[Opinion] The iPhone 6 Hardware Design Isn't That Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I honestly stopped reading here. You wanted us to not label you as a troll based on effort. I'm not suggesting you're a lazy troll. But, you're certainly a troll.

You essentially said "Apple would have seen benefit by adding excess materials that provided zero functionality so that I could trust myself not to be a child and break my new toy." That's not a worthwhile complaint. If you think it needs to be more bulky, buy a case. That's not an error in design. It's an error in the user.

I still think this is a bit unfair, I too see the benefit in a slightly more sturdy and bulkier frame. It can help keep temperatures cooler by allowing more room for heat dissipation. Larger capacity battery. More room for frame reinforcement and corner stabilization. No external camera bulge. Possibly even a great antenna or signal boosting internal band.

I don't know, I guess I just see things differently. Aesthetics are important to me, yes. Though I weigh the benefit of design versus practicality. I know everyone has their own feelings on this. I don't think anyone is wrong here.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I honestly stopped reading here. You wanted us to not label you as a troll based on effort. I'm not suggesting you're a lazy troll. But, you're certainly a troll.

You essentially said "Apple would have seen benefit by adding excess materials that provided zero functionality so that I could trust myself not to be a child and break my new toy." That's not a worthwhile complaint. If you think it needs to be more bulky, buy a case. That's not an error in design. It's an error in the user.

This is why it I called it an OPINION not fact. You took the time to label me a troll because I don't like the design of a PHONE. Think about that for a second.

And I said what I meant. These devices are smart phones, things we use each and every day, day in and day out. I don't honestly think the iPhone 6 is built to be an actual tool more like a device you think is pretty to look at, again this is MY OPINION. Not yours. I don't care if you read what I have to say or not, you are reading and responding on your own time and prerogative.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Good write up. My first attraction was the design. Could Apple of done better but hey pretty good. I am also coming from note 3, never had an iphone prior.
I have the 6 part of wishing I had gone with the plus (next time).
Have to admit using the griffin case and Zagg HDX protector. I keep reading about scratches.
With that I have a hard time keeping the thing out of my hand.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Well this is how I see it.
People can not give Apple their money fast enough for the iPhone 6 & 6+. Record setting sales if I'm not mistaken, with no signs of letting up through the holiday seasons as well. One would think this type of performance indicates that the iPhone 6 hardware design is actually quite good, and Jony Ive & company are high-fiving & belly-bumping all the way to the bank!
It always makes me smile when someone who never designed anything in their lives, voices their opinion on how poorly of a job a designer such as Ive has done, on a product that's totally crushing it ...

Last edited:

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
People can not give Apple their money fast enough for the iPhone 6 & 6+. Record setting sales if I'm not mistaken, with no signs of letting up through the holiday seasons as well. One would think this type of performance indicates that the iPhone 6 hardware design is actually quite good, and Jony Ive & company are high-fiving & belly-bumping all the way to the bank!
It always makes me smile when someone who never designed anything in their lives, voices their opinion on how poorly of a job a designer such as Ive has done, on a product that's totally crushing it ...

I am not going to assume like you obviously are, what drives iPhone sales, I am specifically talking about myself and my personal thoughts. Yet people like you feel the need to try you hardest to make my own OPINION seem bad when it is just that, an opinion.

It like you can't give criticism on the internet anymore. I gave my reason, whether you agree with them or not is up to you, that is then your issue, not mine.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I am not going to assume like you obviously are, what drives iPhone sales, I am specifically talking about myself and my personal thoughts. Yet people like you feel the need to try you hardest to make my own OPINION seem bad when it is just that, an opinion.

It like you can't give criticism on the internet anymore. I gave my reason, whether you agree with them or not is up to you, that is then your issue, not mine.

Now see that's just it, it's a little presumptuous of you to assume that you can come to an iPhone forum bash a product that you don't even own .. Oh Wait! ... I'm sorry! ... give your honest heart felt opinion on a product that you don't even own, and expect no one to call BS ...
It might be your opinion alright, and you made sure to repeat that like 20 times in your first post, but you were fully aware that you would be stirring the pot none the less. Opinions are a funny thing. Sometimes we are asked for our opinions, other times we volunteer them, and then they are times when they are best kept to ourselves. A good example of this would be"gee honey, those pants sure do make your *** look fat"! Common sense will tell most people that nothing good will become of volunteering that opinion, and should be kept to oneself ...

canusaybimmy

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

+2784327432

But...I could have designed it better if I wanted to :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it's hilarious that people project fragility on a device simply because they visually think it represents being fragile, and not because it's actually physically fragile. Paranoia is a hell of a thing!

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Now see that's just it, it's a little presumptuous of you to assume that you can come to an iPhone forum bash a product that you don't even own .. Oh Wait! ... I'm sorry! ... give your honest heart felt opinion on a product that you don't even own, and expect no one to call BS ...
It might be your opinion alright, and you made sure to repeat that like 20 times in your first post, but you were fully aware that you would be stirring the pot none the less. Opinions are a funny thing. Sometimes we are asked for our opinions, other times we volunteer them, and then they are times when they are best kept to ourselves. A good example of this would be"gee honey, those pants sure do make your *** look fat"! Common sense will tell most people that nothing good will become of volunteering that opinion, and should be kept to oneself ...

Sounds like a personal problem and not mine. If you find issue with this thread, by all means leave. You are taking the time to read and comment here.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I think it's hilarious that people project fragility on a device simply because they visually think it represents being fragile, and not because it's actually physically fragile. Paranoia is a hell of a thing!

So you are telling me, if I dropped the iPhone 6 on a regular marble floor, I would have no issues (a common thing for me)? Or if I was fell on my phone (Can be clumsy sometimes too) it would be ok? Or if I spilled something in my phone (happens a lot)? Or if I dropped it from my desk?

I can't see myself using the iPhone 6 and not breaking it in my every day life. Unfortunately, I don't baby by phones, and nor should I have to, they should be able to handle mostly anything, so that if I do drop it or knock it off or fall, it would be ok. Again this is my opinion about after handling an iPhone 6. I would not throw $100s of dollars hoping a phone can handle my everyday life.

I'm sorry if that offends you.

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Again, this is my opinion, you don't have to comment or post people, I am not trying to troll or circlejerk, I am voicing my personal concerns about the hardware itself.

It seems opinions not going with the status quo are immediately attacked, I though iMore was better than this.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a personal problem and not mine. If you find issue with this thread, by all means leave. You are taking the time to read and comment here.

I'm not the one who doesn't even have an an iPhone 6, but still feels the need to come here and complain about them ... hmmmm ...

A895

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No smartphones not in cases are going to handle those things. They are not designed to be dropped on hard surfaces, fallen on, or have liquids spilled in them any more than any other electronic device. That's not babying them; it's just common sense. Those actions would have ruined a late '80's cassette Walkman as well. If you can't treat your devices properly (or buy a case capable of sustaining such treatment) then maybe you should go back to FisherPrice.

Wow.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

I threw my Plus about 12 feet across a restaurant yesterday with no screen protector and only the leather case on it. Landed screen down on a floor with very low pile carpet. Should add it got about 4 feet of altitude too heh.

Not even a mark.

I wasn't worried it was fragile before but I'm certainly not now.

So A895, guess what? I guess they CAN take a drop. And I don't baby my phones at all.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

And losing IQ points by the minute for the effort. Wow.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I am not trying to troll or circlejerk, I am voicing my personal concerns about the hardware itself.

It seems opinions not going with the status quo are immediately attacked, I though iMore was better than this.

Which is usually said right before somebody starts trolling ... nice touch....

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
This is why it I called it an OPINION not fact. You took the time to label me a troll because I don't like the design of a PHONE. Think about that for a second.

And I said what I meant. These devices are smart phones, things we use each and every day, day in and day out. I don't honestly think the iPhone 6 is built to be an actual tool more like a device you think is pretty to look at, again this is MY OPINION. Not yours. I don't care if you read what I have to say or not, you are reading and responding on your own time and prerogative.

I labeled you a troll because your opinion was based on nonsense. There are valid ways to make a point and there's the point you made.

For example, Septembersrain attempted to explain possible functionality. You did not. You ranted about things you could easily fix. Those of you that feel those things NEED to be fixed can easily do so. Those that think the fixes are excessive are free to not do so. As a result, Apple reaches both groups rather than a minority. If you believe limiting your group based on nonsensical reasons provides a benefit, you are either naive or trolling. I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It can help keep temperatures cooler by allowing more room for heat dissipation.
I haven't had issues with it overheating. With it being slimmer, there is a higher surface area to volume ratio. As a result, I'd expect the heat dissipation would have an easier time. After all, increasing the size purely for heat would increase the volume at a greater rate than it would increase the surface area. That means there's more volume to stay warm inside with less surface area to dissipate the heat to other locations.

Larger capacity battery.
I suppose you could put a larger battery in by doing this. How much more thicker should we make it purely to increase battery?

More room for frame reinforcement and corner stabilization.
The device being thicker would do nothing for corner stabilization. Sure, you could use a thicker frame. But, it's already sufficiently strong. If you try to break it, it'll break. If you don't, it won't. Making it thicker so you feel more secure that you won't break it doesn't make any sense from a practical viewpoint. That's like requiring all shoes to be platform shoes because you believe they'll provide more padding when you walk.

No external camera bulge.
So instead of "camera bulge," you'd prefer "phone bulge"? If that little bulge annoys you, why would the entire device being that size not annoy you?

Possibly even a great antenna or signal boosting internal band.
Something boosting the signal is essentially an antenna. When it comes to antenna theory, increasing the thickness of the phone isn't going to provide much of a benefit. Antennas are fickle creatures. They aren't something that increase signal simply by being larger.

I still think this is a bit unfair, I too see the benefit in a slightly more sturdy and bulkier frame. I don't know, I guess I just see things differently. Aesthetics are important to me, yes. Though I weigh the benefit of design versus practicality. I know everyone has their own feelings on this. I don't think anyone is wrong here.
You think it's unfair because you didn't understand my point. I didn't claim there couldn't be benefit from a larger design. It's unfair for you to suggest I did. In fact, it's intellectually criminal to suggest I'm putting a large weight on aesthetics. Did you read the conversation? I claimed he was trolling because he based his opinion of the design purely on his perception of the aesthetics rather than anything functional. It's absurd to claim I'm valuing aesthetics over design.

There are very valid reasons to disagree with the design. That's going to be true with any design. Most of what you offered here was grasping at straws to try to justify your reasons for not liking it. Here's the thing. You don't like it. You don't need to justify it, to me or anyone else. But, if you're going to justify it you should do so logically. The reason the OP gave was asinine. When someone is offering an asinine opinion, the most common reason is trolling. His reason was "I perceive it to be weak so it's bad design." It wasn't even "it's weak as a result of this design decision." It was like me saying "I believe wheels being round mean the car won't stop. Therefore it's a bad design." We both know that doesn't prevent the car from stopping and my belief has no actual relevance on whether or not the cars can stop. It's not a valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.