Why are there so many iPhone haters? (First iPhone owner experience)

AB Lambert

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Oh my gosh, I never heard so many people pissed that other people didn’t get the mobile they bought. Who cares!!! It is just a mobile.

They talk about people being isheep, but they have no problem buying Android and everything Android. Even my friend had a moment when he found out I got an iPhone 6 and not a GS5. I told him to get a grip and he is older than I.

I did not know there was such an issue before, and how bad it was. My kid would get in troubled at school for being a bully with the behavior I am seeing.

It's like I can’t decide how to spend my money.

Has anyone had a friend have a cow because they found out you got an iPhone?

A.B.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this is nothing new. You go on android central, imore and crackberry and you'll see this going on about each platform. After a while it's not even worth discussion. People claim other user's are sheep when they themselves exhibit the same purchasing behavior just for a different company. I don't get why people feel the need to have to be superior than others. We're talking about smartphones.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's an interesting pandemic that I imagine is fed by various factors. Instead of listing them all, I'll mention the one I personally feel is prevalent.

The favorite child

Samsung has come out with numerous flagships boasting high level specs, 'innovative' features, etc. Google has lent its prowess to the Nexus series. HTC, LG, and Motorola have their pieces of the pie. They run an open source operating system that claims to be more advanced, offer more features, customization, etc. On paper, Android and its phones should reign supreme.

But the bloggers talk about iPhones, tech sites talk about iPhones. iPhones break sales records. iPhones sell 4 million stinkin units in less than 24 hours. Apple and the iPhone is the favorite child despite lesser 'specs', the 'walled garden', the 'high cost', the 'phone with features that were on android in 2012'.

And it drives android fanboys crazy!! They hate it. They hate Apple for it. And they call you a sheep. Even though you could Just. As. Easily. go out and buy an android phone instead. They hate that you choose the iPhone over their phone. It's THEIR phone that's supposed to reign supreme! How dare you!

I surmise that if fanboys of either platform would worry a little less about what others are using and spend more time enjoying what they chose to buy, we could all get along that much better and enjoy each other that much more.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
It's easy to hate the number one selling smartphone in the world, and the one that HAS BEEN ever since it stopped being an AT&T exclusive. Most iPhone bashers only do it because they wished their Android, BlackBerry and Windows phones worked as smoothly and had the same amazing hardware build quality & equally amazing application ecosystem that the iPhone has...or even come close. They have their devices because they are "individuals" and "aren't iSheep"...but they can't be happy unless they're insulting and putting down someone who is just happy with a mobile device that simply WORKS and doesn't require rebooting or correcting as a result of downloading some stupid buggy app that some guy in his basement made.

I've been a moderator on two large mobile-specific message boards...and it's a never ending deal. You don't especially see iPhone fans (or even blind/deaf/dumb fanboys) trolling Android, BlackBerry or Windows sites...but you see the owners of those other devices try to crash the party on iPhone sites all the time.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
My opinion, people need to justify their own purchase by telling others their purchase decisions are wrong. I've owned blackberry's, androids and iPhones therefore i personally know exactly what each have to offer. I will never bash one over the other

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Well I was an Android user for a couple of years.
My 5C has been one of my most stable, trouble free devices.
So I fear I am turning into an iSheep.
I bought an iPad Mini, soon to arrive.
And I am seriously considering the i6 upgrade time.

Last edited:

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't get caught up in those rants. I use what works for me, right now it's my 5s. I miss the big screen and the trace key board of the nexus 5, but I like the Touch ID and camera on iPhone better. Plus Apples build quality has not been beaten yet.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, it?s because of the need to feel like you (they) made the best choice. If you buy a brand X smart phone, and everyone else has brand Y, it somehow reflects on your ability to choose best/wisely.

Of course, that?s pure bunk. There is no perfect device. There may very well be "a perfect device for me", but that?s as far as it goes.

Might have something to do personal insecurities, and the need for validation.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It's an interesting pandemic that I imagine is fed by various factors. Instead of listing them all, I'll mention the one I personally feel is prevalent.

The favorite child

Samsung has come out with numerous flagships boasting high level specs, 'innovative' features, etc. Google has lent its prowess to the Nexus series. HTC, LG, and Motorola have their pieces of the pie. They run an open source operating system that claims to be more advanced, offer more features, customization, etc. On paper, Android and its phones should reign supreme.

But the bloggers talk about iPhones, tech sites talk about iPhones. iPhones break sales records. iPhones sell 4 million stinkin units in less than 24 hours. Apple and the iPhone is the favorite child despite lesser 'specs', the 'walled garden', the 'high cost', the 'phone with features that were on android in 2012'.

And it drives android fanboys crazy!! They hate it. They hate Apple for it. And they call you a sheep. Even though you could Just. As. Easily. go out and buy an android phone instead. They hate that you choose the iPhone over their phone. It's THEIR phone that's supposed to reign supreme! How dare you!

I surmise that if fanboys of either platform would worry a little less about what others are using and spend more time enjoying what they chose to buy, we could all get along that much better and enjoy each other that much more.

This is, perhaps, the BEST synopsis that I've ever seen regarding this topic. Hammer meet nail.

michikade

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I feel ya, there's always someone who hates this platform or that platform.

My choice comes down to what phones offers what I need / want for the next couple years (because I don't have the money to get one of everything or always get the latest greatest when it comes out).

I've had blackberry, android based devices and iPhone. I've found that iPhone offers what I need and what I want more consistently than Android did. I LOVED my blackberry curve keyboard and text based messaging capabilities but so far as apps went it wasn't anywhere close to comparable to android and iOS. There are a select few apps that I miss Android for (either unavailable for iOS or the app GUI isn't as elegant) but generally speaking iOS has more of what I need and/or has a comparable alternate for those few things I miss.

Last year when I was in the market for a new computer a sales guy at Best Buy tried to talk me out of a MacBook and to get a Windows phone and computer instead because the "integration was better" between windows devices vs apple devices. Everyone has an opinion, I guess, and I haven't researched it but I knew what I wanted and that guy talked me out of that store and into an Apple Store instead, heh, because he was poo-poo'ing on me trying to spend $1500+ on something I KNOW will last me years over a Windows computer that may last me a year or two tops before it inevitably has some issue and/or breakdown. I'm thrilled with my iPhone and MacBook with the Notifyer app sending my notifications to my computer screen and from my understanding it's just going to get better. Maybe Apple is behind the curve, I don't know or really care, but I DO know that when they get there, they'll have done it in a very elegant, easy to understand and use way.

RetroAndreas

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I personally use a Z30 (though I own iMacs, MacAirs and iPads) and find the BB10 OS simply the best mobile app for the way I work. Android with its customization and Google integration is great but I don't like Google's business model and no longer use any Google services. iOS with its refined apps and simplicity is nice and all, but honestly the OS is too basic for me. Not direct enough if that makes sense. iOS doesn't work/multitask the way i do.

In the end use what you like then go out and buy the new total kickazz Blackberry Passport :)

candy jar

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
It's embarrassing how some people act regarding mobile phones. Why do people care what phone you use? I am on my third apple phone. I like the iPhone. Simple as that. I don't have to justify it to anyone. I could care LESS what phone people use and would never insult anyone who enjoyed whatever device they want/need/use. Just. Don't. Get. It.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
its part of the reason I never come on here hardly anymore.. At one time I was addicted to blackberry and hate to admit I was part of the same problem.. however now I am a few years older and really have no opinion on what device someone buys. I am in IT my phone is a crutch at the moment iPhones are a stable device that I can rely on.. if that changes maybe sometime in the future I purchase an android etc.. I now decided to not argue about what phone a person gets and let people make there own decision on what they like and want..

so if I have ever bad mouthed anyone here in the past I apologize it won't happen again

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
IMHO, it?s because of the need to feel like you (they) made the best choice. If you buy a brand X smart phone, and everyone else has brand Y, it somehow reflects on your ability to choose best/wisely.

Of course, that?s pure bunk. There is no perfect device. There may very well be "a perfect device for me", but that?s as far as it goes.

Might have something to do personal insecurities, and the need for validation.

Exactly.

As an IT consultant, I was asked MANY times which phone was best. My answer was always the same - whatever works best for you. While I could provide some anecdotal evidence as to what specific devices may have more issues in terms of reliability and durability, as far as the platform goes, I would tell them to get that which works best for them. It was a no-win situation for me. I either came across as unhelpful or wishy-washy, or if I had told them to pick a particular platform, someone else with a different opinion would have come in and told the user why that choice was wrong. So, I always prefaced my speech with the disclaimer that I could never tell someone what to get, but I could steer them away from problem devices (never problem platforms). Only safe way to go.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
For some reason, tons of people hate high quality phones with excellent customer support. I haven't ran into any hardcore fandroids in real life, but on the internet, especially other forums like on CNet, they're everywhere. They pretty much belittle you because you chose a different phone than them. Good thing I don't really care what other people think ;)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
For some reason, tons of people hate high quality phones with excellent customer support. I haven't ran into any hardcore fandroids in real life, but on the internet, especially other forums like on CNet, they're everywhere. They pretty much belittle you because you chose a different phone than them. Good thing I don't really care what other people think ;)

I worked with an android fan, but it never got as nasty as it did with online communities. He was very enthusiastic about his platform, though. I could see him getting really passionate about android. But we both ended up thinking that our respective platforms worked best for each of us and there wasn't much point in debating or arguing about it. We still take little digs at each other, but it's always done in fun.

I also know a Crackberry addict or two, and they are generally more condescending towards iOS than the Android users I've come across. In that case, I do believe it is a kind of psychological technique they use to justify their choice.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I used to be an iPhone hater. I followed the crowd. That was until I owned an iPhone and experienced it for myself. However, I am by no means an iPhone fanboy who completely trashes Android or any other OS or brand like many iPhone owners do. I'm open minded. I've used Android in the past and like many of it's features that I wish iOS had. So it still burns me every time I see an iPhone owner bashing Android and it's users.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I worked with a fandroid, but it never got as nasty as it did with online communities. He was veryenthusiastic about his platform, though. I could see him getting really passionate about android. But we both ended up thinking that our respective platforms worked best for each of us and there wasn't much point in debating or arguing about it. We still take little digs at each other, but it's always done in fun.

I do the same with a lot of my friends that have Android phones. All of them aren't hardcore fandroids, but we still jab at each other like you said. One of the managers at a store I work at is a pretty hardcore Android fan, and he has gotten into a 10-minute lecture at me about why iOS sucks and asking me why I don't switch to Android haha

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711