Ok. Educate an old broad, here, please

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
So I will be picking up my new phone on Friday. I understand that the Apple store will be a zoo and that the line will be miles long. My Apple store is in a mall.
Do malls usually open earlier than the customary 10 am to allow for "Apple day"? How do people occupy their time while waiting, do you bribe a friend to come with you, do you bring a book, lol...
I've never done this before, I'm wondering how much time this will take.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So I will be picking up my new phone on Friday. I understand that the Apple store will be a zoo and that the line will be miles long. My Apple store is in a mall.
Do malls usually open earlier than the customary 10 am to allow for "Apple day"? How do people occupy their time while waiting, do you bribe a friend to come with you, do you bring a book, lol...

Typically the mall stores open at 10 am, but the mall itself (the general/public areas) are open much earlier. In our area, the mall doors are open at 6:00 am. A lot of "old broads" (your words) use the open mall for their walking track. :)

Not sure if the mall doors will open earlier, but the Apple stores will open at 8:00 am.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Typically the mall stores open at 10 am, but the mall itself (the general/public areas) are open much earlier. In our area, the mall doors are open at 6:00 am. A lot of "old broads" (your words) use the open mall for their walking track. :)

Not sure if the mall doors will open earlier, but the Apple stores will open at 8:00 am.

Ok. So... How early do you think people will start lining up at the Apple store itself?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok. So... How early do you think people will start lining up at the Apple store itself?

Good question. I’ve heard of cues starting at or before midnight.

If you’re looking to walk in and purchase a phone, get there early. If you’ve pre-ordered and are just picking it up, you won’t need to get there that early.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Good question. I’ve heard of cues starting at or before midnight.

If you’re looking to walk in and purchase a phone, get there early. If you’ve pre-ordered and are just picking it up, you won’t need to get there that early.

I preordered last night, for Friday pick up.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you pre-ordered for Friday pick up, you don't have to worry about the lines.

If you just feel the need to wait in line though, lines usually start the night before or in the wee hours of the morning (some bigger metro areas may already have lines, like one of our local Apple stores which has over 25 people waiting already in Atlanta).

In the past, I've waited in a line that was not let in until 10am on the dot, and others where we were allowed inside and even given ChikFilA biscuits for breakfast for free (which was awesome). Guess it just depends on where you're lining up.

techiechick

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Hey Guppy!
Not sure where you're at, but here in Sunny Ft. Lauderdale the line starts the night before! But it's cool - I actually enjoy it. You get to chat with others, meet new people with your similar interests - it's nice!
At the last launch, the apple folks actually brought us coffee & doughnuts around 5am!!

TechieChick

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey Guppy!
Not sure where you're at, but here in Sunny Ft. Lauderdale the line starts the night before! But it's cool - I actually enjoy it. You get to chat with others, meet new people with your similar interests - it's nice!
At the last launch, the apple folks actually brought us coffee & doughnuts around 5am!!

TechieChick

Sounds awesome! I live in Apple land, California bay area, minutes away from Cupertino, so you can imagine, on release day, it's a big deal, here. I think I'll get out there at the crack of dawn, armed and dangerous with coffee, food, music and my fully charged iPad, and soak it all in. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro