Will the new iPhone allow for simultaneous voice/data with Verizon?

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I may have missed it during the presentation due to poor video...

Also -- if it just going to support VoLTE, would the iPhone 5 with IOS 8 work???

Or do I need a NEW phone...

THANKS!!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From the part of the presentation I saw, what you mentioned was never discussed.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
It was discussed. You will be able to make an ip call with your iPhone using your wifi and while on the call, you can go out of wifi and the call will be hand over to the cell tower smoothly without you noticing anything. They said iPhone 6 and plus, they never mention if 5s could do that or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I may have missed it during the presentation due to poor video...

Also -- if it just going to support VoLTE, would the iPhone 5 with IOS 8 work???

Or do I need a NEW phone...

THANKS!!!

Once Verizon goes VoLTE, it still won't work for the iPhone 5. I'm 99.9% sure because it doesn't have a VoLTE radio like the iPhone 6 will have. That said, once VoLTE comes to Verizon (which is very soon), you can access voice and data simultaneously.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
do you guys even know why your able to do voice and data at the same time on some carriers and not on verizon? Do some research on the different technologies the carriers use and maybe you will come to understand .

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
do you guys even know why your able to do voice and data at the same time on some carriers and not on verizon? Do some research on the different technologies the carriers use and maybe you will come to understand .

Yes, I do know. Did you know you're using incorrect grammar in your statement? Might want to do some research and you will come to understand.

GSM has been able to do simulatenous voice and data without needing VoLTE or two radios for that matter. CDMA doesn't support it. The Verizon iPhone 5 and 5S only have CDMA radios and don't use two radios for calls like some Android devices on Verizon do in order to achieve voice and data. VoLTE will only require one radio (VoLTE) once Verizon flips the switch on VoLTE which essentially eliminates the need for CDMA on LTE devices equipped with the proper radio.

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response...

I still really like my iPhone 5 -- but for me, simultaneous voice/data is extremely necessary -- so I guess I'll be forking over $800 for a new phone...

4.7 inch 64 gb silver... :D

luniboy26

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Sigh, I'm going to miss this when I ditch my Moto X, but hopefully they flip the switch soon enough

Posted via the iMore App for Android

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Any timeline from VZW on VoLTE roll-out? Is it only something we'll see in like 5 years???