iPhone 6 charging rate

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any slowness in the charging rate of their iPhone 6 at all?

Got mine this morning and battery went down quite quickly - obviously it had been restoring and I'd been playing with it etc. Now I't plugged in to my computer to charge (as I'd always do with my 5S), but seems to be charging REALLY slowly! The 5S would complete a full charge within an hour or so, but so far this 6 is going up at about 1% every 10-15 minutes.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Mine seems to be pretty quick in charging. Obviously it's a bit slower than my 5s but that I attribute to the larger battery in the 6.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
@Steve, I listen to the Today in IOS podcast and heard that the iPhone 6 will charge at a full 2 amps. So if you have an iPad charger laying around,give it a try and see if it charges faster for you. The previous iPhones would charge with a 2 amp charger but would limit the the amperage internally to 1 amp.

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
@Steve, I listen to the Today in IOS podcast and heard that the iPhone 6 will charge at a full 2 amps. So if you have an iPad charger laying around,give it a try and see if it charges faster for you. The previous iPhones would charge with a 2 amp charger but would limit the the amperage internally to 1 amp.

This isn't running off of a charger - just a Lightning cable direct from my work laptop. Gonna give it until after the weekend and see if it's just a calibration type issue.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
This isn't running off of a charger - just a Lightning cable direct from my work laptop. Gonna give it until after the weekend and see if it's just a calibration type issue.

Possibly a problem with the laptops ports?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I use my ipad charger when at home. The 6 can make use of the higher charger output (2 amps) instead of the 1 amp iphone charger. Charges MUCH quicker with the ipad charger.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Most laptop USB ports aren't fully powered and it's probably only supplying 500 milliamps of current instead of 1amp that the wall charger supplies. The larger battery of the iPhone 6 needs 1amp. My Moto X barely charges off my laptop ports and my iPhone 5 charges just fine. The battery on the Moto X is even larger than that of the iPhone 6.

mistabritt

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
They charge faster if/when you use an iPad charger if you have one. This is what I use on a daily basis. My iPhone 5c and iPhone 6 chargers are still in their boxes.

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the charger used. Some computers aren't outputting enough current through their USB ports and will result in an extremely slow charging rate. The computers at our library charge so slowly that my phone's battery percentage actually goes down while plugged in and idle!

Ideally you should try using the mains charger supplied with the phone, however an iPad charger will output a higher current, which will recharge your phone much faster.