Is Apple Care + worth it?

weblou

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys
Just got my iP6 :). It's so thin and nice that i really don't feel like putting a case on it. Im thinking of just getting Apple Care +.. Does anyone have experience with this? Let's say i drop the phone and crack the screen OR water damage the phone.. would they replace it for $79?

Thanks

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Damn Square trade is US only and I'm located in Canada. But thanks for the link .. very informative

An ok. Apple care is good though. Especially now that it covers accidents and stuff. That wasn't always the case. If square trade wasn't an option for me, Apple care definitely would be what I'd buy.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
This is an incredibly subjective issue. Your iPhone comes with the basic AppleCare coverage - a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects. The warranty includes 90 days of phone support (call Apple for assistance with issues/questions).

The AppleCare+ (PLUS) coverage extends the coverage (including the telephone support) for a full 2 years, and also covers accidental damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $99. The catch is that typically, an "in warranty" replacement due to physical damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $269. The AppleCare+ will allow you to replace your device TWICE in the coverage period for $79 per incident.

AppleCare+ is typically purchased at the same time that the device is purchased, however Apple will allow you to buy it within the first 30 days. If you do buy it after the fact, they may require a physical inspection of your device before activating the coverage and/or may require you to activate a remote diagnostic report on the phone as well.

Neither plan covers loss/theft of your device.

So the question becomes one of "how clumsy are you?" If you tend to be accident prone and drop your phone a lot, it may be a good investment for you. It means that for $260 ($99 + $79 + $79), you can replace your phone twice for about the standard charge of replacing your phone once. If you buy it and never use it, then you have wasted the $99 price of the coverage...

Bottom line: Some buy it, some don?t. How accident prone are you?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This is an incredibly subjective issue. Your iPhone comes with the basic AppleCare coverage - a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects. The warranty includes 90 days of phone support (call Apple for assistance with issues/questions).

The AppleCare+ (PLUS) coverage extends the coverage (including the telephone support) for a full 2 years, and also covers accidental damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $99. The catch is that typically, an "in warranty" replacement due to physical damage (breakage, water damage, etc) for $269. The AppleCare+ will allow you to replace your device TWICE in the coverage period for $79 per incident.

AppleCare+ is typically purchased at the same time that the device is purchased, however Apple will allow you to buy it within the first 30 days. If you do buy it after the fact, they may require a physical inspection of your device before activating the coverage and/or may require you to activate a remote diagnostic report on the phone as well.

Neither plan covers loss/theft of your device.

So the question becomes one of "how clumsy are you?" If you tend to be accident prone and drop your phone a lot, it may be a good investment for you. It means that for $260 ($99 + $79 + $79), you can replace your phone twice for about the standard charge of replacing your phone once. If you buy it and never use it, then you have wasted the $99 price of the coverage...

Bottom line: Some buy it, some don?t. How accident prone are you?

Yup. That's why I just pay $5/month square trade. Don't have to come out the pocket for the entire cost now. I can't In good conscience pay $100 upfront with too much uncertainty lol. Good summary ;)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Another advantage of AC+ is the ability to get a prorated refund at any time for the unused portion of the coverage. It's also important to know that the coverage is on the device - meaning that if you sell the device and don't cancel the coverage, the buyer gets the benefit of the coverage (perhaps a selling point?). You cannot transfer the coverage to another device, except in the case of a warranty replacement. In that case, the replacement device assumes the remainder of the original AC+ coverage (2 years from purchase date of the original device).

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
i ALWAYS get Applecare+ AND Carrier Insurance. I've needed both for theft and for issues with the phones.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've replaced my 5 twice, and my 5s never.

I'd say it was worth it for me.

Others are less accident-prone, and for them it's a bad bet. On the other hand, it does provide some peace of mind.

weblou

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies guys. I'll hope in an Apple store after work and get that done.. I'll have a look at the case also while I'm there.

Hank great break down.. I'm not that Accident prone BUT i have crack a screen once or twice before. With the 5S i had a case on it.. but the 6.. i want to keep it naked :)
Considering the case is 45.99 i believe (Apple case).. for a little more i get AC+... And have peace of mind if i do drop it

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
HankAZ......I purchased the iPhone 6+ today,but won't arrive until late Oct or early Nov. Do you think I can still purchase Applecare+ then? I hope so. Thanks in advance for your response......or anyone else who knows.......:)

candy jar

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know what it would cost to pay for repair of a cracked screen? If I knew that, I could determine if Applecare was worth it for me, because that is the thing that would most likely happen to me (and it did once, but I upgraded the phone instead of repairing it). There are companies other than Apple that will fix the screen, but I am not sure what they charge or how long it takes to fix.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If you don't have AppleCare+, apple will usually replace the phone for $269, I think. It may be a refurb replacement. So if you use both damage replacements for $79, plus the cost of the AppleCare+ of $99 it comes out to almost the same cost. Warranty replacements don't count against the two damage replacements.

Karen is spot on. The cost of an in-warranty non-covered repair is $269 (for the iPhone 5S, and assuming that is hasn't changed for the new models). The cost of AC+ and TWO replacements is $257 ($99 + $79 $79).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I never buy AppleCare+. I gamble nothing bad will happen. So far it has not. So I have saved $297. So far by not buying AppleCare+. I use an Otterbox Defender and don't take my phone close to water. I'm very careful. But some people should get AppleCare+.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Mr_Freeze72

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So if we buy Apple care and the phone breaks at some point. Could we pay a little extra and get a different storage size or color replacement?

weblou

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I added AC+ a few hours ago. I won't be putting a case on this phone. It's just to nice to cover. Maybe a glass screen protector to avoid small annoying scratches. It's good to know that for $79 I could walkin the Apple Store hand them my broken/damaged device and walkout with a new one.