Why am I getting a Call Failed Message on WiFi Calling (T-Mobile)?

yapkuen

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
"Call Failed" Message on WiFi Calling (T-Mobile)

Hey all,

Recent Android convert here. Have been having WiFi calling issues - namely that calls drop with a "Call Failed" message somewhere between 30 seconds and 4 minutes of the call connecting. I tried to replicate it and couldn't consistently narrow it to a smaller window than that. With WiFi calling turned off, calls don't drop as long as I'm in coverage, which is mildly problematic since I don't get good coverage at home. I was on a HTC One M7 before, which also had WiFi Calling through T-Mobile, and never had any similar issues.

Any thoughts on possible causes or fixes? I'm running iOS 8.0.2. I don't think I noticed the problem on iOS 8.0, but then again I don't believe I had to take any calls on WiFi Calling before updating.

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Call Failed" Message on WiFi Calling (T-Mobile)

For all the boasting about WiFi calling that T-mobile is doing, it sure doesn't work very reliably yet. I had the same issue for the brief time I was with T-mobile and tried using their WiFi calling. Often times my phone 5s wouldn't even call out, it was attempt the call and then fail right away. Usually if this happened, it would continue to happen throughout the day. The next day, WiFi calling would work perfectly on the same WiFi network. This leads me to believe the issue is on T-mobile's end. I tried all of the suggestions from people, opening multiple ports on the router(s), and changing sim cards. Nothing worked reliably. Except switching to Verizon and not having to use WiFI calling in the first place ;)

yapkuen

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: "Call Failed" Message on WiFi Calling (T-Mobile)

For what it's worth, this issue doesn't seem to be coming from T-Mobile's end - as I mentioned previously, WiFi calling worked flawlessly for me for over a year (on the same WiFi connection as is being problematic now) on my previous Android device. On further observation, the problem seems to be specific to the WiFi connection at my office - I was able to carry on a 20+ minute connection on my home WiFi network with no problems recently. I'm not sure if part of the problem is that the T-Mobile cellular connection in my office is just on the cusp of being good enough that the device hands off to the cellular network, so that maybe it's trying to switch between WiFi and cellular and in doing so causing problems.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods