Which is your Map of choice: Google or Apple?

mitc5502

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to use Apple Maps more and ween myself off Google, but AM doesn't show biking/walking routes like GM does, so we'll see how long I can tolerate that.

jamesedward318

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Google Maps and this is ONLY because Google has an avoiding tolls option. That's a deal breaker for me.....sadly.

This is the only reason I still use Google Maps as well. I was driving from Cleveland to somewhere I forgot?oh yeah it was Elyria. Apple Maps wanted me to take a toll route. Google Maps got me there without even riding past a toll and almost seven minutes quicker.

Jim_in_VA

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Google has been perfecting its maps for years. Apple not so much. Does Apple even have street view cars traveling around the world? I saw lately that Google put a street view camera on the back of a camel and set it out walking the Sahara Desert. Does Apple do that? Not knocking Apple, love their products ...but really, Google maps are far and away better than Apples

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Before when Apple maps led me around the block, I used Google but Apple maps have been really great lately. I just say where I want to go and Apple maps takes me.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Google has been my #1 go to. I haven't used Apple maps in a long time because of the errors with it, but reading these posts it seems many have been addressed...so I may give it a shot here and there.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If I am out and about on foot, I use Apple Maps because of the Siri integration. If I am driving and want a SatNav, I use a third party app.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Apple maps still sucks for searches. Type in like "chicken" or "Toyota" and it'll pull up Toyota, Japan. I rarely searches locally. I use Google maps for searches.

You obviously haven't used Apple maps lately, because both inquiries pulled the desired local results ...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I use Waze daily for the crowd sourced traffic info (gotta know were the po-po is hiding) ;)
If I really need to know an address I'll use Apple maps because Wazes search is seriously laking some times ...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Google has been my #1 go to. I haven't used Apple maps in a long time because of the errors with it, but reading these posts it seems many have been addressed...so I may give it a shot here and there.
Apple maps had its issues at launch but those issues where nowhere near as bad as certain elements of the tech press made them out to be...for me, Apple maps started to OK and has improved with time.

dunamis

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
how accurate is traffic comparing these two? I've noticed that every time Apple maps always says it's quicker than Google map? How accurate and up to minute is Apple map compared to gmap?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I use both depending on the use case:

- Google Maps is much better for vague searches since it uses Google to interpret what you want. It will be hard for Apple to match that
- In my experience, Google Maps has several times directed me to a store that had since closed or moved. When I was in Ft. Lauderdale recently, GMaps directed me to a Best Buy that had since moved, whereas Apple Maps directed me to its current location. Happened a few other times as well.
- The data accuracy of Apple Maps has improved by leaps and bounds over the last couple years.

Google has been perfecting its maps for years. Apple not so much. Does Apple even have street view cars traveling around the world? I saw lately that Google put a street view camera on the back of a camel and set it out walking the Sahara Desert. Does Apple do that? Not knocking Apple, love their products ...but really, Google maps are far and away better than Apples

This is factually untrue and sounds pretty fanboy'ish. Apple Maps is leaps and bounds improved in data accuracy today over it's release with iOS6. There were 4-5 specific instances that I personally witnessed inaccurate data with Apple Maps that I shared on this forum, that have all now been corrected. To say that Apple has not been improving their maps is a factually incorrect statement.

Granted, this is for the United States. I cannot speak for improvements outside of the US, I can only speak for improvements in where I live. People need to take this into account when evaluating this product - where you live should filter out what reviews you should actually care about. e.g. If I'm not planning on traveling to Poland, reviews that say "Apple Maps is worthless in Poland" really shouldn't influence me because it doesn't effect me. If I was travelling to Poland, then it might.

As far as street view, yes Google has that better. I often use Street View when I want to get a visual of the location I'm going to. On the other hand, unless I'm planning a road trip through a desert, the fact that one mapping solution put a camera on a camel has absolutely zero impact on my ability to get from point A to point B in places other than the desert and doesn't weigh on my decision of what mapping product to use, which is a nicer way of saying "who cares?".

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I use Google, great navigation and precision ...which is your choice?
I've used both extensively, but I've settled on Apple Maps until it fails me. Also, I don't really need either all that much being that I have voice-guided navigation in my car.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2