Inbox by Gmail! Anyone try it?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's the setting. To get to it you go to SETTINGS->Mail/contacts->gmail

Tap on your email address at the top and you will get an account detail page. At the bottom is "advanced" so tap that.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415192485.330961.jpg

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, brilliant info. So I guess the only downside now is that they got rid of "exchange" option, i.e. adding your account via Exchange and thus syncing email, Calendar, Contacts, etc.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...things must have changed! I added my GMail account to my iPhone 6 Plus, using Google, and all the sync options are there for Contacts, Calendar, etc. I could have sworn a while back GMail\Google took this away, no?

Albeit, only 'fetch' is an option now, right, no PUSH?

Anyway, I digress...

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Here's the setting. To get to it you go to SETTINGS->Mail/contacts->gmail

Tap on your email address at the top and you will get an account detail page. At the bottom is "advanced" so tap that.
View attachment 70667
Robert, as far as I know "deleted" messages go to the "trash" folder in webmail.
You don't have to use the "archive" folder, you can use the trash as default.
I think there is a setting within the webmail where you can change that default behavior. If I remember well mine us set to "trash". All messages in "trash" will be deleted permanently after about 30 days.

I will check where my "done" emails go to and how long I can recover them.
I assumed they will be deleted after about a month but not sure about it after your complaint about the app.

Edit: quick check already convinced me you are right! Thanks for bringing this up!

cmrobbins42

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Robert, as far as I know "deleted" messages go to the "trash" folder in webmail.
You don't have to use the "archive" folder, you can use the trash as default.
I think there is a setting within the webmail where you can change that default behavior. If I remember well mine us set to "trash". All messages in "trash" will be deleted permanently after about 30 days.

I will check where my "done" emails go to and how long I can recover them.
I assumed they will be deleted after about a month but not sure about it after your complaint about the app.

Edit: quick check already convinced me you are right! Thanks for bringing this up!

Yeah done sends to the All Mail folder. I don't have an issue with just moving messages to the trash tho. One extra step: hit the three dots, hit trash (the first option).

4rQrWbU.png

blueszz

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I'll archive them and when on the PC I'll empty and delete manually once in a while. Swiping to the right to mark as done is incredibly convenient ;-) that I take it for granted for the time being.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll archive them and when on the PC I'll empty and delete manually once in a while. Swiping to the right to mark as done is incredibly convenient ;-) that I take it for granted for the time being.

Swiping is how Mailbox does it. Swipe to archive, swipe a bit farther to delete. Changes color depending on how far you swipe so you know what it does.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Submitted my request for an invite during that "happy hour" this evening. Received my confirmation and invite. So far, I'm not really liking this app. The GMail app gets the job done far easier in my opinion. The organization of the InBox app is... Weird.

I'll give it a month or two and see if I notice any advantages over GMail.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Submitted my request for an invite during that "happy hour" this evening. Received my confirmation and invite. So far, I'm not really liking this app. The GMail app gets the job done far easier in my opinion. The organization of the InBox app is... Weird.

I'll give it a month or two and see if I notice any advantages over GMail.

I quickly realized that it wasn't for me when I saw it uses the tabbed approach that Gmail has -- the same one I quickly disabled when it became available. My wife uses the tabs, but I hate them. I like everything in one bucket.

Mailbox seems to have the best of both worlds -- just started using it again after using the Gmail app for a while (due to its better, for me, search features)

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I quickly realized that it wasn't for me when I saw it uses the tabbed approach that Gmail has -- the same one I quickly disabled when it became available. My wife uses the tabs, but I hate them. I like everything in one bucket.

Mailbox seems to have the best of both worlds -- just started using it again after using the Gmail app for a while (due to its better, for me, search features)

Me too after all that still like iOS mail app better. Had to try it though.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not impressed. I like CloudMagic better. I noticed the new Google Maps app has the same side panel menu as Inbox.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

mistabritt

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
It took me a few days to get used to it after forcing myself to test it out and I actually love it. It became a lot easier to use and understand for me once I figured out how to unbundle my emails from the categories (labels) gmail classified them as. Still my only gripe is that I wish they had included a way to actually delete emails from the trash. However, since I don't constantly check my email everyday, all I basically do is trash everything at night either through gmail.com or the stock iPhone mail app.

truenorthstrong

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't like it just like the gmail app the emails are zoomed out the stock app is much better, the format and pictures are more viewable without having to zoom in like the inbox app. Gonna delete it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner