AT&T's Next Plan: How much the monthly payments will be for the 64GB iPhone 6 model?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If you upgrade to the next iPhone model next year, when you get the next model, you give your existing iPhone back to them. Read the details on the plan, it's spelled out pretty clearly. You're essentially RENTING the iPhone from AT&T.

NOBODY reads the fine print any more. Too much effort up front. And then you can’t cry "Hey, no fair" down the road when you get bit in the butt.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Remember, Sean, we’re living in the Land of Promise, in the Age of Entitlement. Didn’t one of the presidents promise us a 64GB phone in every pocket?

Oh wait...you're right. Obama promised us all iPhone's. WHERE'S MY GUBMENT iPHONE!?

All kidding aside, it's just sad to me that people are so much more willing to throw logic to the wind these days to try and find something to complain about. Here we have Apple offering a new device with more storage for the SAME PRICE as the previous model with less storage, and some how Apple is attacking...lol! What's next? Apple gives away iPads to people, and because they only give away the white and silver model, they are being racists?

Some days I just want to jettison myself to the moon to escape the idiocy.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh wait...you're right. Obama promised us all iPhone's. WHERE'S MY GUBMENT iPHONE!?

All kidding aside, it's just sad to me that people are so much more willing to throw logic to the wind these days to try and find something to complain about. Here we have Apple offering a new device with more storage for the SAME PRICE as the previous model with less storage, and some how Apple is attacking...lol! What's next? Apple gives away iPads to people, and because they only give away the white and silver model, they are being racists?

It seriously is about entitlement. Since Apple did the "bonus" by bumping the MIDDLE device and the HIGH END device, why not the ENTRY LEVEL device? The short answer is: because Apple said so. And some see that as unfair. I am so over this stuff. Political correctness run amok.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It seriously is about entitlement. Since Apple did the "bonus" by bumping the MIDDLE device and the HIGH END device, why not the ENTRY LEVEL device? The short answer is: because Apple said so. And some see that as unfair. I am so over this stuff. Political correctness run amok.

I do enjoy when these "new school" people run into the "old school" folks like ourselves...reality checks are entertaining to say the least.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep unfortunately they dont see it as apple giving them free additional 32GB , but they see it as Apple taking away the 32gb . God save the next generation that has to be raised by the "new school" people! lol

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I saw hundreds of people trash talking Tmobile for giving 200mb data FREE to tablet owners. They fussed that it wasn't enough

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Next is good for people who are currently under contract and cannot afford to pay for a device in full. Most carriers will convert you to one of those plans rather than allowing an early upgrade on a 2 year contract. I agree that's its not the ideal way to go but it's just an option for people who have no choice but to pay full price. They warned us a couple years ago that carriers are trying to eliminate subsidies as much as possible and this is one of the ways. Another thing is Att gives you a slightly discounted pricing plan if using next vs the normal contract. So for many users it's a benefit. But yes for most, not the best. I've been on both sides of they coin.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just to provide a little more info.... Right now on a mobile share plan with both phones on contract, Att charges $40 per line for the 10gb plan. But if you get a phone via next it's $15 per device. So say you get the cheapest iPhone that around $27 bucks a month. So at the end the difference is negligible. Of course thes difference gets bigger the more expensive the device. So again I think it a most good for people on contract who cannot upgrade and for people who like to change devices often. These people are basically renting a device until the next one comes out. Good luck to all.... No matter how you're purchasing.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When you figure up the Next plan (or Edge plan from Verizon), you must factor in the ability of the standard contract (or uncontracted) customer to SELL their iPhone each year vs. trading in the device.

I've seen several break downs of the cost comparison between Next and standard contract...and if a person continues using AT&T, it appears that the Next plan would save them around $350-$400 over a 24 month period (if they traded in their device for a new device at the mid range, 12 month point). That savings does not factor in the standard contract holder's ability to sell the initial iPhone to off set the cost of the new model. I figured that, on average, you can usually sell an iPhone (standard 16GB model) for around $400-$450 after the release of a replacement model...multiply that by 2 (since at the end of the 24 month period they would essentially have two phones they could have sold for an average market price to offset cost).

So in the end, you have a range of $800-$900 off set to a standard contracted customer over 24 months vs. a Next customer who does not own either of the devices, and trades in the first for the second device at the 12 month point, and would still have to continue to pay payments for the 2nd device beyond the 24 month contract period. Factor in the price of an unsubsidized iPhone at the 12 month point for the regular contract customer, and you drop that offset about $250-$300.

That $350-$400 savings is negated by the offset of $800-$900 for the regular contract customer, so in reality, you're spending about $200-$250 MORE for the Next program if we were to try and equate the two.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
With Sprints it's Interest free but I never been the one to sell my old phones back to anyone other than my carrier or gift them to a family member. I like to upgrade every year and this gives me the option. I get a discounted plan and a phone that I want. Also I am not able to upgrade right now. I have to wait another year and I don't want to so I will be taking this way.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
These plans work perfectly for anyone who doesn't care about selling their out going device...and I'd venture to say it's a better option for those who would consider using a trade in service like Gazelle or the like, as the savings offset would be about equal in the end after 24 months (given how little you get for these devices on those trade in sites)...you might even make out better using one of these upgrade plans from your carrier if you ever consider trade in sites.

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
These plans work perfectly for anyone who doesn't care about selling their out going device...and I'd venture to say it's a better option for those who would consider using a trade in service like Gazelle or the like, as the savings offset would be about equal in the end after 24 months (given how little you get for these devices on those trade in sites)...you might even make out better using one of these upgrade plans from your carrier if you ever consider trade in sites.

I never sold my phones back because I am not a fan of Craigslist or Ebay so I think this is a good option for those. Especially since they have so many cheaper plans tailor made for things like this. I think it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish in the end.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That's true if you do the early trade-in to ATT or Verizon or whatever. But if you make all the scheduled payments at the end you own the phone and don't have to trade it in. So on the 24-month plan you have the option to trade-in after 18 months I think but if you make all 24 payments it's yours to keep or sell. Same with the 12-month trade-in plan. I think for that one you have 20 equal payments and if you make all of them the phone is yours to sell.
But those plans are a ripoff if you do the early trade-in. Otherwise they're ok because it is an interest free loan over the course of 20 or 24 months. Just the retail cost divided by 20 or 24.

You can also keep the phone if you just pay it off any any point within the payment period (20/24 months).

tomo63

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Using the Apple app are the only options for an ATT number to do "Next" or a new two year contract? I just want to pay full price with no strings. I'm not on contract now so why would the apple site force me to Next or another 2 year contract.

rootbeersoup

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Att next is good because it allows me to lower our bill from $155 to $90. I'm gonna get the iphone 6 for another $31 a month and still end up saving money.

On a regular plan with a subsidized phone, you pay full price for the phone whether you realize it or not. The difference is that with Next, you don't keep paying for it after your contract expires

pri79269

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Att next is good because it allows me to lower our bill from $155 to $90. I'm gonna get the iphone 6 for another $31 a month and still end up saving money.

On a regular plan with a subsidized phone, you pay full price for the phone whether you realize it or not. The difference is that with Next, you don't keep paying for it after your contract expires

I would hope that a next customer would be smart enough to just pay the first phone off, sell it and then sign up with next again.

ki4cgs

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just found this chart:

AT&T Next Pricing details:

AT&T Next 12 months 18 months
iPhone 6 16 GB $32.50 $27.09
iPhone 6 64 GB $37.50 $31.25
iPhone 6 128 GB $42.50 $35.42
iPhone 6 Plus 16 GB $37.50 $31.25
iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB $42.50 $35.42
iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB $47.50 $39.59

Last edited by a moderator:

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how much the monthly payments will be for the 64GB iPhone 6 model?
There's no information available yet on AT&T website.
I realize there are the 12 and 18 months options.

Also, is it possible to purchase the phone afterwards if you change your mind?

I don't know why Apple is not making a 32GB model this year. That's all the storage I need !!

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

37.50 for 12 months or 31.25 for 18. You can pay it off and keep it if you wish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem is why didn't Apple just drop the 16GB. It's a subtle attack on users claiming to have the entry iPhone starting at 32GB. I'm sure if we all poll Apple users, the sweet spot is 32GB. So, instead of dropping the 16GB.. they drop the 32GB instead and replacing it with the 64GB.

It's an argument for those that don't need a 64GB iPhone.. and is perfectly fine with a 32GB.

it's not an attack. It's business.

It's very simple. Apple's best selling device was the 32 gb 5s at $299. If they make that the base model and drop it a hundred dollars to $199, Apple is guessing people just like you will still buy the iphone six in 32gb versions but now at a hundred bucks less losing them $100 on every phone that goes to someone that otherwise would have bought a $299 phone. That is, they kept it at 16 gbs to encourage consumers to keep buying $299 the 64gb version so they can maintain their profit margins. It's not an attack. It's business. You buy the product or don't.

robynyc

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
If you upgrade to the next iPhone model next year, when you get the next model, you give your existing iPhone back to them. Read the details on the plan, it's spelled out pretty clearly. You're essentially RENTING the iPhone from AT&T.

View attachment 64421

With Edge and Next programs carriers are counting on making money on early traders. But if you use it as a way to spread out the payment over n number of months and stay until you pay off the phone, then the phone is yours and you can continue with it or sell it at that time. These programs are basically interest free installment payment options. Good for folks who wants to spread cost of the new phone over time and don't mind sticking with carrier until it is paid off. Plus you get other benefits such as reduced monthly access fee per line for using one of these programs. I am not seeing an issue if you are not planning upgrade/switch too early.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods