Getting your $40 activation fee waived.

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Just live chatted with an AT&T agent and got my $40 activation fee waived.

Just be polite and mention how you've been a loyal customer for years and you feel as though you are being penalized. I also mentioned that there's practically no effort on their part to allow me to upgrade my phone and that I've spent a lot of $ over the years as an AT&T customer...yada yada yada. Good luck!

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
haha...C'mon I've been with AT$T over 10 years now...the least they could do is waive a measly $40 activation fee. :)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have never paid an activation fee with AT&T > Cingular > at&t. I have over 12 years as a loyal customer with as many as 5 lines. Never paid a single dime of an activation fee. My FAN waives them.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Why would you have to pay a fee? All you do is pop in a SIM.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:

candy jar

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
The $30 verizon fee really ticked me off. What does it cover? I upgraded two iphones so expected to pay $60. I have been a verizon customer for a billion years--it almost made me cancel the order entirely, but then decided I would get the phone, make sure I am happy with the size and then call them and beg for mercy.

Pete Sake

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Its just another way for the Carrier(s) to rake in money from the people. When you call your carrier they don't physically Activate or Program your phone, its done through the network the same way that if you download a song its still just a click of a button.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Just live chatted with an AT&T agent and got my $40 activation fee waived.

Just be polite and mention how you've been a loyal customer for years and you feel as though you are being penalized. I also mentioned that there's practically no effort on their part to allow me to upgrade my phone and that I've spent a lot of $ over the years as an AT&T customer...yada yada yada. Good luck!

Did everything you suggested and it worked. ATT is going to waive my upgrade this time. I also did the request via a live chat with a sale rep.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Jets69

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Did everything you suggested and it worked. ATT is going to waive my upgrade this time. I also did the request via a live chat with a sale rep.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Glad to see you got it waived!

I just don't understand how AT$T and other companies have no problem waiving the fee for some customers but for others they won't budge at all. The fee should not even be there when it seems they can waive it for some and not others. Either set the fee in stone and don't allow it to be waived or don't include it! Just seems silly to me and appears to just be another way to nickel and dime customers. :(

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
One time when I was canceling a line I didn't need anymore a rep in retentions offered to waive the subsidy cost of a phone up to $100 if I kept it. That was a good 5+ years ago now but it seems like some of them have the ability to give bill credits and waive costs and things more than other reps do.

I think the $30-40 activation fee is crap too. I'll see if I can get my carrier to waive it due to the long wait times for the 6+ delivery.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I just got off the phone with AT&T and they wouldn't budge at all on waiving my fee. The woman I spoke with literally said "AT&T would go out of business if we didn't charge these activation fees". I just about laughed out loud. Oh wait, I DID laugh out loud.

I made the point that I've been a loyal AT&T customer since the original iPhone, and they have waived my fees in the past. I also stated that I'm a CA$H paying customer, so they make more off of me than they do others. I also mentioned that I also use a small fraction of my monthly "unlimited" data compared to most users, and they agreed with me on every bit. But in the end, they stated "policy" that they can no longer waive fees. That after being told by an in-store rep that I could probably get it waived.

I guess I'm out my $40 bucks.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone with AT&T and they wouldn't budge at all on waiving my fee. The woman I spoke with literally said "AT&T would go out of business if we didn't charge these activation fees". I just about laughed out loud. Oh wait, I DID laugh out loud.

I made the point that I've been a loyal AT&T customer since the original iPhone, and they have waived my fees in the past. I also stated that I'm a CA$H paying customer, so they make more off of me than they do others. I also mentioned that I also use a small fraction of my monthly "unlimited" data compared to most users, and they agreed with me on every bit. But in the end, they stated "policy" that they can no longer waive fees. That after being told by an in-store rep that I could probably get it waived.

Maybe you just got the wrong rep. You can always hang up, then call back and get a different rep who may be more willing!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I just had my fee waived yesterday. No muss, no fuss.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I got my two activation fees waived two years ago, I'll give it a try tomorrow, I wonder if we should call the regular customer service line or get to the retention dept..

rgm1266

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone with VZW and explained to them that I'm a loyal customer, been with them for several years, my acct has always been in good standing, and etc. The CSR @ VZW checked and waived the fee for me. It all depends on the CSR you get and the mood they are in.

Thanks VZW!!!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with VZW and explained to them that I'm a loyal customer, been with them for several years, my acct has always been in good standing, and etc. The CSR @ VZW checked and waived the fee for me. It all depends on the CSR you get and the mood they are in.

Thanks VZW!!!

What you say is partially true. In my case, it’s a contractual obligation on AT&T's part. My FAN (Foundation Account Number - the corporate sponsorship program) requires them to waive those fees. Of course, the CSR and their mood/attitude can make that process easier or more difficult, but, at least in my case, they have to comply.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
just got off the chat with ATT too.... even before I asked them to wave the fee the representative offered a $25 credit for each line, I took it .