Going back to the iphone 5S

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well everyone, talk about an ordeal. I've been having a heck of a time restoring to a previous backup. I tried restoring from an iCloud backup but it was not working right (apps would freeze up, not download, etc). I tried restoring from an iTunes backup (again apps would quit downloading after every 5 or 6, other issues, etc).

Finally, I just said heck with it and restored as a new device. I then downloaded all of my apps, started from scratch, and loaded all of my pics and videos in. Logged into iCloud and was able to get most things updated (contacts, notes, etc) but lost other things like settings tweeks, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

So far, I am not having any issues with my phone. It very well could have been purely software related on this third time around. I never felt like I was getting a solid setup before so perhaps starting fresh was the fix. And hey, its not a total loss having to set up everything again. It is kind of fun to be honest. Like a brand new experience. Only ONE awful thing left out of all of this......

It has me thinking just a tinnnnnnnnnny bit about the 6+ again lol

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:(Sorry to hear you were having such issues Finn but glad to hear you decided to hang in & do a set up as new and things look brighter for you:) hopefully it'll be smooth sailing with your 6 from here on out now !! Good luck🍀

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yeah. I'm glad I didn't take the plus back which was a strong first instinct. You definitely need to take your time and get used to it. It's a keeper now.

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Glad you ironed it out. I'm loving my 6!

Stick with the 6. It's 4.7" screen is the perfect sweet spot for use as a daily driver in my opinion. Portability, pocket ability and one handed use for the win!

DMBAdict04

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Finally, I just said heck with it and restored as a new device.

As I read through this thread, I began to think that you needed a fresh restore.

Anytime I've switched from one OS to another (or switched from one device to another), I've always tried to start from scratch. With cloud storage as solid as it is these days, it's not difficult to recover contacts, photos, etc.

I find it refreshing to start from scratch. It allows you to reconsider what you're putting on your phone. Sometimes apps can get a bit out of hand. I'm not a big fan of app overload.

Anyhow, glad to hear things are back to normal.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
OP Perhaps you have a corrupted backup. Ever try setting the phone up as new and see if you have the same issues?

That ended up being my last resort and to this point, all is well. Looks like it very well could be related to the backups I was trying. So far so good and an excellent suggestion.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Glad it worked! In years past I have had strange quirks when restoring backups of previous gen devices to the new devices. Hope you stay with your 6. It is a fantastic device.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
As I read through this thread, I began to think that you needed a fresh restore.

Anytime I've switched from one OS to another (or switched from one device to another), I've always tried to start from scratch. With cloud storage as solid as it is these days, it's not difficult to recover contacts, photos, etc.

I find it refreshing to start from scratch. It allows you to reconsider what you're putting on your phone. Sometimes apps can get a bit out of hand. I'm not a big fan of app overload.

Anyhow, glad to hear things are back to normal.

Is there anyway to retrieve/save your shared photos... the ones shared through iCloud? If so, how?

DMBAdict04

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Is there anyway to retrieve/save your shared photos... the ones shared through iCloud? If so, how?

I would imagine that if you log back into iCloud and turn photo syncing on, they would be available again? I'm no expert

I use Dropbox for my photo backups.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine that if you log back into iCloud and turn photo syncing on, they would be available again? I'm no expert

I am concerned with the shared ones. I've created multiple albums strictly to share with the family. I'm concerned they'd be gone. I guess I'll let them know to save what they need to save because they'll be gone once I restore.

I use Dropbox for my photo backups.

DMBAdict04

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I am concerned with the shared ones. I've created multiple albums strictly to share with the family. I'm concerned they'd be gone. I guess I'll let them know to save what they need to save because they'll be gone once I restore.

I'm not sure about the shared photo streams. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Can anyone help bgl321 out?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Stick with the 6 bro - don't be lured by the specs of the Plus... and I hear the Plus is more bendy ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox