The Slim Case Thread

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to add another vote for the Apple leather case. It's extremely slim and basically adds no bulk. I got the black case with the space gray phone. To me when the leather case is on it looks a lot nicer than with no case.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Another vote for the Apple case but I have the silicon type. I run about 40 miles a week with my phone in an armband so my case absorbing sweat is a concern. The silicon case works perfect for by purpose but I do like the look of the leather cases.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
1. Not adding significant bulk (but doesn't have to be the thinnest)
2. Exposed/easy access to buttons/ports
3. No clear, hard plastic cases (had this with the 3g, lots of dust got in)

Spigen [0.4mm Thin] [Air Skin]

Any opinions/reviews/pictures/other considerations on these or other slim cases would be appreciated!

I have the Air Skin or super thin Spigen, and Incipio NGP.

The Air Skin is not going to do anything but protect corners from scuffs but it's super thin. Keep in mind the camera protrudes so these super thin cases will not protect the metal bezel around the camera.

No experience with the Elago Slim 2 for iPhone 6 in your list, but the one I had for black iPhone 5 scratched the corners over time.

The Incipio NGP covers the bottom, is not as refined as Apple's case but again, protects the whole phone and at about 1/2 the price.

My opinions are fairly strong on these because I see lots of damaged phones as an IT administrator.

Watch for Belkin to ship the Grip models. Their iPhone 5 Grip series is a favorite for thin, decent feel and actually protecting the phone. I believe that one's supposed to ship in Oct.

I'll go between the super thin and ones like the Incipio NGP model but rely on more coverage because my life style is active and puts the phones at risk.

mpshah

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm really happy with Apple Leather case on the 6. It's very grippy and hardly adds any bulk to the phone.

IMG_8064.JPGIMG_8065.JPGIMG_8066.JPG

Young Money

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Try out the apple leather case, I've always ran without a case but this one is thin enough and comfortable enough to hold that it just feels like a part of the phone as opposed to a phone with a case on it

David Erato

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I have the Air Skin or super thin Spigen, and Incipio NGP.

The Air Skin is not going to do anything but protect corners from scuffs but it's super thin. Keep in mind the camera protrudes so these super thin cases will not protect the metal bezel around the camera.

No experience with the Elago Slim 2 for iPhone 6 in your list, but the one I had for black iPhone 5 scratched the corners over time.

The Incipio NGP covers the bottom, is not as refined as Apple's case but again, protects the whole phone and at about 1/2 the price.

My opinions are fairly strong on these because I see lots of damaged phones as an IT administrator.

Watch for Belkin to ship the Grip models. Their iPhone 5 Grip series is a favorite for thin, decent feel and actually protecting the phone. I believe that one's supposed to ship in Oct.

I'll go between the super thin and ones like the Incipio NGP model but rely on more coverage because my life style is active and puts the phones at risk.

For the Elago, the phone corners scratched or the case?

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
For the Elago, the phone corners scratched or the case?

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

One of a very thin but hard plastic Elago or Switch Easy did that to the black anodized corners of my iPhone 5. You should be able to tell fast if you have a good or poor fit. Even soft cases will scratch if dirt is between case and phone. None are really perfect. My experience with the Apple brand on last phone was a good fit but not so good protection. Add expensive and not at all rugged.

FWIW: That Rock case posted prior looks like a decent compromise between the super slim Spigen and more protective Incipio I got. From what I see an eBay is probably the safest purchase for that one.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am also a fan of the Apple leather case. As you can imagine, it is a perfect fit to the phone as Apple designed it specifically with the design of its own phone in mind. In my opinion, nothing matches the feel of the leather case. It is super thin, adding very little to the overall size.

Two things.
One, it is not going to protect your phone from every fall. It is very thin and it is open at the bottom. It will however protect from scratching and everyday use. It lips just enough of the front to allow you to place your phone screen-down. I have Applecare, so no worries. I would personally MUCH rather maintain the beautiful design and feel of the phone vs hiding it in a bulky case.
Two, be wise in the color you choose. Assuming these will follow suit of the 5S version, the leather will change in color. It will age, absorb oils, dirt etc. Search "Apple Leather Case" in the accessories forum and you'll see countless pics of what happened to the red, yellow, etc. I think the red on the black phone looks amazing. But the red won't keep that look over time.

Young Money

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am also a fan of the Apple leather case. As you can imagine, it is a perfect fit to the phone as Apple designed it specifically with the design of its own phone in mind. In my opinion, nothing matches the feel of the leather case. It is super thin, adding very little to the overall size.

Two things.
One, it is not going to protect your phone from every fall. It is very thin and it is open at the bottom. It will however protect from scratching and everyday use. It lips just enough of the front to allow you to place your phone screen-down. I have Applecare, so no worries. I would personally MUCH rather maintain the beautiful design and feel of the phone vs hiding it in a bulky case.
Two, be wise in the color you choose. Assuming these will follow suit of the 5S version, the leather will change in color. It will age, absorb oils, dirt etc. Search "Apple Leather Case" in the accessories forum and you'll see countless pics of what happened to the red, yellow, etc. I think the red on the black phone looks amazing. But the red won't keep that look over time.

Damn! And I got a red one!

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Slimmest ever, though not a case, technically. Just ordered my brown leather SlickWrap! I've had these on my previous phones and love them!

I'm typically pretty careful with my phones in regards to drops. I love these wraps because they protect against scratches and scuffs, add almost zero thickness/weight, and look amazing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411873858.294130.jpg

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
this thread is very useful. no way am i going to put a hideous Otterbox, or anything like it, on such a beautiful thing

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods