Location services seems to be running all the time

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I have recently noticed that whenever I am using my iPhone 6, the icon for location services is on. I have set almost nothing to use location services. When I look at the location services screen in General Settings, I see nothing has used location services recently, however, the icon is still there.

Any ideas as to why the icon is always on showing location services running?

evornoss

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
If you go into Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and scroll all the way down, there is an option that says "Status Bar Icon" it comes switched to OFF by default.. Maybe you have this ON?

In that section, you can see all the System Services that use your location and you can turn them off as you see fit.

Hope this helps!

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
But that setting only shows the icon if the location services are actively being used? I've always had that switched on with all my iPhones and never had it always on.

Michael Zajdel

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
If you are using Google Now it runs Locations services in the background. Also, the new iPhone 6 has something like Motion Calibration setting which runs all the time

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure if you have spotlight suggestions turned on, once you use it the location arrow stays on. That's what happened on my iPhone and iPad, so I turned it off.

arnoctn

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes for me ! But since 8.1.1 the problem is back ! Just horrible : 2h battery life in less.

Apple by phone don't know what is "Motion calibration" for ... They have no information about it. WTF

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
If you have a look at your location services apps under privacy you can tell which app or service it currently using location services as it had s solid purple arrow next to the name of the app or service. I found that an app had been updated and due to poor code the app was constantly using location services even though it wasn't even running! I turned it off for this particular app and that solved my issue.

arnoctn

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
In my case, and for many others, this is "Motion Calibration" in "system settings" which is everytime with the purple arrow.
The question is : why motion calibration uses location all day.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem, it was happening on both my iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

Solution: General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy

a08364b6eb4b24057164011e05adb4e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

arnoctn

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Do you try with 8.1.1 ? It doesn't work for me.

In 8.1 after hard reset and restore with iCloud I had no more the problem. But with 8.1.1 update it come back.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you try with 8.1.1 ? It doesn't work for me.

In 8.1 after hard reset and restore with iCloud I had no more the problem. But with 8.1.1 update it come back.

Yes I did it after 8.1.1.
It fixed the "motion calibration" issue for me.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think "Motion Calibration" has to do with health related activities like walking, running and etc. Some apps keep up those stats. How many steps and etc. I keep it turned off. I keep all that stuff in system services turned off, save for "cell network search", "Find My iPhone" and "wifi networking". All else is off, including "Frequent Locations".

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73