Your opinion on Rite Aid and CVS removing NFC payments

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to be honest I think the CurrentC idea could be awesome for these retailers. It could sidestep the credit card companies and pass those savings along to the consumer for using it instead of credit cards. I don't think they're going about it in the right way, they should accept both, but offer incentive to use CurrentC or possibly make it work with Applepay. I use the Cumberland Farms Smart pay app on my phone which I'm guessing is going to be sort of like CurrentC for gas and it is awesome. It saves me 10 cents a gallon and is very easy to use.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
They won't pass the savings from CC interchange fees on to consumers though. They'll just use it to pad their profits.

Is that your opinion or a fact? Target already does this when you use their card which is linked to your checking account and so does Cumberland farms. Also in a press release I read that they were going to do that?

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh just my opinion. Of course their press release will say that. I just have no faith in most retailers and certainly will not trust them with access to my checking account. My personal opinion is that they will say that the savings get passed on to consumers (the 2-3% CC merchant fees), but in reality they will just jack up prices by that 3% and then give you the 3% back so it will not save you anything. Retailers have been doing this with sales for years (i.e., 20% off sales but oh we forgot to tell you we raised prices by 30% yesterday before the sale started). Yes, I'm cynical.

Oh, it is an opinion and not a fact....I was confused because you were very quick to discredit me and no where in there you stated it was your opinion.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Oh, it is an opinion and not a fact....I was confused because you were very quick to discredit me and no where in there you stated it was your opinion.

I agree with Karen, based on my previous work experience in retail as well as my shopping experiences over my 61 years. Retailers do raise prices, then put them on sale for the previous price before the increase. It's deceptive. But most shoppers don't notice. All they see is "SALE".

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

essay2u

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I have to be honest I think the CurrentC idea could be awesome for these retailers. It could sidestep the credit card companies and pass those savings along to the consumer for using it instead of credit cards. I don't think they're going about it in the right way, they should accept both, but offer incentive to use CurrentC or possibly make it work with Applepay. I use the Cumberland Farms Smart pay app on my phone which I'm guessing is going to be sort of like CurrentC for gas and it is awesome. It saves me 10 cents a gallon and is very easy to use.

I agree. The more competition the better. Let the market decide what sticks. Would be great to see retailers give their customers the choice to use apple pay, Google wallet, currentc or another similar form of payment.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Early adoption is always a tricky dance...it's been happening since electronics became a thing. Apple Pay will, no doubt, gain traction because you simply cannot deny that monumental amount of customers in a user base. Apple Pay has the upper hand that Blu-Ray grabbed early in that tech battle...it has the numbers on it's side, so it's really just a matter of time before companies realize how futile their fight is against it, and they accept that they will need to accommodate the feature.

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Karen, based on my previous work experience in retail as well as my shopping experiences over my 61 years...

Are you including Apple under the "retailers" umbrella?
I agree that retailers are all about penny-pinching. I also think that credit card companies and banks (big supporters of Apple Pay), are no less greedy.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you including Apple under the "retailers" umbrella?
I agree that retailers are all about penny-pinching. I also think that credit card companies and banks (big supporters of Apple Pay), are no less greedy.
I should have said, "Many retailers...". I didn't mean to imply all retailers do that. Does Apple? Don't know.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I thought the same thing as Karen -- I don't think it's trying to discredit you as much as stating an opposing opinion. Maybe if they do like gas with a cash or credit price that would suffice.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I thought the same thing as Karen -- I don't think it's trying to discredit you as much as stating an opposing opinion. Maybe if they do like gas with a cash or credit price that would suffice.

I have no problem with someone having an opposing opinion but to clearly state that something won't happen isn't stating an opinion.

"They won't pass the savings from CC interchange fees on to consumers though. They'll just use it to pad their profits."

Nowhere in this post does it say she thinks something else will happen. It clearly states that it won't happen.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I quickly replied back that it was my opinion so why is this still an issue.

It's not, I was replying to Robert. I haven't even looked at this thread except when I'm quoted. I only go on here to read unless I have a specific reason once or twice a day. I forgot about this until I read his post.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have no problem with someone having an opposing opinion but to clearly state that something won't happen isn't stating an opinion.

"They won't pass the savings from CC interchange fees on to consumers though. They'll just use it to pad their profits."

Nowhere in this post does it say she thinks something else will happen. It clearly states that it won't happen.

I read it as being her opinion. Perhaps because I was thinking the same thing and I know that's my opinion. But we will see :)

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Naturally it was hacked. Perhaps when the credit card numbers get hacked, they'll follow Target's lead and sign everyone up for a free years worth of credit monitoring. Yay for reactionary security measures.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't shop at either store, so it makes no difference to me, but I think is a bad business move. Not because they don't accept Apple pay. But because of the fact that they are not giving the customer any option. This is America! All because they want to avoid the credit card fees. So all this is in the interest of them, not the customer.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods