iPhone 6 And 6 plus warping the while in pocket

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
But, Sean, are you 400+ pounds and wearing a size 28 waist pants??????

giphy.gif

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
How many actual cases of an iP 6 Plus Bending from normal usage can you name? Not those set up videos.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Yeah there was a lot of force in that one video. His hands started shaking from the effort.

Doesn't stop the people at other sites like Crackberry latching onto it and squawking BACAW BENT IPHONE BACAW like it's the answer to everything. I swear it's been brought up in every thread over there today. You'd think they'd be more interested in the new BB that launched today, but nope. They talk iPhone more than iMore and 'bend gate' is their new catchphrase.

Juliet0915

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think it's insane that people are putting their unprotected iPhones into front or back pockets (especially with how big the new ones are) and then complaining about slight bends. While some consumers may *only* pay $200/300 for the cheapest device, it's a $800+ electronic device and you're just SITTING ON IT? I wouldn't throw my laptop into a suitcase without it being in a well-padded case, why would you take less care of your phone?

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Come on people, if you put it in your pocket and sit on it, it's GONNA bend. It's going to follow the contours of your ****. Put in a case or your shirt pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This whole thing is amazing. Here's how to do it: put a large, thin aluminum rectangle in the back pocket of your jeans and sit on it for 6-10 hours per day (where it sits between a large rounded body part and a hard flat surface). Now be stupefied that it bent. SMH.

Yet not everyone had it in their back pockets. Believe it or not, some had it in their front pocket, you know where people have been putting phones for years. Now if it was samsung this happened to everyone would say how bad of a product they made, but since it's apple they get a pass...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Again show me someone bending a phone in their front pocket.

I know it's on the Internet and must be true but I saw the video and can't understand someone doing this in their front pocket.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Yet not everyone had it in their back pockets. Believe it or not, some had it in their front pocket, you know where people have been putting phones for years. Now if it was samsung this happened to everyone would say how bad of a product they made, but since it's apple they get a pass...

Nobody is getting a pass. These are a few isolated instances of people managing to bend their phones. One video even showed a guy bend his iPhone 6 Plus, but he was using so much force to do so that he was shaking and straining. Meh. Apple gets a "pass" because it’s a non-issue, as far as I am concerned.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Nobody is getting a pass. These are a few isolated instances of people managing to bend their phones. One video even showed a guy bend his iPhone 6 Plus, but he was using so much force to do so that he was shaking and straining. Meh. Apple gets a "pass" because it’s a non-issue, as far as I am concerned.

If it's a "non-issue" then why is apple going to issue replacements... and no it's not because they realize it is a flaw, they just want the bad PR to go away. It is an issue, whether you want to believe it or not. And yes the video of the guy putting a ton of force on it should not be the standard, but still shouldn't be bending in peoples pockets.
iPhone 6 Plus Bendgate: free replacements and warranty details | BGR

Sammuel1973

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
If it's a "non-issue" then why is apple going to issue replacements... and no it's not because they realize it is a flaw, they just want the bad PR to go away. It is an issue, whether you want to believe it or not. And yes the video of the guy putting a ton of force on it should not be the standard, but still shouldn't be bending in peoples pockets.
iPhone 6 Plus Bendgate: free replacements and warranty details | BGR
I agree. I am one of those Samsung consumers ready to buy the new Apple IPhone 6 or 6+, simply because they look exquisite, stylish...especially love how the display screen just wraps around the edge and bezel area. However, I may now need to also consider the Samsung Note 4. I have had the Note 2 and 3, none of them warp or bend despite their lesser build quality. Apple always prides itself with premium materials, but what good are their products if they're not durable? It is silly to have consumers change their way of clothing, hold or place their phones a certain way, or insinuate some to lose weight all to use their phones. Cases are purchased to prevent scratches, dents, etc but now to prevent bents too? Glad to hear Apple will do a free replacement, a wise choice before a possible recall is needed. IMO, very admirable if the replacement process is hassle-free. Better to admit fault than to brush it off.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I've seen some tweets from others now who have slightly bent or warped iphones. Thing is, were they this way out of the box? Or did it happen gradually from pocket use? People tend to look really hard for defects when informed about them.

Regardless of what you think about it, and even I was poking fun at it, it's a real problem for Apple. All I can do as a consumer is swap it out if I notice a problem later. If I can't put it in front pocket, then it stops being a phone and starts being an ipad.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Better to admit fault than to brush it off.

Apple, many times, will replace a device they sell even if it is clear that the consumer was negligent and the damage was incurred because of such. Truly, I don't think Apple replacing these devices is an admission of fault, but Apple's continued pursuit of top notch customer satisfaction. Replacing even a hundred thousand devices because of this wouldn't even begin to put a dent in Apple's profit off the device...but just ignoring such a niche little problem could affect their customer satisfaction rating, something which they have worked hard to keep at the top of the food chain (in terms of smart phone manufacturers).