So, it's october. When is Apple Pay coming?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It’s October EIGHTH. The next Apple event is next Thursday. Look for it then.

New iPads, Macs, OS X Yosemite, iOS 8.1 should all come out then. Pay, too.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
It's really rubbish that they didn't have this ready by the launch and also the fact they're rolling it out next year for us! This is one of the big features of the iphone 6 and to not have it available until 6+months later is really poor! It will probably be another 6 months before retailers are offering it here as well so that basically this time next year!

The thing is we've had contact less payments setup here for about 5-6 years in the coffee shops and McDonald's etc so I can't imagine it's the retailers that are causing the delay and surely the system must be in place and tested for the U.S. to launch so what is the big issue with using that same system for other countries? I can understand a staggered roll out but this isn't that!

I hate the way Apple design features that aren't supported by every country or carrier! It's like Wifi Calling, great idea but in the UK nobody is supporting this at present despite the keynote stating EE would and there's no news as to when it will be here either. Also when the original iphone launched in 2007 with visual voicemail there's only a couple of carriers in the UK that support this now and one of them only implemented it about a year ago which was a full 6 years later!!

We're please to announce the new iphone can do A B & C but nobody supports this so it won't work!!!! - Great thanks for that!

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
It's really rubbish that they didn't have this ready by the launch and also the fact they're rolling it out next year for us! This is one of the big features of the iphone 6 and to not have it available until 6+months later is really poor! It will probably be another 6 months before retailers are offering it here as well so that basically this time next year!

The thing is we've had contact less payments setup here for about 5-6 years in the coffee shops and McDonald's etc so I can't imagine it's the retailers that are causing the delay and surely the system must be in place and tested for the U.S. to launch so what is the big issue with using that same system for other countries? I can understand a staggered roll out but this isn't that!

I hate the way Apple design features that aren't supported by every country or carrier! It's like Wifi Calling, great idea but in the UK nobody is supporting this at present despite the keynote stating EE would and there's no news as to when it will be here either. Also when the original iphone launched in 2007 with visual voicemail there's only a couple of carriers in the UK that support this now and one of them only implemented it about a year ago which was a full 6 years later!!

We're please to announce the new iphone can do A B & C but nobody supports this so it won't work!!!! - Great thanks for that!

Is it Google Wallet and are you assuming Apple is using the same software? I live in the U.S. and my bank, Wells Fargo, for example, is getting everything together. I don't think it is ok to assume that you should have everything now when Apple has given everyone a date to get their systems running by. We can't just assume everything should run when we want it to; nothing is ever that simple.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
No you've misunderstood. My point is we already have contactless payment terminals in many retailers here in the UK and have done for over 6 years so it's not like these retailers need to have the system installed. Apple have already developed the software and system for Apple Pay to be implemented in the US this month and this system and code will not differ greatly from what will be used eventually in the UK.

My point also being that they announced the technology and then launched the hardware knowing that it's going to be around a year before it's available outside of the U.S. which I think is poor. It's not unreasonable to buy a device that is promoted with a particular feature and then expect to use that feature. It's like saying here's the new by the BMW i8 with auto pilot! Then in the small print saying actually auto pilot is only available in the U.S. in a month or so and the rest of the world are looking at another year!

The contactless readers hardware in retailers will not differ from what is currently there already and the whole process being implemented in the states will not differ much from the system implemented in every other country. In fact with the likes of HSBC it will be the same as their regional systems are mirrored.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Is it Google Wallet and are you assuming Apple is using the same software? I live in the U.S. and my bank, Wells Fargo, for example, is getting everything together. I don't think it is ok to assume that you should have everything now when Apple has given everyone a date to get their systems running by. We can't just assume everything should run when we want it to; nothing is ever that simple.

Sorry I can't stop laughing that you think I thought Apple was intending to use the same "software" as Google Wallet!

My point is it's not that I'm demanding things now it's that I cannot accept that there is s genuine reason why Apple Pay is going live in the US this month and other countries next year! I can only assume it's either a staggered roll out for the benefit of a new system or that because Apple are an American company there is more legalities and changes to be made to contracts implementing the system with international banks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I can't stop laughing that you think I thought Apple was intending to use the same "software" as Google Wallet!

My point is it's not that I'm demanding things now it's that I cannot accept that there is s genuine reason why Apple Pay is going live in the US this month and other countries next year! I can only assume it's either a staggered roll out for the benefit of a new system or that because Apple are an American company there is more legalities and changes to be made to contracts implementing the system with international banks.

Europe implements limitations on contact-less payments...the U.S. does not. Apple is rolling out the technology in the arena where the least amount of limitations is prevalent. Like water, technology is going to follow the path of least resistance, and gradually spread to other areas at a slower pace until, like the U.S., limitations are lifted (which is expected to be in 2015).

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Europe implements limitations on contact-less payments...the U.S. does not. Apple is rolling out the technology in the arena where the least amount of limitations is prevalent. Like water, technology is going to follow the path of least resistance, and gradually spread to other areas at a slower pace until, like the U.S., limitations are lifted (which is expected to be in 2015).

Agreed, it's just very annoying advertising such a huge feature of the phone that then isn't going to be available until 6-12 months after purchase. I have no doubt that the delays here in the UK are related to contracts and legislation I just wish they would have started the ball rolling on this sooner so perhaps we could have a comparable launch date to the U.S. but then there's perhaps the more annoying issue of the latest apple products not launching in every country for similar contract reasons. That would perhaps annoy me more if I had to wait months for the latest model to launch in my country so I sympathise with those who are affected by this.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, it's just very annoying advertising such a huge feature of the phone that then isn't going to be available until 6-12 months after purchase. I have no doubt that the delays here in the UK are related to contracts and legislation I just wish they would have started the ball rolling on this sooner so perhaps we could have a comparable launch date to the U.S. but then there's perhaps the more annoying issue of the latest apple products not launching in every country for similar contract reasons. That would perhaps annoy me more if I had to wait months for the latest model to launch in my country so I sympathise with those who are affected by this.

Apple is a U. S. company. They roll new features out in the U. S. first, and then across the world. I get that it’s frustrating for non-Americans who want the features, but it’s the way they’ve always done business. Why would they change something that is working so well?

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple is a U. S. company. They roll new features out in the U. S. first, and then across the world. I get that it?s frustrating for non-Americans who want the features, but it?s the way they?ve always done business. Why would they change something that is working so well?

To stop frustrating non-Americans?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It really isn't a negotiation or contract thing...the governing body that controls electronic payments in European countries have an outdated limitation on contact-less payments that was, at one time, part of a system to prevent fraud on a large scale. Now that the tech itself has a lot of security levels built into it (especially Apple Pay), these overshadowing regulations can be pulled back. The U.S. did it a few years ago when NFC began to get some traction...the UK (which is the primary Euro NFC market) has been dragging their feet from what I've read. So if there is blame to be set, it would be at the governing body for taking their sweet *** time to coincide with the demand.

iwoodland

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
We have NFC all over in the UK now and it's great to use. The limitation though is that you can only use NFC to the value of ?20 ($32) in any one purchase. I'm assuming that apple pay will allow for much more than that when it gets here? If not, then it is of no use. I'm assuming there won't be such a limitation though.

Any comments?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR