Why are there so many iPhone haters? (First iPhone owner experience)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I do the same with a lot of my friends that have Android phones. All of them aren't hardcore fandroids, but we still jab at each other like you said. One of the managers at a store I work at is a pretty hardcore Android fan, and he has gotten into a 10-minute lecture at me about why iOS sucks and asking me why I don't switch to Android haha

I don't try to persuade anyone to pick my platform. I never know what they want/need with a phone or what they expect out of one. (Now, if/when my parents get a smartphone, I will steer them to the iPhone since I will be more than likely providing tech support. I have my limits when free tech support is expected.)

Darthstorm528

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I have had Blackberry, Android and iOS and I was once a hardcore Blackberry fan, back then I always considered an iPhone a waste because it was basically an iPod touch with a phone. Well in 2011, I got the iphone4, and I took back every bad thing I said about iPhone because iOS is a very user friendly and stable OS unlike Android which is trash including Samsung products. I now waiting for my iPhone6 and I didn't regret going to iOS as my 3rd year using the mobile OS comes in November

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Crowd sourced affirmations. Mob mentalities.

You see this across the spectrum of brands from cars to restaurants to smart phones. Hell, the other day a heard a guy at home depot bragging that the wood he built his kids jungle gym out of was some kind of special wood made by blah blah blah and he wouldn't feel safe with his kids playing on someone else's jungly gym made from cheaper wood. I was in awe at how pitiful the conversation was...and the worst part was the guy he was talking to was affirming it to him that he was right and he was thinking about doing the same thing.

It happens every where. Own a Chevy? Hate Ford. Own an Xbox? Hate the Playstation. Love eating at Chipotle? Taco Bell is for poor people. Enjoying a nice, cold Coke? To hell with Pepsi!

It's a common occurrence everywhere...and it's just as pitiful everywhere. People need to enjoy what they enjoy for themselves, and not for what other people think of them owning it. If you buy an iPhone because you think others will find you cool or "part of the crowd", you're losing the game, and you're doing yourself a disservice.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I've been an iPhone fan and hater, an Android fan and hater, and I currently love my Blackberry but I know it doesn't meet my needs as a smartphone should. And so now, I'm sheepishly considering switching back to iPhone, lol.

I got massively frustrated after IOS7 and I had some very bad luck with bad customer service, whig I know is unheard of, at Apple, but it happened. But then I got an iPad Air and the customer service was wonderful, so there you go.

Android is a different story: I think Google has its pluses and minuses, and Samsung really screwed me when they forced the kitkat update on me, crippling my Note 3.

So will Android and Samsung improve? Possibly. It certainly looks like Apple has improved hugely so I'm considering giving the iPhone another shot. But one thing is sure:
With life being what it is in today's society, when a smartphone doesn't work, thing can go from bad to worse very quickly, which heightens people's stress levels.
Also, in some circles, phones are very much a status symbol and people's insecurities or confidence ride on feeling judged based on their car, clothes, phones etc.

All iphone haters would no doubt thank their lucky stars to find an iPhone if stranded on a deserted island. Or an Android. Hell, even a Blackberry. ;) But none will ever admit it.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Why are there so many iPhone haters? (First iPhone owner experience)
They talk about people being isheep, but they have no problem buying Android and everything Android...a bully with the behavior I am seeing.

I think it's a product of "tribalism." Most people like to "belong" from a very young age. They seek acceptance. And it don't think that inherently is bad. But it can become an "us and them mentality." And i think all of that manifests itself in many many ways but it's the same problem. It's us and them. You see it with kids that play Call of Duty or Battlefield, Xbox one/360 or PS4, Windows or Mac. It's "We're real Americans and they aren't", It's my kids go to this school, yours don't. I had a Palm Pre and you should see the irrational vitriol they spewed at apple in the Webos forums. Yes they say you were all "sheep." But oh yes it works the other way around because there are plenty of iPhone users that who look down on others for not being part of the "Cult of Mac." They, love there "luxury" phone and like that it's for "us" and "them" can't afford it like they can. It becomes a status thing to identify like minded people.

But people also want to have their life choices validated. They want to know they are part of the right group and in doing so many go to the extreme of lashing out at others in an effort to validate their own choice by denigrating that of others. Calling people iSheep is simply an attack on you're choice to join the apple group, or tribe in this case. To me the "fanboy" mentality, regardless of the side is simply a manifestation of that. And when you say they can buy an android everything, yep. It's because they have simply picked a side and are only seeking to validate their choice. They can't stand back removed from their choice and simply say, I've made a choice for me and you've made a choice for you. It doesn't make mine wrong or yours wrong. That's why they can't see they are doing the exact same thing when they tout their android phone. And i think you're spot on that it's bullying behavior. It's not physical but it's comes from a same mentality of talking down to people in my opinion. And again, i see it on both sides of phones. I've seen many a post on iMore that amount to, Apple is better, Samsung sucks. It's just the other side of the coin. But the same tribalism problem.

"Blowing out another's candle won't make your's shine brighter."

Has anyone had a friend have a cow because they found out you got an iPhone?
i don't talk phones with my friends. The only time it comes up is at the moment they are deciding to make purchases if people make an off hand comment like "i lost my phone." But my friends don't have cows because honestly they aren't judging based on phones. For most it's a choice and they move on after. I have one that's not a fan of iphones but he doesn't talk to me much about. But i know because he get's company phones so i've tested android phones when he switches. But my friends care more about, their sports team, tv shows, music, bbqing, day drinking, working out.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
As many people have said, it is about being a part of a group and wanting to be superior. Religion, politics, cellphones....it's always there. I've been guilty of it many times and I still, to this day, cannot figure out why my brain went into that mode. I caught myself constantly switching to belittling another platform for some reason. I'm a physicist and I think objectively and with data and it's a part of my brain that I don't understand. Now that doesn't mean, I can't tell you why I left Windows Phone, BlackBerry or Android. I did what a scientist would do and experimented(a very expensive experiment) and tried all the platforms. I always felt wanting though. All three of those alternate platforms had one or many MAJOR issues that just sapped any enjoyment out of my phone. I was always trying to fix something. To get better battery life. There was always something that was mediocre.

I think those people, at least subconsciously, see that.

They know what they have isn't all that they tell everyone else and they get people to switch to convince themselves that they made the right decision and to quiet that little voice in the back of their mind. Take Crackberry, for example. When the Z10 came out everyone was, "It's the perfect size. The Note is a joke of a phone. The processor is just fine because everything is optimized" Yet when the Z30 came out where it offered little else than a bigger screen and more processing power even though there weren't any intensive apps for it, people thought they were superior. Now they're back to making fun of the 6+ for the same reasons they were excited about the Z30.

Windows Phone - Well nothing really works on that platform and they're years into the OS and they have yet to introduce many basic functions into it.

Android - Well, despite all the awesome specs, the iPhone still beats it in probably the most important areas that a person will use their phone. Samsung has their screen yet people choose not to acknowledge how laggy Touchwhiz is or how ugly it is. Why processes always get stuck. Why apps close. That Samsung copied apple and put a finger print scanner on the Galaxy and now they are making fun of Apple for putting larger screens on their phones? Why does a 16MP camera not blow a 8MP out of the water. Why is there shutter lag? Why is there still blur in photos. The list goes on and on.

I recognize that part of what I see in other platform users in me and it makes me a better person for realizing those feelings and letting people enjoy their phones.
Now I just need to train myself to let go and not go into defense mode when people call me an iSheep online or to my face. I have a long way to go >_>

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I used to be an iPhone hater. I followed the crowd. That was until I owned an iPhone and experienced it for myself. However, I am by no means an iPhone fanboy who completely trashes Android or any other OS or brand like many iPhone owners do. I'm open minded. I've used Android in the past and like many of it's features that I wish iOS had. So it still burns me every time I see an iPhone owner bashing Android and it's users.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Consider yourself on of the very few. I know several Android users and pretty much every one rails against Apple with no real merit. I mean, when you get excuses like "Samsung is better because the screen is bigger." Yeah.....

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
People enjoy tribalism.

Also tho Apple hardware is consistently nicer but the software lockdowns annoy many. Before iCloud allowed me to leave iTunes syncs and backups behind, I fled to Android. Came back once I didn't have to deal with that annoyance. It was super frustrating before that.

I typically recommend to my friends that they use Apple stuff because there's much less that can go wrong. I generally do the same for myself (this one water resistant Android tablet aside) for that same reason.

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z using Tapatalk

jonathan sink

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm hear from wpcentral. I have used android, bb, and obviously WP. My iPhone 6+ will be my first iPhone. I will say I hated android and I love my Lumia 1520. What I don't understand is people that are so hardcore that they must try to shame you until you switch to there preferences. It literally drives my up the wall. What is even worse is blind hypocrisy, coming from wpcentral, for years I heard "WP doesn't need latest greatest hardware it runs great on lesser and thus gives you a cheaper phone." Now all of a sudden iPhone sucks because they use hardware from 2012. It's constant bashing on this point. It's amazing to say the least. I however am looking forward to my 6+, but will keep my 1520. Why can't we just use what we want when we want, without idiots trying to persuade us otherwise?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Oh my gosh, I never heard so many people pissed that other people didn’t get the mobile they bought. Who cares!!! It is just a mobile.

They talk about people being isheep, but they have no problem buying Android and everything Android. Even my friend had a moment when he found out I got an iPhone 6 and not a GS5. I told him to get a grip and he is older than I.

I did not know there was such an issue before, and how bad it was. My kid would get in troubled at school for being a bully with the behavior I am seeing.

It's like I can’t decide how to spend my money.

Has anyone had a friend have a cow because they found out you got an iPhone?

A.B.

They're just jelly. They have been fed too much kool-aid that the iPhone is this locked down phone that you don't actually own and can't possibly be functional. But really they are just jealous of it, they know if they actually try it they might like it. Then they will be the ones ridiculed for liking the iPhone. So they just launch tomahawk missiles of hate without any real experience or knowledge.

I used to bash Android pretty hard. Then I tried it. It's not bad, it does a lot of really nice things. I can see why some people prefer it over iOS. But it's not for me. I prefer iOS and my iPhone. I wish some people would at least give the iPhone a chance before they launch their attacks.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It's like Android or no way. I don't get why this back and forth started and it really stemmed from Google Plus, I was an avid user for years. I got tired of the Apple vs Android war. I use both, always but both and probably always will. If you like something, get it. If you don't, shut up!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm hear from wpcentral. I have used android, bb, and obviously WP. My iPhone 6+ will be my first iPhone. I will say I hated android and I love my Lumia 1520. What I don't understand is people that are so hardcore that they must try to shame you until you switch to there preferences. It literally drives my up the wall. What is even worse is blind hypocrisy, coming from wpcentral, for years I heard "WP doesn't need latest greatest hardware it runs great on lesser and thus gives you a cheaper phone." Now all of a sudden iPhone sucks because they use hardware from 2012. It's constant bashing on this point. It's amazing to say the least. I however am looking forward to my 6+, but will keep my 1520. Why can't we just use what we want when we want, without idiots trying to persuade us otherwise?

Welcome to Imore.

The iPhone 6/6+ doesn't use any technology from 2012.
Care to elaborate?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So after the iP 6 Keynote, my Android son gets on Facebook and proceeds to bash Apple and the iPhone. After he and his friend have their fun, I add a comment asking my son, 26 yrs old, which new iPhone I should get. He replies that if I have to get an iPhone, I should get the 5.5" Plus. Then he goes off on how his Galaxy S4 size of 5.1" makes better sense. I told him the Plus is what I would get just so my screen would be bigger than his. He hates Apple more than the iPhone. The whole feud over smartphones reminds me of some "good ole boys" arguing over the best pick up truck. Why the smartphone? Why not the fridge? My Hotpoint is better than your GE! It seems to me the answer lies in that the smartphone has become an extension of self. That makes it personal. And some can't get past it. It's just a smartphone, people! Debate is good. But when it turns nasty and personal, it becomes ridiculous. There's pros and cons to all brands and platforms. Pick what you like and hush.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
At work or socially, I can't remember hearing a "my phone is great, your phone sucks" conversation. The only comments I've heard about devices have been good natured jabs at those who still use dumb-phones. I'm not sure the issue is as bad in the real world as it is here on the Mobile Nations forums. I don't think most people give a second thought about what device their friend or colleague is using.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably referring to Android's latest Apple bashing
View attachment 64890

Yeah, but even that's. Not very accurate.

Allow me to enumerate:
Retina hd display is srgb accurate and features photo aligned ips liquid crystals with an improved polarizer; which basically means it will utilize less battery but still be brighter and sharper than the old retina display, especially in day light.

Forget about 2012, show me another manufacturer that has this technology in their displays in 2014!

The iPhone 5s already destroys the competition in display daylight visibility, this takes it to another level while using less battery to power the displays, talk about engineering prowess.

Nfc payment:
Again Touch ID and the secure enclave were not available in 2012.
With Apple pay the cashier or merchant isn't privy to your name, card number, or even past purchases.
all accomplished by a one touch checkout.
Once again forget 2012 show me a company other then apple that is offering all of that today.

Cross app communication:
Nothing compares to apples extensibility framework in iOS 8, where security comes first.

The rest 3rd party keyboards, typing suggestions, notification actions, battery stats, were available on the iPhone and ios well before android, they were available to the jailbreaking community since 2010/2011.

As for widgets, jobs showed that off personally way back in 2004 at wwdc during Mac OS tiger's introduction, he called it dashboard.

Come to think of it I would love to see any phone released back in 2012 with all the features apple introduced with the iPhone 6/6+ including:

Battery life
Touch ID
64 bit a8 chip with integrated image signal processor
m8 motion processor
802.11 Ac/n
Retina hd screen utilizing photo aligned ips crystals and is SRGB-accurate
One touch anonymous nfc payment
1.5 micron pixel sensor with f/2.2 aperture
and finally 20 LTE BANDS
all in a 6.9mm or 7.1mm package.

You know what forget about 2012, show me another 2014 flagship phone that can match the iPhone 6/6+ feature for feature.

I will wait ;).

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh Lordy I've got stories of insults, vile attacks, lies, and harassment that would make your hair go gray.
I am supposedly having an affair with someone who lives in England (nevermind the fact that I live in the US I have never met him in person on either side of the Atlantic), I am supposedly cheating on him and I'm a wild cougar IRL (never mind the fact that I've never met A N Y O N E that I've ever talked to in any site or online IRL), and the worst one involved dogs and it's too vile to even repeat. And the worst part???? Are you ready???? People who should know better are in there on that site along with the people insulting me.

THAT goes beyond the pale.

So.....I have seen the worst slanders possible. OVER THE USE OF A P H O N E. And NO, I'm not willing AT ALL to let it go and NO, I no longer believe, trust, or respect the worst of the appeasers. And yes, I'm letting them continue. It is amazing to me the isn't of energy they spend hating me. Actually it's rather flattering. The ones I find most repugnant are the appeasers who play both sides of the fence.

And all this.....because I have stated that my iPhone works best for me from all the platforms I use. And because I debunk myths and misinformation.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

Stan Jackson

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree, I just switched to IOS and like it. Is it perfect? of course not, none of them are but, I love the experience. I don't see what the hate is for. Ive had android since the HTC HERO! and enjoyed it a lot. Before then, I was with blackberry, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! So, my point is that, I wouldn't say I am a fanboy because I like certain things that each platform offers. With that said, I have really grown accustomed to this butter-smooth, no-lag, great hardware device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner