Nerfed NFC. WTF, Apple?

tgp

Trusted Member
Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I know Apple has everyone by the balls but I'm surprised carriers didn't throw a big fit about this. I mean they're all supporting that Isis mobile wallet so it seems like they'd be annoyed with Apple restricting people to their own payment method.

I wouldn't be surprised if ISIS (now Softcard) goes away. Google worked around it a year ago with KitKat, and now Apple has done the same thing. WP hasn't yet, but ISIS is not yet enabled on WP either. This basically means that only WP users would have to use Softcard, and even if it was functional on WP, the market share is so small that it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Throughout my years of phone hopping, I have come to realize this:
Apple does indeed roll out features later than the competitors, and oftentimes in limited fashion, that is true.
But when they do, it's been tested and retested, tweaked, fixed, tested again, and by the time it shows up in the customer's grubby fingers, it works... like butter.
I guess it's a quality over quantity thing.

Do I like the multi bells and whistles from Androids? Hell yeah. ... Until they start hiccuping and sputtering and acting like a bipolar jumping bean on crack, that is.

So, I'll bite smaller, chew longer... And not choke. :D

Yeah this is it in a nutshell. Well put.

I have an Android phone and an iPhone and I like them for totally different reasons.

The Android phone is eminently customisable. I can tweak this and tweak that and make it look just like I want it. If I want info on my data plan or detailed battery life to be displayed on my homescreen, I can. Lovely. The issue is that performance suffers, reliability suffers and stability suffers, as I have experienced time and time again across multiple Android phones. Sometimes adding just one app from the Google Play Store (I never sideload) results in a chorus of random beeps and dings every now and again, necessitating downloading of another app to figure out which one is the problem. It's less secure than iOS and even some apps on the PLay Store that say they are for my phone, just refuse to work at all. Thank god for the ability to get my money back within a short window.

My iPhone just works. Time and time again, it just works. If I want a phone to do something, I reach for my iPhone as I know I can rely on it 100% of the time. It has never failed me. It has never cost me over $2000 worth of work (like my Note 3 did by turning itself off without warning whilst I was expecting a very important call). It never falls over, glitches or behaves erratically. ITunes doesn't have the window to return an app and get a refund but then again if an app says it is going to work on my iPhone, you know what? It does! Shock, horror!

I realise that others have experienced things differently across both platforms and i'm glad that there exists enough different platforms for everyone to do exactly that but at the end of the day, when I look at a device to use, my previous experience with a brand/OS is the ONLY thing that matters to me. I've had a very bad experience with Samsung and so I will never use a Samsung phone ever again. I have had a great experience with Apple so I will continue to use an Apple device as long as that experience remains stellar. I know others have had a bad experience with Apple and I feel sorry for them, the same as I would feel sorry for anyone that has parted with any of their money for anything and not had a stellar experience but it is utterly, utterly irrelevant to me as a consumer what someone else has experienced, if my experiences have been totally different.

If you asked me to pick a phone ecosystem to use for the rest of my life based on my current experiences, I would unquestionably, unhesitatingly choose Apple. Call me an iSheep, I don't care. What I am doing is using a platform that I know I can rely on. If paying more for that gives me peace of mind to rely on my hardware then GREAT! I made the right decision, after all!

I try not to disparage anyone for choosing any ecosystem, regardless of whether it is Blackberry, Android, WebOS, Windows Phone or any other but I will mock others when they try to portray what is merely their opinion as fact!

TL : DR - Use whatever OS you want as long as it does what you need and is reliable and remember it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, all that matters is your personal experience with it.

eh-up

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
How did Passbook bomb? I use it all the time.

Starbucks, Hotel bookings, Boarding Cards for flights.

Individual functions of device don't need to be useful to every person that owns one.

If you live in the Apple eco system, or just like iPhones, then why would you look around? People who don't spend hours delving into all the specs and functions of each individual phone are mindless drones, they just know that what they are buying does a pretty good job and it's a tool to use.

Of course, if I wanted an android device that beats the iPhone I'd probably need 4 devices anyway. 1 for speed, 1 for camera, another for the screen and 4th for some other 'advantage'

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Making wild assumption about someone's preference isn't going to get you anywhere either.

While I did use your comments, I didn't make any assumption, wild or other wise. I responded to another poster who used the phrase "preference for another platform"

Moral of the story. Do not come to iMore with an obvious preference for another platform.

gravage

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
While I did use your comments, I didn't make any assumption, wild or other wise. I responded to another poster who used the phrase "preference for another platform"

Ah, my mistake, bro. I misunderstood.

I have owned every iPhone (and iPad) model (other than the 5c) since the original release, so I'm definitely not an Android fanboy. I like all of the platforms for totally different reasons.

It just seems than whenever you raise a question/issue about a decision Apple makes, you're automatically an "Apple hater" or a "Fandroid".

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I received an email from my bank today saying that they will be supporting a Apple Pay. It has been on their website since the announcement but to see the email is exciting; which means they're well prepared.

d4fcda9f558bbee8015bd84d10732212.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal