Which is your Map of choice: Google or Apple?

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I try to use Apple Maps, but it still gets me lost at least one out of every three times I use it... and even when it does get me where I am going, it is often not the most efficient route.

One example: I was in a nearby town and wanted to stop at a market for some groceries before heading home. Apple Maps got me to the store, but as I approached, Maps said to go straight, past the shopping complex, wait at the light, make a U-turn, then head back to the complex and enter on my right. Instead, I made a left about half a block before the U-turn, and entered the same shopping complex immediately. It's not a big deal, but that sort of thing happens often. It's just those sort of little inefficiencies that irk me and really show that Apple Maps still needs a decent amount of polishing.

I never had issues with Apple Maps. I tried Google Maps and it took me the long way to my house when I was playing around with it.

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Both Google and Apple maps. They use data. If you don't have data on they will not work.

I actually just did a search and it said you can. It started with IOS 6. Don't no why I checked again. I found out because the guy at the Apple store told me. I was ******** about missing Nokia Here Map. You need data for the search aspect but the maps are preloaded.

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I am going to have to concede this one because I am working from what the apple store guy told me. He said it is preloaded or something, but I dont know for sure. I am assuming it will need to be connected for search options.

A.B.

Last edited:

Stefano_B

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Haven't tested apple's maps too much, because of the initial disappointment. So Google maps is my preferred choice for sure. Undoubtedly Apple will improve with time.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
It would be cool if someone did an in-depth test on which mapping service actually used more data. Would probably be very handy information for those on limited data plans. :)

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I use Google. Honestly I wouldn't even try Apple maps because Google Maps does what I need them to do and I am comfortable using it. Apples vector base is smart and really cool (I work in a vector based program every day) vector files are very very small. You are still using data with Apple Maps, but it is minuscule compared to how Google rasterizes their maps. more data, but slightly more accurate is my understanding.

Apple Maps=Adobe Illustrator
Google Maps=Adobe Photoshop

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Apple Maps on my iPhones. However, now that I've got my Note 4 I will try Google Maps on it.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Apple usually. Google, if Apple Maps doesn't turn up a good search. And then usually navigon if it's a long road trip.

I didn't know about the Apple Maps uses no data part. I assumed it did along with google maps.

tewest86

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple maps still sucks for searches. Type in like "chicken" or "Toyota" and it'll pull up Toyota, Japan. I rarely searches locally. I use Google maps for searches.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed Apple Maps does not give me the best directions to some locations and at times fails to properly find some addresses. One day it told me my dentists office was in the middle of I-287, when it was 2 blocks up. Google Maps is more accurate and gives better directions for me. Heading to my girlfriends, Apple Maps wants me to go through town whereas Google Maps sends me through the highway and saves me lots more time. So while I do give Apple Maps a chance here and there, Google Maps is my go-to for directions.

I do however enjoy how Apple Maps shows me my directions on the lock screen. Very useful...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It would be cool if someone did an in-depth test on which mapping service actually used more data. Would probably be very handy information for those on limited data plans. :)
Buy an app that loads map data to the device so the only data needed is for online searches via the app... Navigon is one of those.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro