelings.

It's not okay to bash others or use derogatory language. No need to cut anyone down here. Agree to disagree, live and let live, then go about your day. ^^

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So Mods and Ambassadors this behavior is OK with you guys? Members here are basically talking down to me and calling me names and someone literally said **** my opinion.

If the mods here can do anything useful, you can close this thread. It seems opinions are not allowed here.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People like to assume that if they are having a problem with their phone that the majority of other iPhone owners are having the same problem. This is skewed logic...and while we're all entitled to our opinions, when a person starts commenting on how a devices design "isn't that good" because they had some isolated issues with their own device, it starts to become less about simple sharing of opinion, and more about amplifying ones opinion so it seems more like fact.

In this case, it seems it's not even about personal experience, but about assumption based on random online rhetoric...which is why I said it was hilarious earlier.

I've never had any problems with my iPhone 6 Plus...my wife hasn't had any problems with her iPhone 6. Am I naive enough to believe that because we haven't that no one has? Absolutely not...but I can safely say that I believe a majority of owners have had my same experience, otherwise we'd see a lot more complaints and far less praise.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So Mods and Ambassadors this behavior is OK with you guys? Members here are basically talking down to me and calling me names and someone literally said **** my opinion.

If the mods here can do anything useful, you can close this thread. It seems opinions are not allowed here.

Opinions are just fine as long as they follow in line with the argument you're trying to make, right? Pfft...quit crying to the mods and maintain your point. If you truly feel the way you stated, keep on supporting said claims. It's the beauty of this amazing country...we can oppose each other all day and we're free to do it until we breath our last breath. I've never known New Englander to be so easily defeated...and I grew up in a house full of 'em.

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I threw my Plus about 12 feet across a restaurant yesterday with no screen protector and only the leather case on it. Landed screen down on a floor with very low pile carpet. Should add it got about 4 feet of altitude too heh.

Not even a mark.

I wasn't worried it was fragile before but I'm certainly not now.

So A895, guess what? I guess they CAN take a drop. And I don't baby my phones at all.

Great point. It's just a phone at the end of the day... If anyone feels like they have to treat a cell phone like a infant child they obviously shouldn't own one.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Opinions are just fine as long as they follow in line with the argument you're trying to make, right? Pfft...quit crying to the mods and maintain your point. If you truly feel the way you stated, keep on supporting said claims. It's the beauty of this amazing country...we can oppose each other all day and we're free to do it until we breath our last breath. I've never known New Englander to be so easily defeated...and I grew up in a house full of 'em.

I stated my opinion, whether people agree with it or not is up to them, I did not come here to argue over a damn phone. If someone did not like this thread they could have left. But no, people like to come here and cause arguments over petty stuff like someone opinion.

I have no obligation to say more than what I already said. I don't like the iPhone 6s design. There is my opinion again. If wanting some civility in a harmless topic is "crying" then that speaks for volumes about the level of hostility that is allowed here.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
And no my opinion does not equal fact no matter how much people here want to twist my words. I said what I meant.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I stated my opinion, whether people agree with it or not is up to them, I did not come here to argue over a damn phone. If someone did not like this thread they could have left. But no, people like to come here and cause arguments over petty stuff like someone opinion.

I have no obligation to say more than what I already said. I don't like the iPhone 6s design. There is my opinion again. If wanting some civility in a harmless topic is "crying" then that speaks for volumes about the level of hostility that is allowed here.

I used the term crying because of your post above asking the mods to close the thread...come on now, let's not get short term memory loss when it comes to what you said yourself.

And I've got no problem with your opinion man! I welcome it! You know where it changes over from simple opinion though? When you say something like "The iPhone 6 hardware design isn't that good". That's a blanket statement...there is no "in my opinion" there, it's just a fact for fact comment...and you're damn right someones going to come back and argue it. You don't like it? Big deal! I don't like it when people make blanket statements as if their comments are the end all be all truth.

You know how you could avoid ALL of this banter? By simply adding "In my opinion" when that is what you mean. So many people miss that, and then they get all bent out of shape when people debate their comments. I'm not going to just assume everything you type out on her should come with an asterisk of *in my opinion...not unless you say it. And if you don't, you're going to get the response you did.

Lastly, you don't even own the device...so why are you even concerned about ridiculous assessments of durability? lol! It'd be like me going to a Ferrari website and starting an "opinionated" complaint thread about how they are too fragile when driving into a wall at 100mph.

Give me a friggin' break.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Here is another point where you're being disingenuous. If you'd like us to stop talking down to you, stop insulting our intelligence. I tend to get condescending with people when they're acting as if they deserve it.

You came here for the sole purpose of arguing about a "damn phone." You knew this was a community where the majority had a viewpoint different than yours. This means you reasonably expected one of two replies: silence or dissent. If you expected silence, it's unlikely you would have posted. This leaves one possible expectation.

With that one expectation, there are two reasonable possibilities: you wanted to stir the pot and leave or you wanted to remain to discuss it. When you offer nothing of substance and expect dissenting opinions, that's going to start an "argument" every time. We can ignore the first option as you've clearly come back multiple times. If you didn't see this coming, you're daft. I don't believe that's the case. That leaves just one option: You came here specifically to argue about a "damn phone."

Stop being a pitiful liar and we'll stop treating you like a child coming here to stir things up. It's a pretty simple equation. You're welcome to your opinion, regardless of how nonsensical it is in this particular situation. You're welcome to stir things up. But it's downright sad to throw a tantrum and ask mods to bail you out when you realize you're not as witty as you imagined.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

So now you are telling us what we can and cannot agree with? Here's a news flash: whether or not I agree with your opinion IS UP TO ME. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers a bit, but it’s a fact.

It’s fine that you don’t like the design. No one said you had to or that you were wrong for not liking the design. You are entitled to your opinion - I even said so much earlier in this thread. But at the end of the day, it’s JUST your opinion - and no matter how you spin it, it is not fact. And the rest of the world is free to agree or disagree.

And while you are under no obligation to say more than what you’ve already said, it doesn’t appear that you really mean that, because here you are, carrying on all the more about your opinion.

And you think this is hostile? Um, you might want to buckle that seat belt just a little tighter.

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it's hilarious that people project fragility on a device simply because they visually think it represents being fragile, and not because it's actually physically fragile. Paranoia is a hell of a thing!

Physics disagrees with you. A device that is thinner and longer than the device that proceeded it is going to be more fragile than the device that is shorter and thinner when both devices are made from the same material.

Systemic testing by CR has shown that to be the case.

That does not imply in any way that the iPhone 6 will bend from regular use. It does imply that it is structurally weaker than the shorter and thicker iPhone 5/5s.

Last edited:

nj1266

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had issues with it overheating. With it being slimmer, there is a higher surface area to volume ratio. As a result, I'd expect the heat dissipation would have an easier time. After all, increasing the size purely for heat would increase the volume at a greater rate than it would increase the surface area. That means there's more volume to stay warm inside with less surface area to dissipate the heat to other locations.

I suppose you could put a larger battery in by doing this. How much more thicker should we make it purely to increase battery?

The device being thicker would do nothing for corner stabilization. Sure, you could use a thicker frame. But, it's already sufficiently strong. If you try to break it, it'll break. If you don't, it won't. Making it thicker so you feel more secure that you won't break it doesn't make any sense from a practical viewpoint. That's like requiring all shoes to be platform shoes because you believe they'll provide more padding when you walk.

So instead of "camera bulge," you'd prefer "phone bulge"? If that little bulge annoys you, why would the entire device being that size not annoy you?

Something boosting the signal is essentially an antenna. When it comes to antenna theory, increasing the thickness of the phone isn't going to provide much of a benefit. Antennas are fickle creatures. They aren't something that increase signal simply by being larger.

You think it's unfair because you didn't understand my point. I didn't claim there couldn't be benefit from a larger design. It's unfair for you to suggest I did. In fact, it's intellectually criminal to suggest I'm putting a large weight on aesthetics. Did you read the conversation? I claimed he was trolling because he based his opinion of the design purely on his perception of the aesthetics rather than anything functional. It's absurd to claim I'm valuing aesthetics over design.

There are very valid reasons to disagree with the design. That's going to be true with any design. Most of what you offered here was grasping at straws to try to justify your reasons for not liking it. Here's the thing. You don't like it. You don't need to justify it, to me or anyone else. But, if you're going to justify it you should do so logically. The reason the OP gave was asinine. When someone is offering an asinine opinion, the most common reason is trolling. His reason was "I perceive it to be weak so it's bad design." It wasn't even "it's weak as a result of this design decision." It was like me saying "I believe wheels being round mean the car won't stop. Therefore it's a bad design." We both know that doesn't prevent the car from stopping and my belief has no actual relevance on whether or not the cars can stop. It's not a valid point.

How about keeping it as thick as the iPhone 5 and using the 0.7 mm to put a larger battery and remove that protrusion on the camera? No one would have given a rat's behind if the iPhone 6 was the same thickness as the 5. If it was thicker then that would have raised eyebrows.

There are reports coming out on macrumors of screen distortions on the iPad Air 2 when picking it up from the edges and exerting pressure on the back of the iPad. No one has figured out why by the theory is that Apple went so thin with the tablet that internals are exerting pressure on the back of the screen and that is causing distortion.

This obsession with thinness is getting out of hand.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I am done here. I said what I needed to say. I am not going to repeat what I already said because it is all in the OP.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Here is another point where you're being disingenuous. If you'd like us to stop talking down to you, stop insulting our intelligence. I tend to get condescending with people when they're acting as if they deserve it.

You came here for the sole purpose of arguing about a "damn phone." You knew this was a community where the majority had a viewpoint different than yours. This means you reasonably expected one of two replies: silence or dissent. If you expected silence, it's unlikely you would have posted. This leaves one possible expectation.

With that one expectation, there are two reasonable possibilities: you wanted to stir the pot and leave or you wanted to remain to discuss it. When you offer nothing of substance and expect dissenting opinions, that's going to start an "argument" every time. We can ignore the first option as you've clearly come back multiple times. If you didn't see this coming, you're daft. I don't believe that's the case. That leaves just one option: You came here specifically to argue about a "damn phone."

Stop being a pitiful liar and we'll stop treating you like a child coming here to stir things up. It's a pretty simple equation. You're welcome to your opinion, regardless of how nonsensical it is in this particular situation. You're welcome to stir things up. But it's downright sad to throw a tantrum and ask mods to bail you out when you realize you're not as witty as you imagined.

That is the point! It was my opinion! Not yours. I didn't come here to stir any pot. But yet you took offense to text on the internet. But you think it is OK to talk other members here they way you currently you are right now?

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I used the term crying because of your post above asking the mods to close the thread...come on now, let's not get short term memory loss when it comes to what you said yourself.

And I've got no problem with your opinion man! I welcome it! You know where it changes over from simple opinion though? When you say something like "The iPhone 6 hardware design isn't that good". That's a blanket statement...there is no "in my opinion" there, it's just a fact for fact comment...and you're damn right someones going to come back and argue it. You don't like it? Big deal! I don't like it when people make blanket statements as if their comments are the end all be all truth.

You know how you could avoid ALL of this banter? By simply adding "In my opinion" when that is what you mean. So many people miss that, and then they get all bent out of shape when people debate their comments. I'm not going to just assume everything you type out on her should come with an asterisk of *in my opinion...not unless you say it. And if you don't, you're going to get the response you did.

Lastly, you don't even own the device...so why are you even concerned about ridiculous assessments of durability? lol! It'd be like me going to a Ferrari website and starting an "opinionated" complaint thread about how they are too fragile when driving into a wall at 100mph.

Give me a friggin' break.

I said my opinion SEVERAL TIMES! It says opinion in the TITLE! What is the issue, when I say it is my opinion several times in this thread.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So now you are telling us what we can and cannot agree with? Here's a news flash: whether or not I agree with your opinion IS UP TO ME. Sorry if that ruffles your feathers a bit, but it?s a fact.

It?s fine that you don?t like the design. No one said you had to or that you were wrong for not liking the design. You are entitled to your opinion - I even said so much earlier in this thread. But at the end of the day, it?s JUST your opinion - and no matter how you spin it, it is not fact. And the rest of the world is free to agree or disagree.

And while you are under no obligation to say more than what you?ve already said, it doesn?t appear that you really mean that, because here you are, carrying on all the more about your opinion.

And you think this is hostile? Um, you might want to buckle that seat belt just a little tighter.

Yes it is hostile. I don't take kindly to condescending tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2