Otterbox Defender (Iphone 6) screen protector gap?

arkon2014

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Question that I've seen many places, but I've noticed with the defender that the screen protector has a good amount of spacing in between the screen and the protector itself. 300 reviews on amazon, and I am thinking probably half of them are complaints about the screen protector. I called otterbox and they said that they were aware of the issue and fixed it. He said that it was only the very first few that had that problem. Has anyone recently purchased an otterbox defender and has issues with the gap? I just ordered one in hopes that the issue was fixed, which leads me to my next question:

If the screen protector still annoys me, I am planning on removing the built in one and putting a tempered glass one in instead. I know people have done this, but anyone here have experience with that? Does it work well? Does anyone know of any cheaper tempered glass on amazon (with prime) that are good. They all have mixed reviews. Thanks!

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly you can just pop it out and use nothing. I've been doing that for all of my iPhone's I've had. Never had a scratch on my screen.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a defender for when I need some bulked up protection. I have a glass screen protector on my phone right now and was contemplating getting a defender and popping out the built in screen protector (because I either want glass or nothing). Anxious to see if anyone has done this and used a glass protector - I'm worried about the thickness/everything fitting well.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a defender for when I need some bulked up protection. I have a glass screen protector on my phone right now and was contemplating getting a defender and popping out the built in screen protector (because I either want glass or nothing). Anxious to see if anyone has done this and used a glass protector - I'm worried about the thickness/everything fitting well.

Have that setup right now, fits great no problems at all!!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Have that setup right now, fits great no problems at all!!

Nice! Have a few follow up questions for you.

Do you have any issues with the headphone jack and other port covers (I read the fit was pretty poor)? Was the built in screen protector difficult to remove? Which Glass screen protector are you using?

Thanks!!

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I am using the tempered glass screen protector from Verizon, no problems accessing any of the ports, the hard plastic shell I will admit has a little movement up and down, less side to side, but one I put the top cover on there is no movement.. They use a lot more glue to put the built in screen protector in, but I have NO problem removing it, I heat it up with a hair dryer then begin pushing it out from the top, I did 2 defenders, took 5 minutes and left zero glue residue on the case shell! Works great, wish otterbox made them like this!

iTechHead

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I am using the tempered glass screen protector from Verizon, no problems accessing any of the ports, the hard plastic shell I will admit has a little movement up and down, less side to side, but one I put the top cover on there is no movement.. They use a lot more glue to put the built in screen protector in, but I have NO problem removing it, I heat it up with a hair dryer then begin pushing it out from the top, I did 2 defenders, took 5 minutes and left zero glue residue on the case shell! Works great, wish otterbox made them like this!

Question for those that removed the built in screen protector.. By doing that does a lot of dust and debris get inside the case ?

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Question for those that removed the built in screen protector.. By doing that does a lot of dust and debris get inside the case ?

No, the glass protector sits pretty flush with the case, so I would say no more than any other case for any other phone I have owned

Terry Reilley

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered this case last week and asked the rep the same question. She told me that the problem was with the first run as well and had been corrected. I received my case yesterday and the gap is still there and is quite annoying to say the least. It REALLY slows keying down because you have to add a little more pressure.

When I called to report the issue, the CSR I spoke with said that they are aware of the problem and are working on tweaks to correct. I was told to check back in a few days to see if they have a new plastic case available, but they will not contact me directly to let me know a fix has been made. I was given the option to return the item but I need a tough case and the Lifeproof isn't available for my 6 Plus yet.

I'd really rather have the Defender and don't like to idea of removing the screen protector (which would void the warranty and as I break the holsters at least once for every Defender I own, I want to have a warranty) however this would resolve the gap problem immediately. I'm waiting before I do it to see if anyone will release a decent sapphire crystal protector for the 6 Plus and the only company that has is shipping a product that breaks easily, which negates spending $69.00 on a screen protector if it breaks as easily and people are reporting.

Sorry for the book!

berry_addict

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the Otterbox Defender, with he screen protector on. No issues here. I also have the apple leather case for the iPhone 6 and it is perfect.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
My issue wasn't with the screen protector on the Defender, but the buttons. They were nearly impossible to press. Not sure if the case didn't line up or what, but I ended up returning the case. Made the phone unusable.

Rjgjr#IM

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

How is the Verizon glass sp?? None (zag etc)that I have tried sit flush all the way around. I don't mind if it doesn't go all the way to the edge as long as it sits flush.

tmx31415

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I also experienced the gap issue as well. I removed the protector and am using a glass protector as a replacement. The issue I have is with overall fit of the phone in the case which seems to be pretty loose.

Dean V

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here where you have to press hard for it to respond and sometimes is not accurate and will not select what I was pressing. I'm ready to cut out the protector with an blade but may call Otterbox as well to see what they say. For the money this is unacceptable.

Also, can't swipe the top or bottom status bars with this case. Like the case is covering just enough that the iphone doesn't pick up the swipe.

monetblueeyes

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problematic issue and it does not appear to be fixed as of February 2015. I've bought two Defender models for iPhone 6 Plus, one from Amazon and one from a local Best Buy. Geez, I'm a longtime Otter Box user and I'm very disappointed.

monetblueeyes

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I just grabbed my razor blade knife thingy box cutter and carefully cut out the plastic screen on my otter box! I took the plunge. I left the plastic screen protector on my phone until I can order some new screen protectors.

This is a fantastic fix! Thanks to the guy above for suggesting this. I couldn't pop it out since it seemed to be attached with some kind of panda glue made in China and my little girly fingers just couldn't handle it and I didn't want to risk breaking the interior case. After cutting the plastic screen, I used a small cheap emery nail board to smooth the edges and is now all right seems right in my little Apple universe.

I understand there are tempered glass screen protectors available on eBay for less than $5 from China and about $10 from USA sellers (who probably sell the same China ones!) but I'm wary this will simply duplicate the same problem. I'm curious if anyone here has tried adding different glass? Care to comment?

Thanks for the fix guys --- you are gems!! I really love the Defender Otter Box, especially when these things just somehow drop out out my hands, out of bed, out of the car, well, you know, that's life.

Have a fantastic day...

Monet

levi96

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
By putting a glass screen protector on the phone it will not have a gap as the screen protector sticks right to the phone screen. you will be fine as long as the inner shell will snap closed with that added thickness of the glass screen protector.

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought both my wife and I Defenders for our 6+'s at launch and noticed the gap. I emailed OtterBox and they said they would replace the cases no problem. I decided to wait to give them time to fix the issue and also rid the stock of bad cases. I just ordered (warranty replacements) today. Hopefully they have fixed the issue and rolled over their stock.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2